Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 25 Apr 18, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post
f1girly
Imagineer

The Capitol tour (Washington) - opinions please

I've requested a tour of the White House and will apply to The Pentagon soon, I'm also thinking about a tour of The Capitol.

I'd appreciate any views about the tour please, on one hand I don't want to miss something that is really worth doing, but on the other hand don't want to tie up a couple of hours as we only have 3 days in Washington. Thanks.

Edited at 09:28 PM.
f1girly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 18, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Lizzim
Imagineer

Lizzim's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We did the Capitol tour on our trip in December (trip report link in signature) and really enjoyed it.

We spent most of a day at the Capitol in the end, but it was our second trip.
Lizzim is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 18, 09:59 PM  
Link to this Post
TinkerBabe
Apprentice Imagineer

We have applied for these tours for this coming July. My understanding is the Capitol tour only takes 45 mins (plus arrival and screening time which is unavoidable) and I’m hoping it will be a good introduction to D.C.

Although we have applied for the White House tour, I appreciate our chances of actually getting it are tiny, so I have put it out of my head and not mentioned it to the family. I would be interested in hearing other people’s view of the Capitol and pentagon tours.
TinkerBabe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 18, 10:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Lizzim
Imagineer

Lizzim's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by TinkerBabe View Post
We have applied for these tours for this coming July. My understanding is the Capitol tour only takes 45 mins (plus arrival and screening time which is unavoidable) and I’m hoping it will be a good introduction to D.C.

Although we have applied for the White House tour, I appreciate our chances of actually getting it are tiny, so I have put it out of my head and not mentioned it to the family. I would be interested in hearing other people’s view of the Capitol and pentagon tours.
The tour itself is only 45 mins but you can also get a pass to the senate or the house where you can watch the politicians in action - we spent a fair bit of time doing this!

You can also visit the library of Congress (accessed via tunnel) which is also interesting
Lizzim is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 18, 10:09 PM  
Link to this Post
nickyjw
Apprentice Imagineer

We are hoping to go to Washington DC next summer. I have only just started researching so haven't had chance to read up on anything yet but wondered how you apply for a tour of the Whitehouse?
nickyjw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 18, 03:50 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

It’s great. I wouldn’t miss it, it’s free also.
Old 27 Apr 18, 12:25 PM  
Link to this Post
alysond
Apprentice Imagineer

We got to do the Capitol and the White House! I really enjoyed both and would certainly recommend them.
alysond is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 18, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

Mobile

How long in advance do you need to try
Princess Alison is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 18, 01:12 PM  
Link to this Post
alysond
Apprentice Imagineer

For the White House my husband emailed the local congress woman months in advance to ask would it be possible. We said we`d be in Washington from.. to.. (can`t remember the dates now, it was last September though)visiting from the UK.They said we were on the list but didn't confirm dates/ times etc of the White House until a few weeks before the trip, but sent us details of the Capitol Tour far earlier than that as an "extra".
My husband organised it all so that's why I`m hazy on detail, but basically you get given a slot, take it or leave it. We went at 8.30 am and there was quite a few people on our tour.
I`d definitely say go for it though, it really was an amazing thing to do.
alysond is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 18, 01:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs dee
Imagineer

Mobile

Yes been to Washington but didnt know about this - op can you point us in the direction of how to do this ?
And too many canary/Balearic island visits to list
Mrs dee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List