Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 9 Aug 18, 06:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Eeyorefanuk View Post
Hi 👋

We are going for the first time in October. Aims has been so helpful but would love read your report. If Aims does not mind could you put the link here as I am watching this thread

Enjoy the rest of your stay

No, I don't mind Eeyorefanuk Pumba75, please feel free to post a link to your trip report on this thread when its ready.

Planning a trip to San Diego? Check out my San Diego planning guide at the link below:

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1047941
Aims is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 18, 09:25 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyMadAng
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Aims View Post
No, I don't mind Eeyorefanuk Pumba75, please feel free to post a link to your trip report on this thread when its ready.
... and get cracking with it. I don't have long before I go
DisneyMadAng is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 18, 10:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumba75
Imagineer

Pumba75's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 23
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Aims View Post
Oh man, don't get me started on those f*@#%*$ scooters! I can't tell you how many times I have come close to getting mowed down by people on those things. I have also seen a LOT of near accidents with other pedestrians too. The scooters...and the rental bicycles you have probably seen strewn about downtown...are a pretty new thing in San Diego. They appeared just a few months ago and have become a huge thing in a short time. Controversy has started to grow over them, but so far it remains a pretty unregulated business. A lot of locals are starting to get their feathers ruffled and there have been a couple of efforts to have them banned in different locations, mainly on the beach boardwalks where there is a lot of pedestrian traffic, but bans have been voted down so far. I know there have been a lot of accidents, and some pretty serious ones, because of the way a lot of people ride them. The companies that own these scooters (there are at least three different ones) have "rules" to riding them, but they do nothing to enforce them and not many people heed them. For example, they aren't supposed to go over a certain speed, people are supposed to wear helmets, there is supposed to be only one rider on a scooter (this rule I see broken all the time), and kids under 18 aren't supposed to operate a scooter. I have seen lots of young children riding their own scooters, and saw one boy of about 9 or 10 lose control and slam into some people sitting on a bench outside the Convention Center. They are also not allowed to go on sidewalks, but I see it all the time. As you pointed out, they can be left wherever you want. They clog up sidewalks and I have seen them even left in bushes.

I think eventually the city council is going to have to pass some restrictions, but it will probably take some more serious accidents (or deaths) to bring some regulations about. In the meantime, when you are downtown or on a beach boardwalk, just keep a weather eye out for them! (I really should update my trip planning thread soon with info on them- and a warning for pedestrians lol)

Hope you still enjoyed your visit to the USS Midway!
Interestingly, the police were out on the Boardwalk at Mission Beach today pulling everyone on a Scooter over - all were being told they should be wearing helmets, and a couple were getting tickets.

Originally Posted by Eeyorefanuk View Post
Hi 👋

We are going for the first time in October. Aims has been so helpful but would love read your report. If Aims does not mind could you put the link here as I am watching this thread

Enjoy the rest of your stay
No problem, there's a link in our signature to the pre-trip report, and that will link to the full report once it's completed.

Today is our last day in San Diego

We've all fallen in love with this city and will be back. Eldest daughter wants to return one day for Comicon.

Is definitely up there with NYC as my favourite city on earth.
Pumba75 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 18, 10:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Pumba75 View Post
Interestingly, the police were out on the Boardwalk at Mission Beach today pulling everyone on a Scooter over - all were being told they should be wearing helmets, and a couple were getting tickets.

YES! If only I could have been there to see that LOL!

Originally Posted by Pumba75 View Post
Today is our last day in San Diego

We've all fallen in love with this city and will be back. Eldest daughter wants to return one day for Comicon.

Is definitely up there with NYC as my favourite city on earth.

Aww, I'm sorry it's over already Plan your next visit soon- it will make you feel a little better! I am so happy to hear how much you and your family loved San Diego- does my heart good. To be be ranked up there with NYC as a favorite is a wonderful compliment. Safe travels to your next stop!

Planning a trip to San Diego? Check out my San Diego planning guide at the link below:

Aims is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 18, 04:53 PM  
Link to this Post
flossy_h
Excited about Disney

Hi Aims.
I read somewhere that on previous years kids go free to attractions in October. Is this something that will happen this year?
Also is this only for San Diego or all of California? Thanks.
flossy_h is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 18, 05:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Eeyorefanuk
Imagineer

Originally Posted by flossy_h View Post
Hi Aims.
I read somewhere that on previous years kids go free to attractions in October. Is this something that will happen this year?
Sorry to jump in but legoland and seaworld are as been looking x

Hoping for kids eat free as well but no idea if do that
Old 14 Aug 18, 05:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Originally Posted by flossy_h View Post
Hi Aims.
Hi flossy! Yes, kids free October in San Diego happens every year. As far as I know, this is the only city that does this in California. In addition to attractions, there are also a number of deals going on for kids at hotels and restaurants. Check out this page for all the info on where to find the offers: sandiego/promotions/kids-free.aspx

Edited at 05:56 PM.
Old 18 Aug 18, 10:26 AM  
Link to this Post
scottishgirl1
VIP Dibber

Hi Amy! Well flights are booked We will now be driving from Burbank to San Diego on 3rd July though. I am guessing traffic will be heavy that day but just wondered if you had any insight.

No real plans yet but I think we would have possibly done Warner Bros tour in morning and then thought about making our way to San Diego. Early morning wouldnt really suit to move as room wouldnt be ready and we have less time at Burbank area than we do in San Diego. Would very late evening be better than afternoon or would lunchtime be okay before commuting traffic starts
scottishgirl1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 18, 03:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Originally Posted by scottishgirl1 View Post
Hi Amy! Well flights are booked We will now be driving from Burbank to San Diego on 3rd July though. I am guessing traffic will be heavy that day but just wondered if you had any insight.

No real plans yet but I think we would have possibly done Warner Bros tour in morning and then thought about making our way to San Diego. Early morning wouldnt really suit to move as room wouldnt be ready and we have less time at Burbank area than we do in San Diego. Would very late evening be better than afternoon or would lunchtime be okay before commuting traffic starts

Hi scottishgirl! If it were me, I'd be tempted to leave by lunchtime. Late evening, let's say after 7 pm, wouldn't be too bad but it is such a long drive from Burbank to San Diego that you'd be getting in pretty late. I went to Burbank last weekend and it took me 2 1/2 hours on Sunday morning. If you can leave by 12...or 1 pm at the latest, you will be ahead of rush hour in Burbank, although you may run into the beginning of San Diego traffic by the time you get here- at least you won't be arriving real late at night.

Old 18 Aug 18, 06:20 PM  
Link to this Post
scottishgirl1
VIP Dibber

Thanks very much Amy. will definitely follow your advice. We are supposed to be going to Anaheim after our San Diego stay but have spent the afternoon looking into a couple of days in Palm Springs on the way
scottishgirl1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List