Notices
Disneyland Paris Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 11 Sep 17, 03:16 PM  
Link to this Post
stormflm595
Very Serious Dibber

Just back from my latest trip - Highs and Lows

Hi all!

Just back on Friday night from my latest DLP trips and instead of doing a trip report (as I'm rubbish at them and stop midway) I thought I would do a highs and lows post and a round up of my thoughts.

Highs

Food

The food this trip was wayyyy beyond my expectations! Usually I would rate the food in DLP as 'okay' but this trip it was all absolutely delicious!

California Grill is beyond a doubt the best table service meal I have ever had - I went for the Roast Pork Tenderloin with the Bean and Chorizo stew and then the Dark Chocolate Fondant with fresh raspberries, meringue and pastry croutons. It was so delicious that we passed our compliments to the chefs. The service was exceptional and our waiter attentive and hillarious! We even had a window view where we watched Illuminations during dessert! Very pricey but I will definitely be going back and 100% recommend it.

My favourite counter service was Fuente del Oro Restaurante - lovely fresh chicken fajitas and mexican rice.

Shout out as well to Vapiano in the Disney Village - what a great concept! We ate there 3 times in the end as the food was really good and you get HUGE portions so really filled our bellies!

Starlit Princess Waltz

What a beautiful show! As a huge princess fan, this really appealed to me and I was not let down. The choreography was very good and I loved the new designs of the princess dresses.

Stars on Parade

Very catchy music to a very colourful and fun parade. Really really enjoyed it, I thought this was on par with Magic on Parade even though there were less floats. Maleficent was fantastic! I noticed one or two things not working but it wasn't enough to ruin it - you wouldn't really notice unless you were looking our for any faults.

Hyperspace Mountain and Star Tours

Controversial I know but WOW WOW WOW! Star Tours was phenomenal! Hyperspace was incredible - it's still that classic launch ride but as a huge Star Wars fan I loved the new skin and story. I loved Mission 2 (didn't ride it as Mission 1) but I think this might be my favourite version to date.

That Big Thunder Mountain splashdown!

YESSSS IT WORKS AGAIN! Definitely got a faceful of water on one of our rides

Pirates of the Caribbean

It almost feels like a brand new ride...absolutely loved this and it's now my possible favourite ride over BTM Particular favourite moments was the visual effect on the ramp up of Davy Jones and/or Blackbeard and Red Head turning to piracy

Newport Bay Club

What a beautiful hotel - I have always admired it across Lake Disney on the way to the parks and back so this was the first time staying in it. It did not disappoint. All of the cast memebers were so lovely, the themeing was sport on, the hotel itself clean and fresh. We particularly enjoyed and made use of the Captains Quarters bar every evening for a beer and a wine.

Lows

Crowds

Strangely, the past 2 times that I have been this time of year the parks have been relatively quiet. This time, it was as though the whole of Spain was there Have they changed the dates of their Summer holidays this year or has the parks just been extra busy due to the Anniversary?

Whatever it was, queues were insnae - Pirates got to almost an hour sometimes with Big Thunder reaching 120 minutes! We still did most of what we wanted to do but at a much slower pace.

Character Meet and Greets

That being said, meeting characters was not feasable this trip. I was desperate to meet Donald and a princess I did manage to meet Goofy as his queue was suddenly short for a bit and I jumped in but no chance with any others. Even following ED92 on Twitter, I seemed to be in a different park or in Paris when unscheduled meets happened with the princesses and villains!

Illuminations

It's no Dreams, is it?

Eurostar - Paris side

We found the Eurostar so relaxing on the way there. Quite a different story on the way back. The train carriages got all mixed up - we were in carriage 1 which actually turned out to be carriage 18 even though we were told to stay put, then when we started moving we got told it was carriage 1 again. Then someone else came and told us this was carriage 18 AGAIN but that we could stay put. Phew! Not the staffs fault really but was not ideal. At least we got to stay put and in the end it turned out well for us as we ended up being the first of the train at St Pancras and through security and customs in 2 minutes!

Well...that's it! Overall I had a great trip! Now off to do some Walt Disney World planning!
Old 11 Sep 17, 03:32 PM  
Link to this Post
sammykitten
Imagineer

"Illuminations - its no Dreams, is it?"

you can flippin well say that again
sammykitten is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 17, 04:12 PM  
Link to this Post
stormflm595
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by sammykitten View Post
"Illuminations - its no Dreams, is it?"

you can flippin well say that again
Haha! So glad I wasn't the only one rather underwhelmed by it!

Although I did like the Pirates and Star Wars bits!
Old 11 Sep 17, 03:43 PM  
Link to this Post
YankInScotland
Helping Minnie

So glad to hear the food is improving and I can't wait to ride the new Pirates! We go next week...can I hope the Spanish schools are back this week?!
YankInScotland is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 17, 04:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Jaybeez
Imagineer

Jaybeez's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We've just returned from DLP as well. I agree with you about the crowds, we were surprised at the number of Spanish families there and didn't realise that their children hadn't gone back to school yet.

We also really enjoyed Vapiano, we have two vegetarians in the family so it was perfect for us.
Jaybeez is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 17, 04:16 PM  
Link to this Post
stormflm595
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Jaybeez View Post
We've just returned from DLP as well. I agree with you about the crowds, we were surprised at the number of Spanish families there and didn't realise that their children hadn't gone back to school yet.

We also really enjoyed Vapiano, we have two vegetarians in the family so it was perfect for us.
The Arabiatta was so yummy!

Yes same, I've never seen it like that before! Oh well...still has a lovely time!
Old 11 Sep 17, 04:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Jaybeez
Imagineer

Jaybeez's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by stormflm595 View Post
The Arabiatta was so yummy!

Yes same, I've never seen it like that before! Oh well...still has a lovely time!
Annoyingly we could have gone a bit later if my daughter's university had known the date that students were back, I ended up booking a bit earlier just in case she went back early. We had a great time as well though and luckily had some hotel fastpasses so that helped.
Jaybeez is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 17, 04:15 PM  
Link to this Post
stormflm595
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by YankInScotland View Post
So glad to hear the food is improving and I can't wait to ride the new Pirates! We go next week...can I hope the Spanish schools are back this week?!
Yes me too - I was really surprised as most meals are average IMO. Not anymore seemingly!

I think you'll just miss the crowds depending the day you go...I think the latest they go back is the 19th
Old 11 Sep 17, 04:18 PM  
Link to this Post
YankInScotland
Helping Minnie

Mobile

Originally Posted by stormflm595 View Post
Yes me too - I was really surprised as most meals are average IMO. Not anymore seemingly!

I think you'll just miss the crowds depending the day you go...I think the latest they go back is the 19th
That's music to my ears!

Looks like Vapiano needs to be on my list. I think everyone would like it.
YankInScotland is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 17, 05:57 PM  
Link to this Post
wdw1991
Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks for sharing!

I'm hoping to get off the Eurostar quickly when we arrive back... I've picked carriage 1...date I ask which carriage should be the one closest to getting through first?
wdw1991 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List