Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 19 Aug 17, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post
katie
Imagineer

We have always paid upfront for fuel and got it at a comparable price to the resorts. We didn't want the hassle of finding a garage near the airport to fill up - especially if we were a bit late/bad weather etc.
However, reading this thread, it seems that something is going wrong at Avis now after years of good service. Now we're thinking that we shouldn't pay upfront for fuel as well as refuse everything else. Can any of you kind people give us a clue as to where you get your car filled up before getting to the airport?
Old 19 Aug 17, 09:48 PM  
Link to this Post
theriler
Getting Excited

Personally ive always returned the car with a full tank. Its a bit more hassle, but compared to not knowing what they will charge you, I prefer the hassle.
theriler is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 17, 10:05 PM  
Link to this Post
alannamr
Serious Dibber

We've booked a BA Flydrive for Tuesday! I am also worried about this now.

If we check all documentation when we pick the car up, making sure that everything states $0 and again when we drop the car off, should that be sufficient? We have always hired from Alamo previously and had no issues whatsoever.

We fly into Tampa so hopefully they are better than MCO
alannamr is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 17, 10:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by katie View Post
We have always paid upfront for fuel and got it at a comparable price to the resorts. We didn't want the hassle of finding a garage near the airport to fill up - especially if we were a bit late/bad weather etc.
However, reading this thread, it seems that something is going wrong at Avis now after years of good service. Now we're thinking that we shouldn't pay upfront for fuel as well as refuse everything else. Can any of you kind people give us a clue as to where you get your car filled up before getting to the airport?
I fill up at racetrack just past the florida mall. its across from aldi.
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 17, 10:49 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

I was very explicit - no extras / upgrades / insurances. Brought our own car seats. I challenged the lady when she handed me the voucher as it had an amount in excess of the BA voucher with $159 dollars plus tax on the right. She said it was just a breakdown of what BA would pay. I asked 3 times and to her colleague next to her - this was in the preferred garage. I signed nothing! Yet a charge has still appeared. They claim it has been removed now. We shall see. They did not respond to my tweets / fb messages!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 17, 12:21 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by katie View Post
Hi Katie, never fill up at a garage that doesn't openly display it's price and always check the pump price too.

There are other gas gougers, aimed at tourists, that MrT may know, close to Disney for example, but don't go near Suncoast Energy's or Sun Gas on S Semoran/Buler, two infamous gougers who charge circa double the average price. Neither openly advertise their price. Continue north for about 3/4 mile to WaWa or Seven/Eleven.

For Dibbers returning to MCO via the 417; don't take the 17A airport exit, travel about 100 yards on and take 17B, turn right onto Boggy Creek, Shell/Circle K about 1/2 mile further on, on the right.
Old 20 Aug 17, 12:54 AM  
Link to this Post

We didn't sign anything and were explicit about not wanting anything else and that we would bring back full. DH checked it and thought it said nil, but it in fact says 172.00 dollars.

Just down as taxable extras 103 and tax of 35.16 equals 172.01 ?

Rather ticked off. All round 🤐

Cannot see receipt on link above as would have needed to bring car back for that but it says accept ALI what is that?

Edited at 12:56 AM.
Old 20 Aug 17, 02:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Tigger71
Imagineer

Tigger71's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

This got me worried - used Avis many times before at MCO without problems but this was first time booked as part of BA package. Yep we too seem to have some additional charges - but I struggle to figure out what they are for? I want to challenge when returning on Fri but can anyone please help decoding the slip - see photos:

Definately didnt accept anything extra although slip seems to indicate we did 😮
Old 20 Aug 17, 02:42 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by FamilyGWales View Post
We didn't sign anything and were explicit about not wanting anything else and that we would bring back full. DH checked it and thought it said nil, but it in fact says 172.00 dollars.

Just down as taxable extras 103 and tax of 35.16 equals 172.01 ?

Rather ticked off. All round 🤐

Cannot see receipt on link above as would have needed to bring car back for that but it says accept ALI what is that?
Pure guess, wonder if it could be additional liability insurance. If you're still out there I'd be for returning a tad early/calling into an Avis office and asking a supervisor for an explanation plus charge removal.

For those picking up Avis vehicles, if you see monetary figures anywhere on a contract that should show nothing but zero figures I'd not move until it's immediately resolved... bunch of ! As most now use electronic devices it's not easy to write 'no extras/upgrades', unless they're willing to print the paperwork.

Edited at 04:07 PM.
ChrisS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 17, 03:33 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by Tigger71 View Post
This got me worried - used Avis many times before at MCO without problems but this was first time booked as part of BA package. Yep we too seem to have some additional charges - but I struggle to figure out what they are for? I want to challenge when returning on Fri but can anyone please help decoding the slip - see photos:

Definately didnt accept anything extra although slip seems to indicate we did 😮
Mine was like that - though higher amounts. They insisted there was nothing added at the desk but they lied. I called up this morning / number on the card then option 6 for a supervisor.