Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 29 May 18, 08:36 PM  
Link to this Post
rcrutchley101
Serious Dibber

Anyone tried a cruise?

Hi,
I've been to Florida many times and was thinking this year I try something a little different. I'm still doing Orlando but was thinking a 5 day cruise at the start or end of our trip. (Early October)

Has anyone been on a Cruise ?
(I'm looking at Carnival Sensation)]

Thanks
rcrutchley101 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 18, 08:42 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I think you'll find a few hundred Dibbers have been on a cruise in this Forum.

Maybe if you have more specific questions you might get some useful responses.

Personally we've done three whilst in Florida at one end or start of the holiday. Two Carnival - one from Port Canaveral and one from Tampa. One with Princess from Port Everglades.

Mick
Old 29 May 18, 10:36 PM  
Link to this Post
rcrutchley101
Serious Dibber

The cruise I'm looking at is Carnival sensastion. 5 Days cruise visiting, Nassau, Half Moon Cay and Turks. HAve any of you been on this specific ship or done this itenary?

I'm taking two children ages 2 and 4 and wondering how it will be for them. I have seen some clips on Youtube and it can look quite crowded by the pool? Is it suitable for young children? Is it a party atmosphere?

Also the sensation looks quite old but it's got the itinerary, date and length of cruise that we like.

Let me know your thoughts
rcrutchley101 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 18, 09:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Originally Posted by rcrutchley101 View Post
The cruise I'm looking at is Carnival sensastion. 5 Days cruise visiting, Nassau, Half Moon Cay and Turks. HAve any of you been on this specific ship or done this itenary?

I'm taking two children ages 2 and 4 and wondering how it will be for them. I have seen some clips on Youtube and it can look quite crowded by the pool? Is it suitable for young children? Is it a party atmosphere?

Also the sensation looks quite old but it's got the itinerary, date and length of cruise that we like.

Let me know your thoughts
If it's ticking so many boxes for you, then go for it. The pools are always busy as they are generally quite small, but there are normally so many other things to do anyway.

Be aware that your 2 yr old may not be allowed in the pools - check this on the Carnival website. Swim nappies and non potty-trained children are not allowed in pools on any cruise ships that call at US ports. This is a US Public Health Regulation. They are generally allowed in splash areas that don't collect water, so check if the Sensation has one of those for your littlie if necessary.

Oh and in case the littlie is not fully potty trained, please don't risk putting them in the pool and fibbing about it. Any accidents of 'that' kind close the pool down for hours and hours - you will be on many hit lists from other parents if it's your child having the accident!

I think we've got a sticky thread about Carnival at the top of this forum, that may help a little.
Enjoy

Joa
Old 30 May 18, 09:46 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Can't help much on your specific questions I'm afraid.

We haven't had that age children for over 40 years I'm afraid and we've only cruised as a pair. We were about 60 on our first cruise and 68 on our last in 2014.

As Bats says the pool areas can be extremely busy especially on "at sea" days.

Carnival were the most informal I'd say of the three we've been on (Royal Caribbean and Princess). Docked right on the beach at Grand Turk and simply sat there and swam - lovely warm water in April. Docked in Nassau and walked to the town centre for a general mooch. Shopping street a bit of a surprise. There would be a local T shirt shop next door to a Gucci one.

Mick
Old 30 May 18, 03:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Grand Turk - we were back there in January. The area around the dock has been developed in recent years with shops, etc. There is a Margaritaville and a lovely swimming pool (free to use) popular with families. Our choice is to walk down the beach to Jack’s Shack (rustic beach bar) and use the loungers and umbrellas - it’s a lot quieter and away from the crowds. One time we rented a golf cart and explored the island which was fun.
Half Moon Cay - we’ve not sailed Disney so can’t compare Castaway Cay, but HMC is our favourite private ‘island’ of the three we’ve been to. Pure white sand, lots of shade, etc. We don’t usually do ship trips but they have two of the best we’ve done here - horse riding which includes in the sea where the horses are almost swimming, and jet skis in a lagoon, and out to sea, away from the beach areas. There are some good areas for little ones.
Nassau - we’ve not been there with children, so the kind of things we have enjoyed doing won’t appeal. Atlantis and the Pirate Museum seem popular.

Edited at 03:05 PM.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 18, 03:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Would say for 5 days not to overly worry about anything, that will pass so quickly, and will help you decide how much you do or don't like cruising. (warning it can be very addictive!) If the dates and price suit you, then go for it!

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 18, 06:47 PM  
Link to this Post
rcrutchley101
Serious Dibber

Thanks, some good advice.

My 2 year old is still in nappies and we are training her at the moment. Sensation does have a splash/slide area so I think she's ok there?

There are two options and both a simular price. What do you think is the better of the two?

Both are 5 days long

1. Carnival Sesation
Miami > Nassau > Half Moon Cay > Turks and Caicos > Miami

2. Carnival Victory
Tampa > Key West > Cozumel > Tampa

Any opinions would be great

Thanks
Old 30 May 18, 07:36 PM  
Link to this Post
rcrutchley101
Serious Dibber

Also, can anyone recommend a good booking site?
Old 30 May 18, 09:39 PM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

We are just back from our 5th Carnival cruise and loved every minute of it. Have sailed the Sensation, maybe 6 years ago and it was fine, though not same ports. Take a look at Cruise Critic as there is lots of info about Carnival on there. We dont have young kids so cant really comment, but can say Carnival is an informal fun cruise line. Definitely kid friendly. We book direct with Carnival themselves. We are doing another Carnival cruise over Christmas, so needless to say we have no complaints at all.
JoS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List