Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 17 Jun 18, 02:46 PM  
Link to this Post
debojahh
VIP Dibber

2014 late report-Day 12-Discovery Cove

Day 12-Friday 17th October 2014

Today we had already booked a taxi to get us over to Discovery Cove. We arrived at DC before 8am and went to check in.
We were given the 9:35 Dolphin swim so it felt good to get there early as a morning swim is more convenient. We had out little passes and map given to us and headed off for breakfast.

At breakfast we grabbed american breakfasts, chocolate milk and french toast fingers. It was a nice spread and felt like it was pretty good quality even though it was included in the day.
No photos unfortunately!

We did have a waterproof camera so we have intermittent photos until the battery died later on.

After breakfast we found the loungers in the Starfish area overlooking the Dolphin pool. We got a couple of these and wandered off to get changed, get life-vests and put everything else in the lockers.

On the way back we picked up a slushie and sat for a while, at 9am we went to watch the safety video with our dolphin trainers and sign the disclosure forms.

Then we were led out to the water, there were 8 of us in the group, we were group B and got led off by our trainer. The water was very cold and abit of a shock to the system!

Our dolphin was Capricorn who is over 50 years old and a grandfather. He also only has 6 teeth when in the wild he should have 60. We all stroked him and noticed just how massive he was!

I chose the shallow swim as I don't deep water and Arron chose the deep swim.

Capricorn was very strong and I felt very secure swimming with him, at some point Jenny came in as Capricorn had got restless, so Arron swam with Jenny instead.

We all got our posed photos afterwards and Capricorn came back for the kissing ones

After the interaction we went to the hut to choose the photo package, we went for the CD, prints and photoframe package, no idea of pricing, sorry!

We went and sat down briefly and headed to the Windaway River which was lovely and warm and fresh water. Obviously it was a bit deep so I had got a noodle float, as i'm not a fan of treading water either.
It was so pretty in here, the sun was shining strongly by now too, even though this was definitely the coldest day of our holiday so far.

We then headed to get our snorkels and I asked for a prescription one, it seemed too complicated so I just grabbed whatever instead, I am so useless with a snorkel it seems, I kid of chilled by the rays while Arron went further into the deep to investigate.

Arron took some videos in the reef while I went a little bit back and forth watching the rays.

From the reef we grabbed fruit cocktails and sat on our loungers, had a chat with a British family who had been living in Oz, was nice to have a conversation while we relaxed.

We did a quick river lap and went for lunch.

We had a bit of a queue, doesn't help when people are requesting things that aren't on the menu and extra wine! But we grabbed ours and sat down.

I ordered the BBQ Chicken and a chicken salad, a lemonade and Key lime pie and Arron got a burger, chicken sandwich and a beer. There was live music here and the atmosphere was great.
The annoying people from the queue thankfully sat somewhere else!

We decided to go to the aviary next which was awesome. They had nets above the tree and 3 separate rooms within the aviary with doors between. You get little pots of food that different bird species will eat, some landed on us. I knew the names but they now escape me

So many birds and such a nice setting!

We next went to get a drink and sat in the water bar area. I got a Rasp-arita here which i'd been excited for but I just thought it was very artificial tasting and strong. Arron blatantly chose a beer which he was happy with.

We went to the otter section and I love otters, so cute, the marmosets were next on their little island. It was so warm around here and they were fun to watch!

At this point it was getting towards closing time so we both headed for the showers and after getting ready we grabbed pretzels on the way out.

We picked up our photos and the frame. The frame was so tacky and just hilariously awful that we left it behind in Florida

Then someone stole our taxi! We waited a while but eventually got a taxi to the 7/11 grabbed some bits and chilled out for the evening.

We liked Discovery Cove, it was different but tiring.
debojahh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List