Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 16 May 18, 12:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Originally Posted by MrsBrown View Post
Thanks all - that's the thing, I'm not sure where I want to go - I'd happily stay on the boat and chill (the others maybe not so).

A cruise has never been on my radar, but the more I look the more excited I get about the thought.

Dates are tricky too though, as tied to school holidays. And I didn't appreciate that you can't just pick a date as ships only sail on certain dates (not every day - duh! ).

SOooo much to read up. Just when I got Disney and Florida straight and could probably become a tour operator myself.

Thanks again, much appreciated.
It is a minefield, but honestly, if you've got WDW sorted, then you can easily sort DCL or any other cruise line too. We were all newbies once but now have a whole ton of knowledge waiting to help you.

Being in school holidays helps as it narrows it down slightly. Answer these questions first:

1. Is it school holidays like July/August you're looking at?

2. Do you want to fly to the US to start your cruise?

Answering those two will help you sort it. If the answer to question 2 is a no, then you have narrowed it down to being the Disney Magic in the Med, Norwegian Fjords or Baltics.

Hope that helps
Joa
Old 16 May 18, 02:59 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBrown
Very Serious Dibber

Ideally we want October, but not sure how easy that will be. If not July/early Aug (Scottish holidays).

I'm thinking about the cost of flights and the will power of flying to America and "only" doing the cruise - it would start out that way and before I know it we would be doing the Disney parks for a week and a cruise the 2nd week! ££££ Somewhere closer to home would be easier to fly to, but then I don't think I could do Castaway Cay and that's something I really, want to do. I want to do the £5k, but is that only in January?

I notice October cruises aren't out yet, so going to try and keep an eye out for them and maybe contact an American agent for help?

Originally Posted by Bats View Post
It is a minefield, but honestly, if you've got WDW sorted, then you can easily sort DCL or any other cruise line too. We were all newbies once but now have a whole ton of knowledge waiting to help you.

Being in school holidays helps as it narrows it down slightly. Answer these questions first:

1. Is it school holidays like July/August you're looking at?

2. Do you want to fly to the US to start your cruise?

Answering those two will help you sort it. If the answer to question 2 is a no, then you have narrowed it down to being the Disney Magic in the Med, Norwegian Fjords or Baltics.

Hope that helps
Joa
MrsBrown is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 18, 03:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
So, the CC 5K is on every cruise that goes to CC, so that's the 3 and 4 nights on the Dream, the 7 nights on the Fantasy and, during the winter months, the Wonder and Magic who both sail from PC or Miami for a while.

I know exactly what you mean by the holiday building to something else, I do exactly the same. A weekend in a caravan in Bognor Regis ends up as a week in a 5 star luxury retreat in the Maldives! We are twins it seems!

So, in October, no ship is based in Europe so your choice will be restricted to the US I'm afraid. Sorry.

July/Aug would be better as you don't have the expensive flights, just a jolly down to Barcelona, Copenhagen or Dover.
Think of the annual leave you'll save by doing one in Jul/Aug too as you won't be tempted to extend the holiday by a week. It means you can have another holiday later on in the year perhaps!

You can see 2019 summer itineraries now so have a peek at some dates that fit with your school holidays and see if it's achievable.

Joa
Old 16 May 18, 05:49 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBrown
Very Serious Dibber

Thank you - very helpful

It always starts of as something basic, but then you just "have" to add the extras and before you know it, you have your 5* luxury

Originally Posted by Bats View Post
So, the CC 5K is on every cruise that goes to CC, so that's the 3 and 4 nights on the Dream, the 7 nights on the Fantasy and, during the winter months, the Wonder and Magic who both sail from PC or Miami for a while.

I know exactly what you mean by the holiday building to something else, I do exactly the same. A weekend in a caravan in Bognor Regis ends up as a week in a 5 star luxury retreat in the Maldives! We are twins it seems!

So, in October, no ship is based in Europe so your choice will be restricted to the US I'm afraid. Sorry.

July/Aug would be better as you don't have the expensive flights, just a jolly down to Barcelona, Copenhagen or Dover.
Think of the annual leave you'll save by doing one in Jul/Aug too as you won't be tempted to extend the holiday by a week. It means you can have another holiday later on in the year perhaps!

You can see 2019 summer itineraries now so have a peek at some dates that fit with your school holidays and see if it's achievable.

Joa
MrsBrown is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 18, 05:56 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBrown
Very Serious Dibber

PS - You all speak very passionately about cruises and know your stuff. I feel a little like this when I speak to friends about Florida and Disney and I'm sure they think I'm crazy!

I'm thinking we have maybe "missed the boat" a bit for next summer as a lot of rooms are already allocated, so holding out for October may be the best option.
Old 16 May 18, 06:03 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBrown
Very Serious Dibber

Can I ask what US agent you used please and how it works for ATOL, etc.

Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
First of all, read Bats’ wonderful sticky thread which will answer a lot of questions.

Secondly, read some trippies and watch some YouTube videos to give you an idea of what it’s like. (Shameless self promotion - mine are linked in my sig! But there are lots of others out there.)

We were first timers last September. Did the Med cruise from Barcelona on the Magic and fell in love with it.

I get seasick walking across a puddle but I was fine. I took Stugeron the first few days but then didn’t bother. I also took ginger sweets and drank ginger ale with meals which is supposed to help.

We booked with a US agent who was wonderful. Paying in dollars was a bit of a pain because the exchange rate tanked, but we just used our FairFx card.

The big advantage with a US travel agent is being able to change or cancel for free. Plus we got a small amount of on board credit which was nice.
Old 17 May 18, 09:56 AM  
Link to this Post
jas72
VIP Dibber

Hi just to add some non Disney Experience to the mix.

I went on Independence of the seas for 14 nights last July with my Wife and DS (12) SiL and niece (14) we looked at Disney but it was double the price! literally some say you get what you pay for but we choose the Indy.

We are going again this year on indy in August again from Southampton again for 14 nights

Anyway hope whatever you choose you have a great time.

Just one thing on a cruise you are never "stuck on a boat" unless you are doing transatlantic you will usually have many port days we have 9 out of 14 days in port this summer and never compare it to the channel ferry not that you did but it's a completely different experience

Edited at 09:59 AM.
jas72 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 18, 10:02 AM  
Link to this Post
jas72
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by MrsBrown View Post
Can I ask what US agent you used please and how it works for ATOL, etc.
Me too I'd also like to know what protections you get with a US agent incase of bankruptcy ?

Old 17 May 18, 12:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

We used Travel on a Dream as recommended by many Dibbers. Superb service and in depth knowledge, plus OBC as well! Knowing we could amend or cancel with no charge was a big help.

Can’t remember exactly how it worked re ATOL etc but I’m sure someone will know.
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 18, 08:38 AM  
Link to this Post
jas72
VIP Dibber

Bumping for Answers RE protection for US TA going bust. ATOL?