Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 19 Apr 18, 04:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Silvercat View Post
Based on a macaroni salad I had in WDW last year, I've started making this in huge batches - 2 handfuls of dry macaroni, cook until - well, cooked! Cool, stirring occasionally so it doesn't all stick together. Then mix up in a big bowl with chopped fresh tomatoes, a handful of frozen peas, and some finely sliced celery. Couple of large spoons of mayonnaise. Done!

Pop this in the fridge, it lasts for at least 5 days. I then take a sealed plastic bowl to work each day, and have this with a boiled egg or a bit of ham.

This week I added some tinned sweetcorn, but the veg can be changed out for whatever you like, as long as you don't use something too watery, like cucumber for example, which would water down the mayo. It could probably be made with low-fat mayo if you preferred that.

I might try adding some grated cheese next time! Anyway, the point is, you can make a large amount of this from just a small number of quite cheap ingredients, and as long as you don't get fed up with eating it day after day, it lasts for quite a while.

I started making this as I got so fed up with sandwiches, but then was just eating bags of crisps and other junk food for lunch instead, which is why I've put so much weight on in the last 12 months. Actually, I think I may buy some low-fat mayo next week ...
Thanks for your recipe it sounds amazing. I will deff try this week. Oh I am the same fed up of sandwiches/rolls and I cant eat a sandwich without crisps lol.

Last summer we ended up buying out the shop everyday or going out for lunch. I cringe at the wasted money and also the weight I have put on. Deff going to try and be organised this year and eat better.
Minnie18 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 18, 08:14 PM  
Link to this Post
KymmieAKiss
Apprentice Imagineer

KymmieAKiss's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Originally Posted by Minnie18 View Post
There used to be a good NHS food site but I cant find it anymore. I will keep looking and share if I find it. If you wouldnt mind sharing that would be great.
Thanks

thats the one i use most
KymmieAKiss is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 18, 08:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks 😊. I cant go into it though. it says error.
Minnie18 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 18, 07:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Unexpectedpenny
Imagineer

My favourite lunch at the moment is salad with black beans, sweetcorn, radish, cucumber, spinach, carrot, red pepper, avocado and then either a little chicken/smoked mackerel/tuna. With a little mayo on the side or sweet chilli if I’m having chicken.

There’s some ideas here but some are easier to transport than others.
Unexpectedpenny is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 18, 07:40 PM  
Link to this Post
KateD
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

For saving money planning is key. I make a meal plan and shopping list so I know what I'm having for lunch and dinner every day ( I'm on slimming world but this applies to anyone,I have a meal planner from princess planning). I try to buy ingredients that can be used in both meals so if I have a pasta bake for dinner I'll cook extra to have for tomorrow's lunch (this saves money and time) . Also doing an online food shop helps me keep costs down as if I go over the budget I've set I will look over the trolley and take out non essentials, I also can't get distracted by offers ( I love a bargain and can't resist)

Some meals that are low cost and quick :
Jacket potatos with salad and a filling.
Pasta bakes
Chilli
Omelettes

Batch cooking and freezing as other have said also a good one.

We went to Florida in August last year and 1 day after returning completed on our house sale (proper stressful), we have moved to a bigger house so bigger mortgage and bills and the only thing I can save on is the food bill. The DH said 2020 for our next visit but I am desperate to go back and I am saving for Florida 2019. I have cut my food bill by £50 a week (we are a family of 5) and was able to book for October 2019.

Kate
KateD is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 18, 07:43 PM  
Link to this Post
tomdan
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by KateD View Post
For saving money planning is key. I make a meal plan and shopping list so I know what I'm having for lunch and dinner every day ( I'm on slimming world but this applies to anyone,I have a meal planner from princess planning). I try to buy ingredients that can be used in both meals so if I have a pasta bake for dinner I'll cook extra to have for tomorrow's lunch (this saves money and time) . Also doing an online food shop helps me keep costs down as if I go over the budget I've set I will look over the trolley and take out non essentials, I also can't get distracted by offers ( I love a bargain and can't resist)

Some meals that are low cost and quick :
Jacket potatos with salad and a filling.
Pasta bakes
Chilli
Omelettes

Batch cooking and freezing as other have said also a good one.

We went to Florida in August last year and 1 day after returning completed on our house sale (proper stressful), we have moved to a bigger house so bigger mortgage and bills and the only thing I can save on is the food bill. The DH said 2020 for our next visit but I am desperate to go back and I am saving for Florida 2019. I have cut my food bill by £50 a week (we are a family of 5) and was able to book for October 2019.

Kate
Wow, thats amazing where do you shop? Also could youput a meal plan up for all us non savyys😉
tomdan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 18, 07:45 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

Your slow cooker should be fine on low all day. That’s where they come into their own.

For lunch I also like a pasta salad similar to a previous poster. I start with cold pasta and add peppers ham carrot sweet corn mushrooms anything i have in really and a little bit of mayo or dressing to loosen it up.
BevS97 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 18, 07:30 AM  
Link to this Post
KateD
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Meal planner
KateD is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 18, 07:32 AM  
Link to this Post
KateD
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Old 23 Apr 18, 07:48 AM  
Link to this Post
kellwall
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I've got a white board in my kitchen. On a Sunday afternoon me and dh have a rummage through fridge freezer cupboards and plan for the wk. If we need something we pop a list on the side and only buy what we need.
kellwall is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List