Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 17 Nov 21, 01:39 PM  
Link to this Post
millienoahleo
Excited about Disney

tipping

now this should be a great discussion (or open a can of worms)
does everyone tip recommended, do some have a set amount in their head before they leave home, do you just round it up. whats every ones tipping rules.

EDIT: because some posters are misunderstanding my initial point and assuming I’m against tipping.
I’m ok with tipping and I know it’s how the system works in the USA.
I’m not ok with my tip increasing to (what I think) is an unacceptable amount because of the percentage system it uses.
I will tip the recommended but will be capping my tips to a max of $20 because I don’t think there is any extra work involved serving a $100 meal or a $200 meal. And even if the servers are only in $2-3 an hour my tip is not a bad wage for what will be an hours work max.

i always used to tip the recommended 18% or as near as it came to when rounding up, but just been checking out our adrs and menus for onsite, and Tusker house breakfast is over $40 per person for 5 of us.

now i'm sure the service will be great but i don't think it will be $36 worth of great. that's nearly the price of another person dining with us.
when the bill was on the free dining plan it didn't really matter but now its all OOP it will make a big difference.

If a server is waiting 20 tables and making 18% on an average table of say 4 people at $30 a table in tips thats not a bad days wage on top of the hourly rate as well.

and just to be clear i will be tipping well on Christmas day because no one should have to work on christmas day even if it is in Disney.

Edited at 01:42 PM.
millienoahleo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 21, 01:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

Can of worms opened for sure. I follow 18-20% guidelines no matter how big the bill is.
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 21, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
This is a can of worms, and one as old as time itself, and you'll get a full range of differing answers.

Me - I accept that c20% is the going rate, sit-down or buffet/family style, and that's my starting point. If we have exceptional service, which we always seem to in the Cali Grill for example, I'll tip more.

I've only ever once tipped less, in hundreds of meals at WDW, and that was due to a poor experience in Chef Mickey's.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 21, 01:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Chops
Getting Excited

Anything less than good service, I tip zero 🤷🏼
Chops is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 21, 01:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by millienoahleo View Post
now i'm sure the service will be great but i don't think it will be $36 worth of great.

If a server is waiting 20 tables and making 18% on an average table of say 4 people at $30 a table in tips thats not a bad days wage on top of the hourly rate as well.

and just to be clear i will be tipping well on Christmas day because no one should have to work on christmas day even if it is in Disney.
Maybe add your job description and salary details to the discussion and we can see if your labours are worth your reward too?
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 21, 01:53 PM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

Not adding to the debate, but in years of Florida trips and 1 x New York trip only every had poor service once, and boy did they excell themselves in this department. To ensure they knew we were not happy with the service and not just 'Brits who don't tip' we left 20 cents.
Interestingly we got talking to a server in a steak house restaurant on our last Florida tip. He said that English have a very good reputation amoung servers for tipping fairly, Scots a bit tight. He also said servers in Disney are paid as if they are not tipped - so much higher than outside Disney, and that a server job in Disney 'was the holy grail of serving jobs - and there was a waiting list to get one'
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 21, 01:59 PM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

20% from us unless its exceptional.
JoS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 21, 02:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Hammerstone
Very Serious Dibber

I can't stand the expectation of tipping. Now, eating out you expect it to an extent and quite often you have no issue paying, particularly if the server is attentive, the food is great and so on. What I don't agree with, is someone rotating 180 degrees, getting me a drink from a fridge, and then walking to the register. That is your job, and 15 seconds of interaction does not warrant some extra cost added on to what the item already is. If you've been at a bar all evening i have no issue with a tip, but getting a one of bottle off budweiser at the house of blues before im about to watch Alterbridge does not warrant some huge gesture.

On the amount, 18-20% and that's it.

Edited at 02:07 PM.
Hammerstone is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 21, 02:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Dr.JumbaJookiba View Post
Can of worms opened for sure. I follow 18-20% guidelines no matter how big the bill is.
I do the same and I find it very painful handing it over😀
Moorlandman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 21, 02:09 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 50

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 1
We've always followed the 18-20% advice - but last trip when many places were recommending 25% we drew the line. We tip $1 a drink at bars.
Next trip we'll be tipping well, but what we decide - not what we're 'told' to, the same as we do here.
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
BOOKED - Beach Club Villas Sept '24, Disney Treasure Sept '25
TRIP REPORT INDEX
www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835984

Edited at 02:10 PM.
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List