Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 30 May 18, 11:37 AM  
Link to this Post
alkel2730
Imagineer

Mobile If I buy a second resale contract do you lose all privileges?

Hello all,

I bought my first DVC contract ten years ago resale way before any of the privileges were revoked. If we were to buy a second contract I presume that would come without privileges but does it affect our first one or are they totally separate?
2012 - Sept The 'anniversary trip' SSR. - 2013 - October the bonus trip to POR
2015 - 20th trip!September WLV first trip with DD!
2017 - Sept Poly first trip with two toddlers!
2018 - May AKV & POR the last before school trip.
2019 - May SSR & Kidani
2022 - April Poly, SSR, WLV
2023 - POFQ & AKL
alkel2730 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 18, 12:27 PM  
Link to this Post

you will retain them from your first contract
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 18, 12:31 PM  
Link to this Post
alkel2730
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by matt987106 View Post
you will retain them from your first contract
Thank you
2019 - May SSR & Kidani
2023 - POFQ & AKL
alkel2730 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 18, 09:20 PM  
Link to this Post
skstorm
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by alkel2730 View Post
Hello all,

I bought my first DVC contract ten years ago resale way before any of the privileges were revoked. If we were to buy a second contract I presume that would come without privileges but does it affect our first one or are they totally separate?
Can I ask please how you have found resale? Have you been treated any differently not buying through Disney? do you still access member services? I understand you don't get the discounts - have you missed them at all? Sorry for all the questions weighing up all the options at the moment.
skstorm is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 18, 10:27 PM  
Link to this Post
alkel2730
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by skstorm View Post
Can I ask please how you have found resale? Have you been treated any differently not buying through Disney? do you still access member services? I understand you don't get the discounts - have you missed them at all? Sorry for all the questions weighing up all the options at the moment.
I've found it no different at all once I became a member. I was assigned a guide (a bit pointless really) and treated exactly the same when calling member services or accessing the online system. I personally wouldn't buy direct as the prices are crackers. That said, it's different to when I bought as now you don't get all the discounts and you can't exchange outside of DVC I still get them all as I bought prior to these changes. The latter would never bother me as I've no desire to use my points for anything but DVC but the discounts are handy! I wouldn't hesitate to buy resale though if you aren't fussed for the extras as once you as in the system it's no different.
2019 - May SSR & Kidani
2023 - POFQ & AKL
Old 31 May 18, 09:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Any & all perks can be removed at anytime as they don't form part of your DVC contract, unlikely though as it's a great selling tool! Of the perks that you don't get for DVC how many would you use? You need to be going at least twice a year to make good use of the AP discount; Shopping & Dining is good but you can buy a lot for the extra £4k plus between resale & Direct (100 points); the lounge at Epcot -it's only there because Disney don't have anything else to put in it & you wouldn't miss it if it wasn't there.
You are treated no differently, like Alkel we've been members for around 10 years, bought Resale & have all the privileges.
Disney are pretty coy with resale & their tactics keep resale prices high so as much as the actively encourage Direct, IMO, they won't mess about too much with Resale, else it turns in to just another Timeshare & if you can't sell it - after all if you buy Direct the only way to get rid of that contract is the Resale market!- owners will just stop paying dues & dump the contract, leaving Disney with a load of timeshare contracts that no-one wants!
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 18, 01:21 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

You are a full member and treated just like any other member if you buy resale.
The only thing you don’t get are non member freebies, used to market new timeshares- discounts, Epcot Lounge, Moonlight Magic, and cheaper annual passes.
Question has to be, are they worth paying 100%+ more for in some circumstances.
If you really wanted these non contractual marketing freebies, best bet used to be to buy a 25 Point direct add on, but DVD recently increased the number of direct qualifying points to 75.
Personally there’s no way it would be worth it to me to buy 75 direct points just to get perks.
I own direct and resale and so far the only perks I’ve ever used or likely to use (unless I just happen to be there when a Moonlight Magic is on, if they even continue) is 10% off in restaurants, 20% off a mug or T Shirt and maybe an Epcot Lounge visit.
I’d rather have paid $63 for the bulk of my points.