Notices

Old 20 Aug 17, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post
LN89
VIP Dibber

C&L Beijing, Hong Kong and HK Disney - Nov 2017 - Pre-trippie *UPDATED*

Hi and welcome to my pre-trippie for our trip to Hong Kong and Beijing in November 2017.

I am Laura and my DH is Chris, we will both be 28 when we travel and live in South London. Here are a couple of photos 🙂

Even though this trip is still a few months off, life has been very busy with starting a new job so think November will soon be here so thought I would start planning and draft my pre-trippie.

This trip came about through our love of Disney and wanting to visit every Disneyland, so we decided on Hong Kong. We looked at flights and saw that it was cheaper if we stopped of somewhere so looked at where else we could go and decided on Beijing. You can stop in Beijing for 72 hours without needing a visa so we have worked out flights so we are there for about 70 hours !

The trip so far is:

We fly from Heathrow with Air China on Sunday at 8:25pm, landing in Beijing the next day at 2:45pm. We plan to get the airport express line.

All pictures borrowed from google.

I've provisionally booked two hotels through booking.com. The RJ Brown Hotel (£62 for 3 nights) or Dongfang Shengda Hotel (£83 for 3 nights). They both have free cancellation but I am currently swaying towards the Dongfang based on location and reading reviews.

RJ Brown

Dongfang, I think this hotel looks so cute!

We are planning to get the Beijing airport express train, then the metro. The metro map looks quite confusing, but I think I will print one before we go and mark where we need to get off! The Dongfang hotel is 600m from the nearest metro stop.

We have two full days. The first full day we will explore the city, seeing things like the Summer Palace, the Forbidden City and the Temple of Heaven. If anyone has any must sees for Beijing or any tips these will be gratefully received!

We are then planning to visit the Great Wall the next day. I think we will visit the Badaling section of the wall which can be accessed via a train. I have had a look at the timetable and the first train is about 6.30 so we will probably aim to get the first train so we can get there nice and early. I think we are planning to walk as much as we can around but I have read there is a cable car too.

I assume this will take a couple of hours and we will then head back and do anything else we want to do in the centre. We love a rooftop bar in a city, so we will probably try to find a rooftop bar for our last night. Although it is going to be much colder than our previous rooftop bar experiences in Bangkok and Kuala Lumpur! I have found one called Migas (First picture) and another called Yin on 12, both look amazing .

We leave Beijing the next day, flying at 1pm and land in Hong Kong at 4.25pm with Air China again. I imagine we will just get the airport express.

We've booked Dorsett Mongkok Hotel for 5 nights which is in Kowloon. This is £370 for the 5 nights. We will spend these 5 days exploring Hong Kong, including a trip to ocean park. I saw a video on Facebook a few months ago of this crazy rollercoaster and I looked up where it was and it was from ocean park Hong Kong so we've decided we definitely need to pay a visit.

I need to do some more research on must do things in Hong Kong but any recommendations are welcome 🙂.

We are then going to stay in Royal View Hotel for 3 nights for £268. This hotel is both near Disney and the airport so we are planning to spend two days in Disneyland. So excited to go to Disneyland again! We haven't visited a Disney since our honeymoon in May 2015 – far too long!

I would love to stay in one of the Disney hotels itself but are trying to keep the cost down. A two day Disney ticket is £150 for both of us.

We then fly home on the Friday at 8:30am from Hong Kong. We change at Beijing, landing at 12pm, taking off for Heathrow at 2:30pm landing at 5:50pm.

Thanks for reading .

Edited at 05:45 PM.
LN89 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 17, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Hi Laura

It sounds fabulous!

I went to HK about 6 years ago. The Big Buddah (NgongPing (which is near the airport) is worth a visit. I also liked Victoria Peak - I went early and did the walk around!

The longest escalators are a fun way to spend 30 minutes too!

Have fun - and good luck with the new job!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 17, 09:40 PM  
Link to this Post
NeeNeeWong
Getting Excited

Looking forward to reading your trip reports!
Old 22 Aug 17, 07:17 PM  
Link to this Post
FairyMagic
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Looking forward to your trip report, we are visiting Singapore and Hong Kong next year, how great that you can visit Beijing for 72 hours without a visa.
FairyMagic is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 17, 05:45 PM  
Link to this Post
LN89
VIP Dibber

**UPDATE**

Today we have booked to stay in the Disney Hollywood Hotel for 2 nights ! I am so excited . I went onto the Disney website to book our Disney tickets and noticed they had a 40% off Disney hotel deals! I priced it up and it worked out an extra £100 for two nights in a Disney hotel, followed by 1 night at the airport hotel! How could we say no to that! We also got a discount off the tickets

We therefore have booked two nights at the Disneyland Hollywood Hotel. We will get therefore on the Tuesday, we can check in from 3pm so we will aim to get there for then so we can go in the pool and make the most of the hotel. We will work out how to get public transport there on the MTR to save cost . We will then spend the Wednesday and Thursday in the parks as we had originally planned!

Photos borrowed from the Disney website

After the fireworks on the Thursday we will get a taxi to the airport. Our flight is at 8.30am the next morning so it will be nice to know we are already at the airport so we can hopefully get a decent nights sleep .

49 days to go
LN89 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 17, 07:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Getting there is easy - can't remember exactly how but it was just one change!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 18, 06:26 PM  
Link to this Post
loves2plan
VIP Dibber

Looking forward to this as we have a very tentative trip to HK planned for our wedding anniversary in 2020, but only if I can grab some reward flights

POFQ: Our 'once in a lifetime' trip, 31st Oct - 14th Nov 2012
SSR: 40th birthday trip, 2nd - 16th Jan 2014
SSR 2 bed villa: my mums first trip, 7th - 21st Feb 2015
POR: An unexpected Easter break, 2nd - 15th April 2016
CBR: Another unexpected Easter trip, 29th March - 12th April 2017
CBR: 18th birthday surprise trip, 21st October - 4th November 2019
Food report - the unexpected Easter QSDP extravagana! April 2017
What do we want? FOOD! When do we want it? NOW! QSDP food report, Oct 2019
loves2plan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 18, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
HiddenMickey35
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 2
Fab photos and fab hotel..

Scottishwee35
DCL 6-9April 06,DCL on 18 July 07, Medi.,DCL on 15 Nights Panama Canal - Westbound< May 08, NEW YORK NOV 24-30TH WITH 5 LADIES :, DCL on 3 July '10 for 8 days Dover to Barcelona RCCI - FOS 10 April '11, Spendlour of the Seas, 19 July 2013,Disney Magic 14 Nights WB Tranny Sep 6, 2014, Jamaica June 12-23, 2018, RC Cruise, Halloween 2019, Mexico with groups, Sept 2022, DCL Nowhere on 27th July 2021 for 3 nights?, Anthem of the Seas, Norweigian Fjords Cruise, May 2022
HiddenMickey35 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 18, 06:11 PM  
Link to this Post
LN89
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by loves2plan View Post
Looking forward to this as we have a very tentative trip to HK planned for our wedding anniversary in 2020, but only if I can grab some reward flights
Thanks! Let me know if you’ve got any questions, we loved it!
Old 16 Jan 18, 06:12 PM  
Link to this Post
LN89
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by scottishwee35 View Post
Fab photos and fab hotel..

Scottishwee35
Mostly borrowed from someone who has far better photography skills than I do