Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Jun 18, 11:01 AM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

Side bar - have you ever noticed that all greasy spoon caff food looks the same?! It’s like they all belong to a secret caff club or something!

I think it’s called Makro/ bookers 😊 job lot cafe food .
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 18, 12:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Momofboys
Imagineer

Momofboys's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I look for those magical words "gluten free" as eating out as a coeliac can be a nightmare.
Old 22 Jun 18, 12:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Clean menu’s as well as clean premises.
Home baked muffins, cakes etc
Freshly made to order etc
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 18, 12:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

Originally Posted by Megandllsmum View Post
You get this a lot when we've been holidaying in Europe, half the times the photos look rubbish and would make me pick something else lol
I tend to avoid restaurants with photos outside but found Madrid an exception - some great places selling iberico ham.

In Japan they seem to do not only photos but plastic food, in all sorts of places!
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 18, 12:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Whitequeen
Imagineer

Whitequeen's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Calling those that are Coeliacs or have family members that are!

I'm a Head Chef and if you wouldn't mind could you tell me the process that should be followed so that Coeliacs can eat GF Food i.e. homemade cakes etc. whilst in restaurants/cafes.
I made some damn good GF Fruit/Cheese Scones but my bosses won't let me put them out because they may make someone ill.
I washed everything before hand, I cleaned the work top meticulously and made sure the scones and equipment didn't come into contact with anything else. Would that have been enough for Coeliacs to have the scones. Does the environment need to be completely separate to the rest of the commercial kitchen? I'm a baker by trade so I'm wanting to make GF cakes/desserts but they won't let me. I realise GF and Coeliac are not the same.
Any advice please. x

West Coast Visits-5
Whitequeen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 18, 02:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
In Japan they seem to do not only photos but plastic food, in all sorts of places!
And Universal Studios!
I saw a man getting quite irate when the lady behind the counter wasn’t giving him the slice of cake he was pointing at 😆
I’m sure he has no idea it was plastic to this day!
He looked really annoyed as he left with his edible cake!

Our 2015 Food Trip Report http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=891973
Vanillapod is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 18, 02:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Apricota
slightly serious Dibber

Team to be present and friendly. Not just there in body chatting to themselves and on the phone.
Home made food with clear pricing.
Clean and tidy.
Cared for environment.
Correct signage.
No dirty crockery left on tables.
No view to bins or through to untidy back of house areas.
No large chilled multi deck filled to the brim with products which have never ever been sold.
Enough crockery and glasses so that there is turn over and they are all cleaned.
Cutlery given out with the meal / food - not on tables for all to touch.

or yes my friends and family love it when we eat out
Apricota is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 18, 02:25 PM  
Link to this Post
shona
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Whitequeen View Post
Calling those that are Coeliacs or have family members that are!

I'm a Head Chef and if you wouldn't mind could you tell me the process that should be followed so that Coeliacs can eat GF Food i.e. homemade cakes etc. whilst in restaurants/cafes.
I made some damn good GF Fruit/Cheese Scones but my bosses won't let me put them out because they may make someone ill.
I washed everything before hand, I cleaned the work top meticulously and made sure the scones and equipment didn't come into contact with anything else. Would that have been enough for Coeliacs to have the scones. Does the environment need to be completely separate to the rest of the commercial kitchen? I'm a baker by trade so I'm wanting to make GF cakes/desserts but they won't let me. I realise GF and Coeliac are not the same.
Any advice please. x
White queen you have done everything correctly in preparation, the issue can also be in serving. Keeping the gluten free cakes away from those with gluten and using separate cutlery for serving to ensure there is no cross contamination
shona is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 18, 02:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by hideinpockets View Post
One thing I don’t like (and seems to happen a lot abroad!) is photos of the food (or fake plates of the food!) I don’t know why but it really puts me off!
I quite like photos of the food in the menu. Especially if it's cakes and ice cream although the same applies to other items of food as well. I like being able to see what I'm going to get - something it's not obvious from the title of the dish.

For me, if the cafe does large slices of homemade cakes and nice coffee - and the cafe itself is clean and isn't crowded - then it's a thumbs up from me.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 18, 02:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Jedi Princess
Imagineer

Mobile

Clean and tidy, friendly staff, Vegan/vegetarian options, nice selection of coffee, homemade cakes, freshly prepared food, not too expensive.