Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 20 Nov 19, 03:24 PM  
Link to this Post
NeeNeeWong
Getting Excited

Beijing and HK Nov 2019 - Day 11

Our new hotel was a holiday inn express which meant free breakfast. I forgot to take my phone down, but choices were scrambled eggs, hot ham, Frankfurt sausage, potato wedges - yep, wedges! Congee, noodles, spring rolls and melon. A mix to cater for all.

We both went typical western this morning sticking to the eggs and ham with some bread. I tried the potato wedges, they were nice but not breakfast.

The food was ok, nothing great. But as it was free we weren’t complaining. We’ve been living off buns and biscuits so this seemed like an upgrade.

Once done we came back up to top up my factor 50, and then headed for the metro stop directly opposite in the time square building.

Today we were heading to the ten thousand buddhas, the trains were simple and it’s easier in some ways than London as if you stop at the right stop you can run across to the opposite train which happens to be the connecting line going I the right direction. We were there in about 40 minutes.

I had read that the entrance is a little hard to find, we ended up going down a path that was behind the governments office and from there you can see the shiny buddhas. It isn’t sign posted at all. If you look on google maps beforehand you will see where it is, but it is down a path that you probably wouldn’t think you should be walking down if you were at home.

I’ve never seen so much shiny gold (even if it is paint!). It’s pretty impressive on the walk up how they thought of so many different poses.

The temple up the top when you step inside is more impressive. The Tony little buddhas that line the wall go on forever. Sorry no photos in the temple.

We spent about an hour wondering around getting photos and then decided to head down. We took a different path down and saw some monkeys.

This path felt like you were walking past peoples home, you would probably question if you were going the right way if you came up this way.

Back at the bottom we then decided to walk to the heritage museum, which was about 30 minutes away. We walked back to the station and then through a shopping mall, we went out some doors near the royal park hotel and down the steps into the western hills sha tin park to cut through to the museum. It’s a pretty little park. We also stopped for some pringles and haribo. We were peckish, but not hugely hungry so this would do.

The little pond here had terrapins and fish in.

The museum is under an underpass by the park. We were sure what was in there, but as we were up this way we thought we would take a look. There was some interesting items in here on the top floor from the Ming Dynasty. They also had a Bruce lee exhibit.

After an hour or so we were done, so we decided to look at the maps to see what else was around, there was a temple 10 minutes walk down the road, so we decided to take a look.

We then walked back to the metro and saw a sign for snoopy world in the mall, it was closed but looked like a little kids play area.

We were both hungry so decided to go back to get some more food from Shim Sha Po. We headed to the same place again but got our own plate of rice rolls this time.

After walking around some of the stalls looking at the bits and pieces on offer we decided to head back home to Causeway.

We decided to repack our case after stuffing everything in the other day. So now our room looks a bit more tidy. I can’t stand mess! We’ve been watching movies and enjoying some sweeties tonight, that we picked up yesterday from the Wellcome superstore we found here.
Old 20 Nov 19, 07:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

It took me an hour to find the entrance - and I went up the wrong way (the opposite to you!) but came down the way you went up!

I only went to Ikea after that!

At least it seems to be quieter today. I hope it stays that way!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 19, 02:22 AM  
Link to this Post
NeeNeeWong
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
It took me an hour to find the entrance - and I went up the wrong way (the opposite to you!) but came down the way you went up!

I only went to Ikea after that!

At least it seems to be quieter today. I hope it stays that way!
As soon as you pop out of the station and get down to the road to ikea we were looking up and down all the streets and we thought nope that doesn’t look right! Most places have a little signpost but not here.

It definitely seems quieter today. Glad it is. Hopefully it stays this way for when your son returns.