Link to this Post
floridafan101
Very Serious Dibber

floridafan101's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Two Countries and Eleven States - Day 12 Rainy day in New Hampshire

30th October 2017

Rainy day in New Hampshire and then some!

Woke up early this morning to The sound of rain and if you’ve read the reports of the last 2 Days you won’t be surprised to hear that however this was more like Florida rain it was the sheer volume that woke me.
I went back to sleep somewhat apprehensive for our planned walk tomorrow on the Kancamugus Highway.
When I woke up at 7 it was still raining and I checked the news not surprising to find there had been torrential rain over night and it had brought localised flooding and broken power lines in New Hampshire
We went into breakfast and talked to the lady who ran the inn. She said that North Conway was ok but roundabout there were problems. She said the weather was forecast to improve in the afternoon if we planned a walk.
DH wasn’t happy and having planned a long walk that was what we would do. I suggested waiting till after lunch but no. Would this prove to be 5he right decision?
The rain appeared to have pretty much stopped at least

However as we hit Kancamagus we saw the results of the rain from last night

We parked up at the Albany covered bridge to see if we could do a walk from there.

No chance the other side of the river was flooded. However the bridge was beautiful if a little scary in view of the raging torrents beneath. You could feel the tug on it but it was safe.

This unfortunately wa the theme for the day. We found entrances to most of the walks barricaded off due to the floods and where they weren’t we would walk a few steps and there was the river,

Swimming wasn’t an option at any time apparently

Everyone got fed up

There are lots of lovely walks round here and lots to see

But not for us, not today.

We headed to Livermore and looked out at the rainswept mountains.

Then the sun came out

Then it went in again and the rain began again
We headed round to Lincoln and as the rain had calmed down we headed out to see how far we could get along the signposted walk. It was deserted

I did worry about bears but didn’t spot any wildlife it was clearly too wet!

We eventually reached the end of the line about a mile or so down the track

The paths were all gone and we turned back defeated and headed back to North Conway about 1pm promsing the boys they could go swim after lunch. That cheered up the long somewhat damp faces

Luckily the weather cleared up as we headed back to base!

In fact it was a rather lovely afternoon. I didn’t say anything. Best not to judging by someone’s face
We were soon back

The guys headed for the pool

I headed to the shops!

Right by the side of our accommodation

How fortunate or maybe it’s all about the planning

A couple of happy hours later I met up with the guys and we visited a couple more shops together before it was off to the Muddy Moose again

For another very good meal. I thought I deserved a cocktail after all that so I did!

Then it was back for our last night in New Hampshire, Massachusetts here we come.
One last word on our hotel here. The hots wee welcoming, the rooms were fairly spacious and there were board games and cards to borrow plus some old arcade games in the basement for the kids. Free coffee anytime and a great location. We got a great price, it felt out of season although apparently they do get busy weekends. However there were a couple of issues that may put people off - the decor!

Not to everyone’s taste perhaps

We really enjoyed our stay, North Conway was beautiful, people were friendly and the Countryside is stunning, I hope we go back one day.

Steps 12,866

States accumulated as before

2006 1st trip to Florida 2008 The return 2009 Its Florida again 2010 Florida again! 2011 Yes! Florida 2013 Florida please! 2015 Back to Florida 2016 California! 2017 New York (and beyond) 2018 East Coast Road Trip 2019 Florida one last time ... again!

Edited at 12:35 AM.
floridafan101 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 18, 05:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Hard to believe you were sunning yourselves in NYC. A shame the rain put paid to your plans...The bridge sounds scary!

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 18, 08:06 AM  
Link to this Post
yellowrose78
VIP Dibber

yellowrose78's Reviews
Shame about the weather, still looks like a good day though

Movieland Hotel IDrive - 2002 / POR - 2012 / 3 Weeks at OKW - 2014 / Villa at Highlands Reserve - 2016 / New York and Orlando - 2018 / Caribbean Cruise MSC Seaside - June 2019 / Orlando Covid cancelled 2020 and 2021 / Planning for Orlando 2024
yellowrose78 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 18, 10:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Blinking weather!

I love the red leaves - such a classic image of New England. I bet the boys were happy with the pool though!
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 18, 11:42 PM  
Link to this Post
floridafan101
Very Serious Dibber

floridafan101's Reviews
Originally Posted by yellowrose78 View Post
Shame about the weather, still looks like a good day though
Was such a shame especially as we’d had such good weather earlier in the holiday. DH has never stopped moaning about the bad timing still fantastic to visit this beautiful countryside.

2006 1st trip to Florida 2008 The return 2009 Its Florida again 2010 Florida again! 2011 Yes! Florida 2013 Florida please! 2015 Back to Florida 2016 California! 2017 New York (and beyond) 2018 East Coast Road Trip 2019 Florida one last time ... again!
floridafan101 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 18, 03:44 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

We’ve got the Green Granite Inn booked for this summer! I’ve made a note of the Muddy Moose.
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 18, 09:00 PM  
Link to this Post
floridafan101
Very Serious Dibber

floridafan101's Reviews
Originally Posted by CrispyA View Post
We’ve got the Green Granite Inn booked for this summer! I’ve made a note of the Muddy Moose.
Lovely little town and the Muddy Moose was just great for food and atmosphere have a fab trip it’s definitely somewhere I’d like to go back to.