Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 Jun 18, 10:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Kd0758
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by TINKERBELL43 View Post
Why do they slate it?
A lot of people say there aren’t many books and that it’s expensive.

I did a spreadsheet to work out if it’s financially worth it for me and it was but I’m not loyal to one author.

I don’t actively look for books that come with their audio but not all of them do come with it.
Kd0758 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 18, 10:08 AM  
Link to this Post
papamouse
VIP Dibber

for starters there are loads on youtube - i assume he will be listening at home so no data costs - and there are ways of downloading youtube videos as audio files with various apps.

just last night I was listening to this

and my favourite all time book is freely available here:
whole book - 9 hours -

BBC Dramatisation -

good for starters.

I like audio books on flights on my phone - can keep my hands and eyes free for what the kids need...

2024 Early Booker Discounts Calculator Spreadsheet here:
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...php?p=15848077
papamouse is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 18, 05:29 PM  
Link to this Post
StorybookCircus
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

I can’t stand the Game of Thrones audiobooks, the narrator can’t pronounce any of the names properly and he often changes how he says things halfway through the book They are incredibly long though so he probably took a few holidays!
You can download audio from YouTube using various apps but it’s a bit unethical (like listening to audiobooks on YouTube too I suppose!)
StorybookCircus is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 18, 05:32 PM  
Link to this Post
StorybookCircus
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by TINKERBELL43 View Post
Why do they slate it?
I find Kindle Unlimited very uninspiring, they rarely seem to add new books to the line-up and many of them can be bought from Amazon for a few pence anyway. My local library has 15,000 ebooks and around 7,000 audiobooks available for free (can you tell I work in a library? )
StorybookCircus is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 18, 05:43 PM  
Link to this Post
papamouse
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by StorybookCircus View Post
I can’t stand the Game of Thrones audiobooks, the narrator can’t pronounce any of the names properly and he often changes how he says things halfway through the book They are incredibly long though so he probably took a few holidays!
You can download audio from YouTube using various apps but it’s a bit unethical (like listening to audiobooks on YouTube too I suppose!)
Roy DeTrice?

There is another narrator of them too.

Actually it does take some adjustment in thinking about the writing style... eg john grisham you can eat up 30 pages in a minute - it flows and is super easy to read - where as GRRMs Ice and Fire isnt written that way - although the content is gripping - its hard work to read - listen to.

That GoT thing I put the link to is great - it just pads out the tv series and the its extra on the dvd box set. I took series 1-6 7 hours of stuff as my plane book last year,

I've also listened the The Dying of the Light - scifi by him narrated by Ian Glen and again the content is great but the style is hard to get used to.

Also ethically its okay to listen to content on Youtube as they lace the copywrited materials used with adverts for the artists (i know I uploaded a few things and got emails explaining this)

2024 Early Booker Discounts Calculator Spreadsheet here:
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...php?p=15848077

Edited at 05:47 PM.
papamouse is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 18, 06:17 PM  
Link to this Post
red cuillen
Excited about Disney

Love audiobooks! I converted our Harry Potter CD and tapes to mp3 a while ago, but have now subscribed to amazon audible for £7.99 a month. We haven't bought any books full price yet, am just using the monthly credit to get a better sound quality version of the HP books, plus my 14 yo daughter loves the Ric Riordan books - not just the Percy Jackson ones - so am getting those too. You're right though about the narrator making all the difference!
red cuillen is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 18, 10:27 PM  
Link to this Post
orlando10
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by StorybookCircus View Post
If you already have a library card you should be able to access your local library’s digital content (ebooks and audiobooks)
You might need to visit your local library to set up a PIN number, or they might be able to do this for you over the phone.
Search for Overdrive or Libby in the App Store, log in with your library card number (and possibly your PIN) and get downloading There are no late fees and you should be able to request audiobooks that are on loan or that the library has yet to purchase.
I also use Overdrive and it's fab, just like borrowing from your local library and free.
DLP 2016, 2018
orlando10 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List