Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 27 Nov 19, 10:23 PM  
Link to this Post
skstorm
VIP Dibber

Insurance Claim following hurricane on DVC points

I know when hurricane Dorian was on us there was a lot of questions about how a claim would be treated if you were staying on DVC points, so just wanted to pop on and let you know what happened to us in case it helps anyone in the future.

We are insured through RBS and spoke to them about the claim, they advised they would be able to sort something out however I had to go to Virgin first as they did advise they would reimburse. So the points were not going to be an issue with the insurance company.

Virgin were excellent - I had kept all receipts of food, could show on my phone bill that the only numbers I had called were them and the insurance company, and provided them with confirmation of the additional 2 nights and that points had been used and on the advice of a fellow member we got an email from Disney advising what the cash equivalent of those 2 nights plus tax would have been. I also put in a covering email to go with them advising of the circs and why I had booked the additional days on points and chosen to stay where we were (beach club).

I rang for an update after 10 days and the lady on the phone apologised it had taken so long and dealt with it there and then (I didn't actually think it had taken long was only ringing for an update for the insurance co.) There was no issue with any of the food or the phone expenses. There was no issue with the points either the only thing she said is that they would normally only pay for up to 3 star hotels however she had read my email and agreed with everything I'd said so was going to pay everything bar the extra 2 days car hire as that was something they didn't do - fair enough!. Car hire was promptly paid by insurance company when I rang to give them the outcome from Virgin.

Once this was all sorted I put in a second claim under EU regulations for the flight we were rebooked on being cancelled and eventually landing at Manchester over 3.5 hours after the original flight should have arrived. I supplied the email advising the second flight on 5th had again been cancelled and its arrival time. A screenshot from Orlando website showing all other flights were going on time bar that one (therefore not a hurricane issue) and the details of the flights we were booked on to and their arrival time according to flight radar.

We have just heard back that this claim is also going to be honoured by Virgin.

In addition they gave us some airmiles to make up for the problems we had when we were put on the Gatwick flight.

Really happy to be honest with the way both claims have been handled since we got back without any issues by both Virgin and the insurance company. This is one of the reasons we really like flying with Virgin as they are normally very easy to deal with.

Hope this helps people
Old 28 Nov 19, 08:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Well done. That's a good result and glad you got it sorted without any hassle.

I find Virgin excellent when there is an issue outside of the norm and that's why we choose to fly with them. OK there will always be a horror story somewhere but that's life.

When we had to cancel our return flight this Sept due to a bereavement Virgin refunded us in full minus a £30 each admin fee. One E Mail sending them the death certificate as an attachment and they refunded that as well. Great customer service.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 08:43 AM.
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List