Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Jun 18, 03:50 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by JediMuM View Post
I think I must be weird but I always allow more consideration if I see a P plate .. not that im a crazy driver but I just give more room and I tend not to assume that they are going to behave how I would at junctions roundabouts etc .. most are absolutely fine but im sure we all remember how daunting it was the first few weeks of driving alone In the car for the first times.
Lisa x
You are right, but I'm at least glad my son doesn't have to travel to/from work down the i4 or I would get him some rally car lessons.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 18, 03:50 PM  
Link to this Post
tiggertastic
Imagineer

I give more space to learners plates, but dont pay much attention to any other signs. But i dont like driving that close to people anyway as i don't trust them.
tiggertastic is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 18, 05:46 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by soooexcited! View Post
I read of a spate of accidents deliberately bumping into P plate cars while at traffic lights etc. People trying to claim whiplash injuries and choosing unsuspecting new drivers saying they braked sharply.
Nice story you read, because it would be the car infronts occupants that would get the whiplash!
PPM is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 18, 07:44 PM  
Link to this Post
JellyEllieBean
Imagineer

Interesting to read different points of view, my son’s friend has just passed and drives them both to school, the speed limit on one of the roads he has to go on is 20mph, no one appears to keep to that speed and he constantly feels like he wants a sign to say I’m going at this speed cos I have a black box.

I was once one of the first on the scene at a serious car crash, it was clearly too late for the driver, but there was a child on board sticker, so a couple of us were really worried and trying to check there was no baby in the car. The man had in fact stolen the car that morning, so no baby.

Finally, this morning for the first time ever I saw a bumper sticker that said there was an autistic child on board, I actually thought it was a good idea
Old 19 Jun 18, 07:52 PM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Mobile

Originally Posted by PPM View Post
Nice story you read, because it would be the car infronts occupants that would get the whiplash!
Right I will re word my post apologies but my sleep deprived brain clearly wasn't thinking straight while posting. Clearly if the accident was that way round yes of course it it would be the occupants whiplash. There was a spate of accidents where p plate drivers were deliberately targeted for accident claims. It was a few years back and there were a lot round here. Car approaches a roundabout having followed and identified a new driver. They overtake and tap their brakes making the learner go into the back of them. They go off to the docs claiming they have all sorts of injuries from the learner driver bumping into the back of them. Next time be rest assured I won't bother posting when I'm tired. Yes I know which driver would be at fault if someone ran in the back of you.
Old 19 Jun 18, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Mo&Chris
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Lilminx View Post
baby on board signs are there to alert the emergency services there is someone in the car who cannot free themselves in the event of an accident
No, they're not. snopes/fact-check/baby-on-board/

There are far better signs that the emergency services can use than "Grannys ickle princess on board!" (I *have* seen that, in pink and purple), especially since, as pointed out, people don't take them out when the baby isn't in the car. There's no way one of my mates at work has his grandson at the office with him daily, yet according to his car sign...

I just take them as "Warning this person may be easily distracted" - I'm not thinking "Well, I *was* going to ram into you, but since you have a baby on board, I won't!"

Sorry for the rant, but I hate those with a passion.

As for the black box sign, it wouldn't impact how I drove if I saw one or not.

/Mo
Mo&Chris is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 18, 07:21 AM  
Link to this Post
suesmum
Apprentice Imagineer

suesmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
I do take your point, but I guess I was hoping that it might make some drivers think he can't driver like a looney or break the speed limits if he has a black box.

I am honestly in two minds if it's worth having.
It won't do any harm to have one, so why not? but not sure whether the nutty drivers would take any notice. Nutty drivers are … nutty drivers! Impatient, selfish morons to be honest.

I am a stickler for the rules/laws of the road and never knowingly speed. I do occasionally have someone drive too close, and I tend to just slow down even more and once they have backed off because they have to slow down, thus giving a bit more space between, I go back to my normal speed. That seems to work most times and they keep a bit of distance. Depending on the type of road your son is on, if someone does tailgate him and it bothers him, he could safely pull over and stop letting the driver go past.
suesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 18, 08:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Lisaw1971
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by novocastrian View Post
being honest i dont see the point, why would a black box prevent tailgaters ?

a bit like "baby on board" signs...?
No I think it’s worth it, my daughter had one, stopped all the horn beeping & one man waved sorry when henover took her.

The main one was, it made her feel confident that people knew she was a new driver, Ive seen them on the road & give them extra time & room!

DLP Sept 1994 NY, 1998 SF, 2003NPB, 2005 off site, 2008NPB, NYE 2012 Explorers
WDW POR August 2013 14 nts
WDW POR August 2015 21 nts
DLP DCC AUGUST 2016 3nts
WDW DVC December 2016 10nts
Lisaw1971 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 18, 09:28 AM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by JellyEllieBean View Post
Interesting to read different points of view, my son’s friend has just passed and drives them both to school, the speed limit on one of the roads he has to go on is 20mph, no one appears to keep to that speed and he constantly feels like he wants a sign to say I’m going at this speed cos I have a black box.
He would do better to get a sign that says "I'm going at this speed because that's the speed limit here" then he can also feel good about himself
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 18, 05:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
I do take your point, but I guess I was hoping that it might make some drivers think he can't driver like a looney or break the speed limits if he has a black box.
No one should be driving like a loony or breaking the speed limit. You don't need a sign to say that - the normal, expected behaviour is to be driving with care and attention and within the speed limit.

There's no harm in having the sign fitted but I doubt it'll make much difference with regards to tailgaters. However, it might help stop people stealing the car - if they think there's a black box fitted then they might think the car can be tracked.

Originally Posted by Lilminx View Post
baby on board signs are there to alert the emergency services there is someone in the car who cannot free themselves in the event of an accident
I thought the "baby on board" sign was a warning sign to others? That is, it's there to let people know that the driver might be distracted by the baby and therefore warn the person behind them that the driver might drive badly or erratically?

Isn't that what all these warning signs are for?

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List