Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 19 Oct 19, 11:41 AM  
Link to this Post
disjunkie
Very Serious Dibber

The DC to Atlanta Coaster Halloween Road Trip - Intro and travel day

We’ve just returned from our epic road trip. The trip reports on here were super helpful when I was planning this so thought I would post some highlights, tips and pictures in case it’s helpful for anyone else planning a similar trip.

As a bit of background we fancied doing something different to our usual Florida trip, and after discussing multiple possibilities we settled on a road trip based around various theme parks and Halloween haunts as we’re big HHN fans so needed a replacement if we were going to miss this years event!

I won’t do a day by day report as I didn’t take notes but will post what we did in each location, where we stayed/ate, and costs where I can remember them! I did remember to take food pics on most days!

Our final itinerary looked like

3 nights in DC
1 night at Williamsburg for Busch Gardens/ Howl o Scream
1 night at Doswell for Kings Dominion Haunt
1 night at Blowing Rock
2 nights at Asheville/Blue Ridge Parkway
2 nights at Pigeon Forge for Dollywood
1 night at Fort Mill for Scarowinds
1 night in Augusta
2 nights in Atlanta for Six Flags and Netherworld

This ended up being an amazing trip though we probably did try to cram a little bit to much in, we drove over 1400 miles in 10 days and got to ride over 30 rollercoasters.

Travel day

We travelled to Heathrow the night before and stayed in Hilton Garden inn T2. This is a brand new hotel and is really well located for T2 and 3. The room was great and we had a fab view of the runway. Apparently they have a runway view rooftop bar but we didn’t get there until 9ish so didn’t really have time to check it out. It wasn’t the cheapest airport hotel at £125 but for convenience of location was worth it.

We had breakfast included for free as Hilton gold members which was a pretty standard hotel buffet.

It was about at 10 minute walk to T3 where we had booked the No1 lounge with our priority passes. This was a nice, if very crowded lounge with great views onto the runway.

Our flights were PE reward flights with virgin, which were good as usual and we landed early in DC. We were through immigration really quickly and there was absolutely no taxi queue so were in our hotel by 4pm which was way quicker than I hoped for!
disjunkie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 19, 09:41 PM  
Link to this Post
ali-s
VIP Dibber

Just found this trip report and I will be reading and taking notes. I'm working on an itinerary for a theme park trip next year, starting in DC .
Mexico 2010, Easter in Mexico Trip Index
ESD Pointe Orlando, Palm Pavilion Clearwater, RPR August 2012
Costa Rica July 2015 Pura Vida! trip report
South Africa 2017 trip report
ali-s is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 19, 08:14 AM  
Link to this Post
disjunkie
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by ali-s View Post
Just found this trip report and I will be reading and taking notes. I'm working on an itinerary for a theme park trip next year, starting in DC .
We really enjoyed this trip, some really great parks and rides to hit in that area. I’m sure you’ll have an amazing time.
disjunkie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List