Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Jun 18, 11:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

My daughters been driving only a few months, she doesn't have a black box on her car if she did she wouldn't advertise it cos a few of her friends do and get goaded by nobbies at lights etc. She also never put P plates on her car for similar reasons. I'm a nervous passenger and I feel safe when I'm in car with her it's the other numptys on road that scare me sometimes.
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 18, 11:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Gezzs
Imagineer

I don't think these signs make any difference. If anything the idiots will probably be more likely to overtake as they'll assume he's driving slowly...same as L plates for learners or the P plates for recently passed drivers. I've seen stupid drivers tailgating on motorways where the car in front is in excess of the speed limit. Some people think the limits don't apply to them and anyone in front should get out of their way, regardless of speed, road conditions, etc.

Get this one instead:

Florida: July 2009, Aug 2011, Sept 2014, Sept 2018, Sept 2024
Disneyland Paris: Dec 2023

Edited at 11:20 AM.
Gezzs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 18, 11:19 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

If anything the sign will encourage people who don't already know he is an inexperienced driver to have "some fun" with him. (There are some weird folk out there).

The more anonymous and unseen he can be the less people will tailgate, bait or deliberately annoy.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 18, 11:19 AM  
Link to this Post
ely3857
Imagineer

Mobile

What others drivers do, or don’t do, needs to have less of an effect on everyone else.

Don’t be offended by slower, more nervous drivers in front of you and don’t be agitated by faster, less tolerant people behind you.

A sign would make zero difference.
Old 19 Jun 18, 11:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Leanne1977
Imagineer

Leanne1977's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
I’m planning on getting one for my son when he passes his test. It’s one that goes on the back of the car though rather than the window. I was driving behind a young girl with one the other day and thought it was a good idea. Might make a few drivers a bit more patient... hopefully!

WDW Villa Jul/Aug 2005
DLP SL Jan/Feb 2006, DCR Feb 2007, Cheyenne Feb 2008, NB Nov 2009, Ibis July 2010
WDW Pop Sept 2006
WDW ASM/HRH/POP Sept 2007 free DDP
WDW Regal Sun/SSR/CIAS May 2008
WDW CIAS/RPR/Cypress Pointe GV Aug 2008
WDW Highgate Park/AKV/BCV Dec 2008
WDW SSR/Pop May 2009
WDW RPR/BCV/BWV/VB/VWL/OKW/Kidani/DCL Jul/Aug 2009
WDW Dibb Villa/Regal Sun May 2010
WDW BCV/VB/DCL Oct/Nov 2010 Wedding trip!
WDW SSR/Dibb Villa/VB Oct 2011 1st wedding anniversary trip!
WDW OKW/VB/Peabody Aug 2013
Leanne1977 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 18, 11:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Kd0758
Very Serious Dibber

My driving instructor told me not to advertise that I was a young/newly qualified driver when I passed my test.

I think it was because people straight away see that you’re not as experienced and therefore other drivers treat you badly.

If you think about it, even the most experienced drivers get tailgated, so add on an advertisement that you’re a young driver with a black box and it could make it worse.
Kd0758 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 18, 11:24 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Gezzs View Post
I've seen stupid drivers tailgating on motorways where the car in front is in excess of the speed limit. Some people think the limits don't apply to them and anyone in front should get out of their way, regardless of speed, road condition
If the leading car could have pulled over then both are in the wrong here...

Car drivers have an obligation (in the highway code) to only be in an outside lane whilst overtaking and then return to allow others to overtake them if necessary.

Driving over the speed limit doesn't exempt you from the convention of "pulling over" as soon as possible. Speeding and tailgating are both dangerous but it's the police job to sort that out not the car in front by impeding passage...

Both driving badly in this case neither is in the right.

Edited at 11:25 AM. Reason: Autocorrect is awful...
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 18, 11:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Gezzs
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Guest View Post
If the leading car could have pulled over then both are in the wrong here...

Car drivers have an obligation (in the highway code) to only be in an outside lane whilst overtaking and then return tomorrow others to overtake them if necessary.

Driving over the speed limit doesn't exempt you from the convention of "pulling over" as soon as possible. Speeding and tailgating are both dangerous but it's the police job to sort that out not the car in front by impeding passage...

Both driving badly in this case neither is in the right.
I totally agree with you. Drivers in the wrong lane is high on my list of annoyances. I didn't actually say the car in front was blocking the lane...they were actually passing a row of cars (most likely while the inside lane was empty). As I said, some drivers just think rules don't apply and drive whatever speed they want. Usually in the outside lane, continuously..only braking at the last minute when the car in front is going slower than they are (regardless of what speed that is).

Gezzs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 18, 11:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gezzs View Post
Get this one instead:

I like that!

Reminds me of when I was learning to drive, (long time ago now) my instructor actually told me that if someone is tailgating me to slow down a little bit lightly touch the brakes a couple of times to show the lights, he said that would make most people back off a bit. Not saying it's right or wrong...
Obviously this would not be for high speed or mototway situations.

But me, in these situations, I tend to not get eye contact with anyone up close tailgating behind me, aware of the car and distance yes, but ignore the 'person'.
Another thing he told me, my instructor, was that whilst my car is on it I 'own' that piece of road and to drive it correctly, if you see what I mean, and to drive safely and courteously at all times in spite of whatever others may be trying to get me to do.

I like black boxes actually, 2 of our sons have recently learned and I like the fact they have them, have even said to my hubby that everyone should have one!

Edited at 11:53 AM.
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 18, 11:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Gezzs
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Cloverlady View Post
I like black boxes actually, 2 of our sons have recently learned and I like the fact they have them, have even said to my hubby that everyone should have one!
I must admit, I do wonder why cars are not limited. My current car can 'read' road signs and will display the speed limit on the dashboard. It also has the option of a speed limiter which can be manually set, or even programmed to the spare key. Why does the manufacturer not link these two options to know the speed limit and limit the car to this?