Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 27 Aug 21, 11:20 PM  
Link to this Post
top4
Imagineer

So annoyed

After months of my son struggling with ear pain and constantly not been able to get through to the GP or ending up at the emergency Dr's they've just fobbed him off with ear spray ...which has just not shifted it ...we'll fast forward to this week and I've got a 19yr old in tears due to pain again ! Finally got through and got a face to face appointment with the gp 🙌 to find out he's only got a perforated eardrum and through the hole they can see something ? Their not sure what and have urgently referred him to the ENT Clinic at the hospital to be seen within the week ! 😭... if they had seen him earlier without the stupid over the phone appointments maybe we wouldn't be in this mess now 🤬🤬

Edited at 11:21 PM.
top4 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 21, 11:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

So sorry for your DS. I hope he now gets the treatment he needs.

I really worry that so many illnesses are being missed because doctors are still not seeing patients face to face and I genuinely can’t understand why they aren’t.
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 21, 11:36 PM  
Link to this Post
top4
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Rac20 View Post
So sorry for your DS. I hope he now gets the treatment he needs.

I really worry that so many illnesses are being missed because doctors are still not seeing patients face to face and I genuinely can’t understand why they aren’t.
Exactly! I do believe that if he was seen months ago when this all started we wouldn't be where we are now ...how can they diagnose anything like this without looking properly! To just fobbed him off with ear spray is disgusting, and it's actually caused more damage 😭🤬
top4 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 21, 04:32 AM  
Link to this Post
evergreen
Imagineer

I am so sorry for your DS there is nothing like ear ache and I hope the delay has not made it worse, GP’s during this pandemic have gotten me so 😡,
Old 28 Aug 21, 07:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

So sorry to hear about your son and hope something can be done to help him.

My 6 year old grandson has had ear infections at least twice a year since the age of 2.
Another infection started again earlier this year and yet more antibiotics prescribed over the phone which didn’t help.
My son in law got on the phone and went mad with them and also told them as antibiotics had been prescribed more than twice in a 6 month period he needed to be seen by a doctor with a view to being referred to ENT.
He was given an appointment that day and it turned out he had a perforated eardrum.
He’s now waiting for a hearing test which won’t be done until his eardrum has healed properly.
Old 28 Aug 21, 08:13 AM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

This is an all to common problem at present with most GP practices being run by a receptionist who blocks anyone seeing the doctors. The big problem this then means lots of people go to hospital A E and take up time which blocks space for those who actually need it. Our local hospital is regularly reporting 30/40% more people attending because they can’t see the GP. My partner had to visit recently for severe gallbladder problem and in the next bed the nurse was explaining to a woman that she had thrush. Thankfully gallbladder removed this week and on the road to recovery.
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 21, 08:40 AM  
Link to this Post
babbymint
Imagineer

My dh had issues with his eye back in May. GP refused three times to see him, each time prescribing more antibiotics over the phone. I made him go to the opticians who referred him to hospital. Finally seen Wednesday this week by an eye consultant who thought the lump that had formed under his eye could be cancerous and pulled him in for surgery yesterday. Waiting now for biopsy results but surgeon was hopeful it was not anything too nasty. He has lost all his lower lashes though. Very frustrating situation when most services are open but gps are not still.
babbymint is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 21, 08:52 AM  
Link to this Post
LLamb
Imagineer

A friend of ours had ear ache last week. Turns out he had meningitis. Thankfully he didn’t wait for his gp to call him back and went straight to a&e.
I’m so sorry for you son, ear pain is the worst. Hopefully he can get sorted now.
LLamb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 21, 09:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Taffy1959 View Post
So sorry to hear about your son and hope something can be done to help him.

My 6 year old grandson has had ear infections at least twice a year since the age of 2.
Another infection started again earlier this year and yet more antibiotics prescribed over the phone which didn’t help.
My son in law got on the phone and went mad with them and also told them as antibiotics had been prescribed more than twice in a 6 month period he needed to be seen by a doctor with a view to being referred to ENT.
He was given an appointment that day and it turned out he had a perforated eardrum.
He’s now waiting for a hearing test which won’t be done until his eardrum has healed properly.
They can test hearing with a perforated ear drum. It may never heal. Don't delay. Reoccurring infections can cause hearing loss. You need to know so you can manage correctly. Do not get ears wet with a perforation. So ear plugs for hair washing, showers or swimming..

DD had a perforation in 2017 and it's never healed. Was due to have a grommet fitted to left ear last year and then the perforation surgically healed. The grommet went ahead in August but not the perforation due to Covid so she's had surgery that wasn't necessary and will have to do it all again in time.

We can't even go private as the Consultant refuses private patients as his queue is too long.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 21, 09:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by Blue nose View Post
They can test hearing with a perforated ear drum. It may never heal. Don't delay. Reoccurring infections can cause hearing loss. You need to know so you can manage correctly. Do not get ears wet with a perforation. So ear plugs for hair washing, showers or swimming..

DD had a perforation in 2017 and it's never healed. Was due to have a grommet fitted to left ear last year and then the perforation surgically healed. The grommet went ahead in August but not the perforation due to Covid so she's had surgery that wasn't necessary and will have to do it all again in time.

We can't even go private as the Consultant refuses private patients as his queue is too long.
Thank you
I’ll pass that information on to my daughter as he has an appointment with the GP next week.
At his last appointment they were told it was healing well and he’s not in pain now which is good