Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 21 Jun 18, 06:58 PM  
Link to this Post
HappyThoughts
Imagineer

Avoid or go?

Bit of a random question but I’m just looking to see what’s best way to for us to do a water park or if should we maybe consider avoiding it?

Basically I’m taking an autistic & epileptic adult (he’ll be 22 yrs old but mentally only 5/6), my DS who will be 11 & has high functioning autism & my DD who’ll be 10. Only the 21 yr old is a strong swimmer, the other 2 have had lessons through school but ideally would need a vest or at least the 10 yr old would. It sounds manageable in general but the problem is I’m also deaf & obviously can’t wear my hearing aids in the water, & my eye sight is pretty poor without my glasses (can’t see anything but blur/blobs past the length of my arm type of poor).

On our last trip we had another adult with us so I had help when we went TL but as I said I’m on my own this time & while all 3 would love to go even simple things like reading a park map would be a nightmare as they’re up pretty high & I can’t see them that well, the 2 boys struggle with their reading & the 10 yr old is currently tiny (9yr old & still in 5-6 clothing lol). Then of course there’s the safety issue that comes to being in water.

I have prescription sunglasses but am I allowed to wear them on the rides? Is there any other ways to get around this problem? I’m really wondering if we should avoid all of this stress, skip the water parks & have extra days in the actual theme parks instead. Sorry for such a long post!

Edited at 07:05 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake
HappyThoughts is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 18, 08:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Juliemack
waiting impatiently...!

Juliemack's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
I so wish I had some practical advice for you but I think it would end up quite a stressful experience for you trying to constantly watch all three of them at the same time. I would leave the waterparks for another visit when the younger two are a bit older and more able in the water. I'm sure you'll all have a fabulous time anyway
Juliemack is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 18, 08:49 PM  
Link to this Post
RachelE
Excited about Disney

Honestly, I don't think I would attempt the waterparks in the circumstances you describe - but then I am very risk averse!

More park days sound great to me.

Have a lovely time.
RachelE is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 18, 08:52 PM  
Link to this Post
spenners
I'm Ready To Go NOW!

spenners's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 10
DIBB Villa Reviews: 5
I wear my prescription sunglasses at Typhoon Lagoon on all the rides. I have a glasses strap like the one in the link below:
screwfix/p/bolle-spe...FYYh0wodeyMJtQ

I also use it on the rides in the theme parks. Good luck 🍀

Las Vegas - October 2023 (6th West Coast Trip)
New York - February 2019 - My 50th Birthday Trip (1st Visit)
Florida - January 2024 - Taking mini me for her 30th birthday (22nd Visit to Florida)
Florida - September 2024 (23rd visit) - just me and hubby
spenners is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 18, 08:55 PM  
Link to this Post
5gotodisney
Excited about Disney

You can get prescription swimming goggles quite cheaply. I ordered badic prescription ones online about three years ago and from memory they were all less than £10 each, Specsavers also sell them fairly reasonably.
5gotodisney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 18, 12:53 AM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

I wear prescription sunglasses in the waterparks all the time. On a fast slide I sometimes tuck them inside my swimsuit top or hold them in my hand but have never had a problem. Lifejackets are freely available. Unless you are afraid of any of them actually trying to "run away" from you I would give it a try. The life guards are very attentive and numerous. I don't actually consider them a dangerous location at all.
Old 22 Jun 18, 08:21 AM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile

Not sure which water park you're considering, but for instance at Volcano Bay and Aquatica they generally let you wear sunglasses, glasses and goggles on the slides. There's a couple at VB where they won't let you, but there's an area to deposit them at the base of the slide. I wear prescription sunnies and my hubby wears prescription goggles round the waterparks.

Having said all that I would avoid volcano bay because it would be hard for an autistic person to grasp the ride return concept and could lead to a meltdown as to why they can't do the slide right now. Speaking from a little bit of experience here as I have two cousins who are about the same as your older son.

Personally I'd be concerned trying to manage the two that don't swim well and your older son as well. I think it would be stressful trying to keep an eye on them all with the water safety issue. However life vests are generally available in both kids and adults sizes.

Have fun whatever you decide!
SquishTheWhale is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 18, 04:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Forkbeard
Imagineer

Some great responses regarding getting specs, and it would be such a shame if the kids don't get a chance to go.

If you know you can keep them together as you go around, and vests are available then I'd say go for it.

I agree with the other poster, avoid Volcano Bay with the queue system. You end up waiting around too much and young kids will get frustrated I feel.

Aquatica is fairly easy, just the Rapids to be concerned with. TL has the wave pool and that might be a worry. Blizzard has the small wave pool and quite hard to navigate out of a ring.
Forkbeard is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 18, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Definitely stay away from the Rapids if you go to Aquatica. I had a very hard time trying to get 3 kids to the exit at the same time. It wasn't dangerous as they had to wear lifejackets but very frustrating.
Old 22 Jun 18, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post
HappyThoughts
Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks for the replies everyone, appreciate all the thoughts.

We’d only be looking at TL or B.B (depending on what date it shuts for the winter), although we’re doing US I decided against getting Volcano Bay tickets in the end. I’m going to grab a strap for my sunglasses & if we study the park map enough before hand then we can maybe make a plan of attack & hopefully at least do a few hours there. I don’t want the kids to miss out but I don’t want to risk anything either

DLP: 2019, Feb: Santa Fe
HappyThoughts is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List