Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 11 Jun 17, 07:30 PM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 26
4 Hotels, 12 Theme Parks!?! Call That A Holiday? Yes, I Call It Heaven! May 2017.Day 3:KSC, Longhorn

Day 3: Kennedy Space Centre, Longhorn Steakhouse

TRIP INDEX

You guessed it, sleep issues once again. I had a sore throat and cold as well which wasn't helping but being like Superman I pushed on. I was up really early so thought I'd make use of the time and go to the hotel lobby to use the ATM and then go next door to Starbucks to grab breakfast. This plan did not go as I had hoped!

I asked in the lobby where the ATM was but couldn't find it. The person on reception actually had to show me. To be fair to me it was kind of hidden away like an embarrassing photo placed in the corner where no one could see it. This would be the first time I'd be using my Revolut card to withdraw money. I did so and then checked the app on my phone. Big discrepancy in the amount which sent me into a panic. I withdrew $400 but $450 was showing on the app and I had no idea why. Several days later I found out why. I had without knowing what it meant, accepted the banks conversion. Your supposed to select decline conversion but I didn't know anything about that. Lesson learned.

I then lost more money in Starbucks. When paying I accidentally gave the server three $20 bills instead of two. Of course I had found this out later. Not proving to be a good start to the day. Anyway back to the breakfast which I took back to the room. Nothing fancy. I grabbed 4 sausage and cheddar sandwiches and 4 hot chocolates.

Bloody expensive for what it was especially with the extra 20 I dropped the server.

It looked pretty cloudy today but that wasn't a bad thing after the incredibly hot weather we had so far. We were off to Kennedy Space Centre today. I was really looking forward to this being a big fan of the Apollo Space Programme. We set off around about 7.30am. I heard it was around an hours drive and KSC was opening at 9am

The drive was very straightforward although it had numerous tolls so I was glad I had my wallet handy and somewhere I could reach it! Like as it said on the tin, it took an hour. I had deliberately chosen a Saturday to go here as it doesn't really matter what day you go crowd wise but hopefully there would be a lack of the multi coloured t-shirt groups. My hunch was correct and it seemed pretty quiet.

We were let in at 9am and we headed straight to the bus tour to take us over to the Apollo/Saturn V area. I heard it was best to do this early. Annoyingly once in the queue we discovered that they didn't start the the bus tours for another half an hour.

I heard that to get the best views on he bus sit to the right. Now this is where I get confused which isn't difficult. Does sit on the right mean when walk on to the bus go to the right side or sit to the right of the driver? You guessed it. I chose wrong. It's sit to the right of the driver. Never mind. Our bus driver was the oldest bus driver in history. I think he may have driven the very first bus. Ever. He was knowledgeable but hard to hear at times. I found it all quite interesting but I could tell the girls found it pretty dull. In Evie's defence I think this was a very "visual" day and not great for her. This day, out of all the others was probably least suited to her which I felt bad about. I wasn't one hundred percent sure if Kelly was enjoying it either. She did spot an alligator but her usual quick photo reflexes missed it. Once we reached the Saturn V building it picked up a bit and I enjoyed the presentations in the mission control area. Seeing the Saturn V was great and I enjoyed that whole area. I think the girls enjoyed this area much more as well, Kelly was doing her best to wind me up by saying it fake and they never went to the moon! We took a fair few photos and a pretty good look around and even touched the moon.

This took us a couple of hours. We got the bus back and then decided to get an early lunch before we moved on. We ate at the Orbit Cafe.

Pretty basic theme park food but it was fine. Again, like Wawa yesterday, it was self service ordering on a machine. I only had cash but the odd machine accepted it.

Didn't order Kids meals per se.

Lily had Mac and Cheese. She liked it.

Evie had the chicken tenders. She didn't really like them.

Kelly had the chicken tenders sandwich. It was ok. Nothing special.

I had the Buffalo chicken tenders sandwich. Again it was ok, nothing special.

$46.98 with drinks.

After this we headed over to Atlantis.

I've heard his was meant to be really great. To be honest I personally wasn't blown away by it. Like I said I'm on Apollo Man. It was amazing to see the Shuttle close up though. The girls enjoyed pushing all the buttons in the cockpit.

Lily of course had to sit on the space toilet!

Their highlight of the day came when the could go down the inflatable slide as though they were exiting the shuttle in an emergency!

Kelly at this point wasn't feeling great. She had a pretty bad headache. Evie, I think was pretty bored at this point so they chose to have a seat somewhere while me and Lily went to the Mars section. We had a little bit of a look around but with Kelly not feeling great and not a lot for Evie here we decided to call it a day. It was only about 2pm at this point. I'd done the main thing I wanted to do so I was happy. We had a nice time but don't think we'd head back to KSC. Like I said definitely a visual day so not great for Evie.

On the drive home it was getting very dark and there was little bit of rain. Evie was really annoyed as she wanted to go swimming. I said I'd doubt we'd be able to as it looked so dark. Once we arrived back after an hour or so and numerous tolls the heavens opened. Really really big downpour. No swimming for definite. Predictable strop from Evie.

We packed up all our things so we ready for the morning as we be leaving the Wyndham ready for the next leg of the trip at a Universal at the Royal Pacific Resort.

For our evening meal we chose Longhorn Steakhouse on Idrive which we could walk to from the hotel. There was still a little rain about but not a great deal. I have been wanting to go here for ages but with normally being on the ddp it never made sense.

We had about a 15 minute wait as it was fairly busy. Once our pager went off we were shown to a booth in the corner which was nice. The server quickly introduced himself and was very good thoughout the meal.

The girls ordered Banana and Strawberry Smoothies to drink.

Kelly changed the routine up a bit and had Strawberry Lemonade which she liked.

I had the usual Diet Coke.

We were given some Honey Wheat Bread

I joined the email club and had a coupon for a free appetiser so we chose the Prairie Onion. This was nice but with the bread we didn't want to fill up to much so didn't finish either.

Lily wasn't amazingly hungry so just had a loaded baked potato without the bacon and green onion. She enjoyed it but didn't finish.

Evie had the kids Sirloin with French fries. She really enjoyed this.

Kelly didn't want anything to heavy so had the odd sounding Chicken and Strawberry salad. It had many things including things like feta cheese and pecans. She loved it.

I had been wanting a decent steak so pushed the boat out and had the 18oz Outlaw Ribeye cooked medium rare. I chose a loaded jacket as my side and a Caesar salad. It was epic. Loved it. I love steak but I am by no means an expert but this was the nicest I've ever had. So good. I cleared the lot.

We all really enjoyed the whole meal. Would DEFINITELY return. $84 including tip.

Afterwards the girls and Kelly wanted to have a look in the tacky souvenir shop which was a couple of doors down from Longhorn. Usual tat was bought. I surprised myself and bought a Harry Potter t shirt getting ready for tomorrow. The eagle eyed will spot in the next days report me donning said t-shirt. Lily nearly bought a t shirt that "Yes! I pooped today!" Classy.

We headed back to the room via reception to ask if we needed to do anything to check out in the morning. We didn't so that made things easy for a quick getaway. We packed up a few final things before we were all in bed pretty excited to start the next leg of the trip.

Edited at 09:05 PM.
gjdjud is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 17, 07:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Loving this report. KSC not high on my lit but DH went last time we were there.
Old 11 Jun 17, 08:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridafour
slightly serious Dibber

Great read as always

I have to confess I would glaze over if a trip to KSC was suggested by my DH. Glad you enjoyed it though, love Longhorns its one of our offsite faves.
Floridafour is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 17, 09:38 PM  
Link to this Post
EJSakaAnna
Imagineer

Mobile

Yummm Longhorns! I dream about returning to steak heaven regularly!
EJSakaAnna is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 17, 09:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Leia77
VIP Dibber

Leia77's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Nice that you got to see your Apollo exhibits, I quite fancy KSC, but as we only go for two weeks, struggle to fit it in. Longhorns does look tasty
Leia77 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 17, 10:37 PM  
Link to this Post
helenlovesdestr
Serious Dibber

Mobile

Glad I've found your trippie! We are about to do 4 hotels and 13 parks over 23 days so I'm interested to see how you fare! We go in august. Really enjoying reading along!
helenlovesdestr is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 17, 09:11 AM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
Originally Posted by Bootrip2 View Post
Loving this report. KSC not high on my lit but DH went last time we were there.
Very much a day for me

Originally Posted by Floridafour View Post
Great read as always

I have to confess I would glaze over if a trip to KSC was suggested by my DH. Glad you enjoyed it though, love Longhorns its one of our offsite faves.
Best offsite if not best meal of the trip

Originally Posted by EJSakaAnna View Post
Yummm Longhorns! I dream about returning to steak heaven regularly!
Definitely

Originally Posted by Leia77 View Post
Nice that you got to see your Apollo exhibits, I quite fancy KSC, but as we only go for two weeks, struggle to fit it in. Longhorns does look tasty
It is one of those days I think that's only if you have time. We wouldn't go again.

Originally Posted by helenlovesdestr View Post
Glad I've found your trippie! We are about to do 4 hotels and 13 parks over 23 days so I'm interested to see how you fare! We go in august. Really enjoying reading along!
It was all fairly straightforward changing hotels. I thought it would cause a few issues but it all went smoothly.
gjdjud is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 17, 10:33 AM  
Link to this Post
dixonsontour
VIP Dibber

dixonsontour's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
Mobile

Longhorn looks great, love the pic of you with your massive steak. Been to Kennedy a few times but not since dd was a toddler.
dixonsontour is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 17, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
Originally Posted by dixonsontour View Post
Longhorn looks great, love the pic of you with your massive steak. Been to Kennedy a few times but not since dd was a toddler.
I might frame the picture of the steak

There wasn't enough princesses or Harry Potter at Kennedy for my two!
Old 12 Jun 17, 06:24 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Dinner looks fab!

I can't believe the server didn't mention the extra $20. I know they have tip jars in Starbucks but surely they don't often see ones as big as that! They must have known. Not cool!
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List