Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 25 Sep 21, 10:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Sue
Imagineer

Sue's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 17
So this morning, newspapers reporting that BP ramped this thing up to get the government to relax visa rules for foreign HGV drivers.
Heard a German politician on the radio yesterday saying that this issue was Europe wide and mainly because younger people don’t want to “work hard” (his words not mine) and put the unsocial and long hours in.
Heard HGV drivers yesterday on 5 live saying that foreign drivers are not the answer citing poor driving, and complete and total inefficiencies at distribution centres leaving them sitting around for hours (sometimes days over a weekend) running out of their driving hours.

Finally, I do wish the Bremainers would give it a rest - it’s like a red card in football. It is done and not going to get overturned (ok, rarely they do in footie but you get my point)

”Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts” - Richard Feynman. Theoretical Physicist

7th Magical Trip - August /September 2008. FOOD & TRIP REPORTS

Route 66 and all that TRIP REPORTS

Edited at 11:47 AM.
Sue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 21, 11:01 AM  
Link to this Post
salmim
Imagineer

salmim's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Love the BBC reporter on the panic buying this morning.

His name,?

Phil McCann

Edited at 01:28 PM.
salmim is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 21, 11:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Loftus
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sue View Post
Heard a German politician on the radio yesterday saying that this issue was Europe wide and mainly because younger people don’t want to “work hard” (his words not mine) and put the unsocial and long hours in.
Although wages have risen because of the current situation, a large part of the reason we have such driver shortages is that the hard work, unsocial and long hours and often terrible working conditions were not reflected in the pay for the job. It wasn't a situation likely to easily win new recruits.
Loftus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 21, 12:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Excitedx4
Imagineer

Excitedx4's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Honestly I’m exasperated with the world at the minute. The last few years has just been doom and gloom! Finally kind of seeing light at the end of the pandemic tunnel, Then this week my energy supplier went bust (Avro) and I was on red fuel light yesterday and people panic buying stupidly. Last night I seen a man filling up his car to the brim then preceded to fill up 12 Jerry cans!

Stop the world, I want to get off 🙈
Excitedx4 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 21, 12:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Firstxmastrip
Imagineer

Firstxmastrip's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
[QUOTE=Sue;15150636]So this morning, newspapers reporting that BP ramped this thing up to get the government to relax visa rules for foreign HGV drivers.

i said this to my husband, the companies are releasing these stories because they want mayhem because they don't like the fact they are now having to pay a decent wage. they want the cheap labour back so are causing the chaos to force the governments hands.
Firstxmastrip is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 21, 12:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Chilli-pepper
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Excitedx4 View Post
Honestly I’m exasperated with the world at the minute. The last few years has just been doom and gloom! Finally kind of seeing light at the end of the pandemic tunnel, Then this week my energy supplier went bust (Avro) and I was on red fuel light yesterday and people panic buying stupidly. Last night I seen a man filling up his car to the brim then preceded to fill up 12 Jerry cans!

Stop the world, I want to get off 🙈
Sadly there are lots of photos in the media of people filling up jerry cans and other containers - this IMO should not be allowed.

Chilli-pepper is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 21, 12:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Mazbar
Imagineer

Mazbar's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6
The funny thing is with e10 the shelf life of petrol is reduced, so I hope those idiots filling up Jerry cans just keep hold of the petrol a bit too long and then use it.
Mazbar is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 21, 12:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I guess if you have a business that relies on petrol powered machinery ( tree surgeon for example) then you will need to fill Jerry cans to ensure you can do your work on Monday
Moorlandman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 21, 12:39 PM  
Link to this Post
sunseeker
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
You'd like to think so, wouldn't you, but the stampede of thumbs up to that post tells a sad story.

Let's try punching up rather than punching down, eh?
Sadly though it isn't just those that really need help claiming, a large proportion of those claiming could work but won't do a job they consider beneath them. I've had several people start work for me with the attitude they're only there for a pay packet without having to pull their weight. They never complete 3 months and go straight back on benefits. These people are robbing from those that actually need financial help.

Dave
sunseeker is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 21, 12:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Feebee2
Imagineer

Originally Posted by disney332 View Post
Brexit is not the problem, its the easy street welfare state system that quite rightly benefits the most needy but has also created a generation of lazy benefit pickers.

Disney332
Our experience of this supposed easy street benefit system is far from easy street.
DH who is poorly can't work as he can't use his legs or arms and can't speak. His benefit is £120 a week. Anyone fancy living off that.
Feebee2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List