Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 Jun 18, 12:23 PM  
Link to this Post
JK's Mummy
Imagineer

Mobile Beginners running watch

Hi, I am a very novice runner but was wanting some advice on a decent (not too expensive) running watch. I like to use strava to log my run but hate taking my phone with me, but like music to listen to as well.

I have a fitbit which I love and would still like to log my steps during my run so was thinking of the fitbit ionic but not sure if this would let me use strava and ideally spotify whilst running?

Any advice is welcome- thanks
JK's Mummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 18, 11:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Procrastinator
Imagineer

Mobile

Samsung have a tie up deal with spotify. The samsung gear sport lets you download to the watch your playlist and listen to it while running. No need to take your phone. That is an awesome feature! Not sure you can get that on any other watch. But then you could just buy an armband and take your phone...

But i like Garmins. Aimed at running and they work well. I
linked mine to strava and there is no faffing around. I hit stop on the watch and 30 seconds later it is on strava via auto update. Garmin 235 is not too expensive and with loads of features. It counts steps all day including on the runs.

Never had a fitbit but check how it calculates distance. I thought it did it based on avg stride length x steps. Which is a rubbish way to do it and gives such varied and inaccurate results. The watches aimed at sports doing it usung gps amd are much more accurate.
Procrastinator is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 18, 06:55 AM  
Link to this Post
malt1977
Apprentice Imagineer

I’d second a Garmin, I’ve been looking in to the 735XT (no music though) and the price has dropped a lot and it does multi sport which is great if you want to go for a ride etc.

Another consideration would be the Apple Watch series 3 as this has gps built in now and you’d not need to tak your phone with you.

I’m torn between the 2 at the moment but I think I’ll wait and see if Apple announce a new watch in September...just in time for when I get to Florida later that month.
malt1977 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 18, 07:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Halsteragain
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

Take your phone in one of these. You would never know you had it with you. It's worn on your hips. No bounce. Then you have full access to strava, music, running programme apps, interval apps etc and your fitbit will track your steps
etc. Job done. You can also call someone in an emergency...
spibelt/Mobile/spi...t-c102x2358244
Halsteragain is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 18, 07:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Jockey
Imagineer

I have a Garmin 35 ...I love it. I use both it and an apple watch..I have my apple watch for everyday use tho. The garmin is basic easy to read and syncs with my fone well. I do a lot of running including ,marathons and its been great!
Old 22 Jun 18, 08:23 AM  
Link to this Post
pinkcandy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Halsteragain View Post
Take your phone in one of these. You would never know you had it with you. It's worn on your hips. No bounce. Then you have full access to strava, music, running programme apps, interval apps etc and your fitbit will track your steps
etc. Job done. You can also call someone in an emergency...
spibelt/Mobile/spi...t-c102x2358244
Got to agree with this, I have a spibelt and its worth its weight in gold. I would never go out running without my phone just in case (I run by myself though)

I have the fitbit versa which is amazing and would highly recommend it. It connects to your phones gps so it wouldnt be much use if you didnt want to run without taking your phone.