Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 11 Mar 18, 11:42 AM  
Link to this Post
amberspy
Imagineer

Mobile Fish pie

Never made before as never been keen but hubby keeps asking me to make one 😋
How do you make urs
amberspy is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 18, 11:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Jan
Imagineer

Jan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
I am sure that other will have something more exciting but here is what I do. Cook some white fish, code or haddock, and flake into oven proof dish, make a cheese sauce and mix a little bit into the dish, pouring remainder over the fish, cover with mashed potato. Put into oven for 30 mins to heat through and brown the mash. Simples.
Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 18, 12:18 PM  
Link to this Post

Cook cod, smoked haddock, salmon in milk with seasoning and bay leaf. Drain and save miik. Flake fish into dish. Make a roux - melt butter in a saucepan. Stir in an equal amount of flour and cook the mixture for just under a minute. Stir in the saved milk, a little at a time, making sure to stir well so that no lumps form. The sauce should thicken slightly but do not over boil. Pour over fish. (Some people like chopped boiled eggs added to dish).If you want to add raw prawns the dish must be cooled first. Pre cooked prawns cam be used but will go rubbery when re-cooked in the dish. If your prepared dish is hot then finish in oven at 200C for 30 minutes. If dish has been cooled or chilled finish in oven at 200C for 45 minutes. I serve mash separately rather than covering dish but it's all down to personal preference. Serve with garden peas.

Edited at 12:23 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 18, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

I use the Mary Berry fish pie recipe which is on the BBC recipes website.
My mum used to make it, It has hard boiled eggs in the potatoes , it sounds weird but tastes amazing.
I buy all my fish for pies from Aldi frozen cabinets as fish can be expensive.
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 18, 12:36 PM  
Link to this Post
chrisxal
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
I don't pre-cook the fish, you can either buy fish pie mix from the fishmonger or supermarket or I tend to pick up any fish when I see it on offer, I also mix in prawns and chopped up crab sticks, they add sweetness. Anyway I put raw fish into oven proof dish, make a sauce, I often use a packet mix garlic, mushroom and wine sauce, pour the sauce over fish and cover with mashed potato, grate some cheese over the top and pop in the oven for about 30 mins or until brown on top.
chrisxal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 18, 12:56 PM  
Link to this Post
olgaandcoda
Imagineer

olgaandcoda's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Can I add to the above and suggest you make extra portions and freeze them. Then just grab a meal for that evening. It’s quite time consuming to make one pie, so bulk make and freeze.
Old 11 Mar 18, 12:58 PM  
Link to this Post
amberspy
Imagineer

Mobile

Does anyone add any veg with there fish in the sauce
amberspy is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 18, 01:00 PM  
Link to this Post
tray22
Excited about Disney

Jamie Oliver fish pie recipe - really easy! (I use frozen Mash! ) jamieoliver/recipes/...ipes/fish-pie/
tray22 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 18, 01:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

I make a slimming world version of fish pie and its yummy I put leeks and sweetcorn I bottom of mine, I cheat with fish though and buy frozen fish pie mix from supermarket which has cod, smoked haddock and salmon in it and I'll add a few prawns too... I defrost the fish though night before, cook it in a fish or vegetable stock pot for ten minutes then put in ovenproof book with cooked leeks and sweetcorn for sauce I just add a tablespoon of cornflour to some of the fish stock and reduce that down for 5 minutes pour over fish and top with mash... We really like it
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 18, 04:58 PM  
Link to this Post
The 2 Minnies
slightly serious Dibber

Hairy Bikers recipe for me. I do add salmon as well though.
Making Fish Pie is always a faff but well worth it IMO.
The 2 Minnies is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List