Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 Jun 18, 06:15 PM  
Link to this Post
scottsmummy
Excited about Disney

Why is job hunting so hard? *Edit* Got a job!

Sorry, this is just me feeling sorry for myself, but just wondered when it became so hard and also so infuriating job hunting?

I was made redundant when my office was relocated and we were offfered a job 400 miles away with no extra pay! It's all happened pretty quickly, 6 weeks in all from finding out to the office shutting. So have been looking since I found out, and am still not getting anywhere. Have had plenty of interviews but I seem to find that no one has any urgency in letting me know what's the outcome.

Has anyone else had experience of this? I interviewed a month ago for a position and have heard nothing back at all. Interviewed for a very large company 2 weeks ago, I felt it went very well and again nothing! Then the worst was getting called to a 2nd interview on Friday last week, being told I was in the final two and would hear this week as they wouldn't keep me hanging and yet again nothing! I have sent polite thank you/chaser emails and still nothing.

I'm beginning to give up hope as I work in a very specific industry and there are not many jobs up here in Scotland any more. Has anyone got any words of wisdom? It's getting me so down that I can't even look forward to my holiday any more, in fact I'm actually dreading it at the moment as I feel so low. I actually feel useless as I can't seem to catch a break, but workmates have all secured new positions, so it makes me feel even worse.

Sorry that this is such a pity party, just needed to get it out!

Sarah

Edited at 12:12 PM. Reason: Title change
scottsmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 18, 06:28 PM  
Link to this Post
chrisxal
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
OK, chin up girl, the reason you haven't secured a position yet is because there is something better out there somewhere with your name on... but in the meantime have you considered a change of direction, I have no idea what you do but if jobs in your line of work are scarce then you might have to look at what transferable skills you have or perhaps you have a hobby that you could turn into a career? I sincerely wish you luck and hope something turns up for you soon.
chrisxal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 18, 07:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Dan's Mum
VIP Dibber

I have every sympathy with you. DH was made redundant last year in March and applied for lots of jobs including ones he was headhunted for but everything turned into nothing. Like you he went to interviews and never heard anything back, spending his time and money. Finally in December he got a job he really enjoys and is loving it. Money is slightly lower but a little bit closer to home and the train fare is less so not too much to loose.

Please don’t let it get you down, your next employer will be lucky to have you and as has been said above, the best job is just down the line.

Fingers crossed you’ll hear positive news soon.

Xx
Dan's Mum is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 18, 07:19 PM  
Link to this Post
scottsmummy
Excited about Disney

Thank you guys. I was in my job 8 years, so have not really got experience of much else as this was my first proper job and I worked my way up through to where I am now. I worked in retail merchandising and there aren't a lot of fashion head offices in Scotland now. I'm looking at other options, but everything seems to want experience I don't have.

I'm really hoping I hear something soon, but I wondered if not hearing after interviews was a new thing, as it's so harsh when you've spent time and effort to go and see them.

Sx
Old 21 Jun 18, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post
fleurbie
Apprentice Imagineer

I know exactly how you feel I'm in the same position I was made redundant in March and I wanted a month or so off as we had a holiday booked so I've been properly job hunting since middle of May really so not too long but I've had a few interviews which have gone well but then nothing.
I am trying to look at a different route as I was in retail for 20 years I'd made my way up to a senior hr manager role but trying to keep away from retail as at 48 I want a bit of work life balance which is priority now over money
Good luck I'm sure we will be posting about our great new jobs soon I do keep thinking maybe I should move to WDW and work there!
Nov 19 CBR, September 22 BRV, BWV 💕
fleurbie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 18, 12:14 PM  
Link to this Post
scottsmummy
Excited about Disney

Thank you for letting me have my little pity party. Just wanted to update to let you know that I got offered a job on Friday! So relieved and happy as it means I can relax and stop feeling like a failure.

I don't post a lot I'm this section of the forum so the good vibes and wishes are so much appreciated!

Sx
Old 24 Jun 18, 12:27 PM  
Link to this Post
happytraveller
Imagineer

Originally Posted by scottsmummy View Post
Thank you for letting me have my little pity party. Just wanted to update to let you know that I got offered a job on Friday! So relieved and happy as it means I can relax and stop feeling like a failure.

I don't post a lot I'm this section of the forum so the good vibes and wishes are so much appreciated!

Sx
Woo Hoo! I'm so happy for you
happytraveller is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 18, 01:24 PM  
Link to this Post
mandevillepete
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Well done. Really pleased for you.
Old 24 Jun 18, 02:09 PM  
Link to this Post
chrisxal
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
Congratulations, you must be feeling very proud of yourself
chrisxal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 18, 02:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Dan's Mum
VIP Dibber

I am so pleased to read your update.

Congratulations. Sit back and have a well earned drink!

Dee
Xx
Dan's Mum is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List