Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 20 Nov 21, 11:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Pookie3101
Imagineer

Pookie3101's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Mobile

Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
mytutor online 7 or 8 weeks of tutoring twice a week... took my daughter from a C to a solid A in Chemistry, increased her base understanding as well as core knowledge immeasurably. Cost us £690 (less than one fight to Florida last time we went), money well spent.
I wish I could afford it but I’m a single parent and that’s over half my monthly take home pay.

DLP NBC - 2008, DLP SL- 2009, DLP SL, 2010.
AKL - 2014, POR - 2016
Pookie3101 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 21, 12:40 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Do you have to put 5 down? Is it foolish not to?

We went to Lancaster today. She likes the course but not the uni. It was going to be one of the 5 and she doesn’t really have another option so if she picks a 5th it would really be one she picks blind.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 21, 12:41 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by novocastrian View Post
Thanks

thats not quite what we've heard they defiantly singled out pupils whos parents are not university educated maybe just to help with applications rather than universities entrance quotas

cheers
I’ve seen a few criteria and first generation to go to university is definitely one of them.
Post code is one
Care leavers

Each uni seems to have different requirements to qualify but it is worth checking.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 21, 02:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Tetrarch
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 23
Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
Do you have to put 5 down? Is it foolish not to?

We went to Lancaster today. She likes the course but not the uni. It was going to be one of the 5 and she doesn’t really have another option so if she picks a 5th it would really be one she picks blind.
No, you don't have to put down 5 choices. Is it foolish not to? Well there's no point putting somewhere your DD has no intention of choosing, but on the other hand, if she likes the course and doesn't have an alternative 5th option, maybe she should apply anyway.

She could always send the application now with 4 choices on which gives her time to think about a fifth option that can be added later, as long as it's by the January deadline.

Debra
Old 22 Nov 21, 04:29 PM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

You don't need to put down 5 choices, and it does seem mad to put down one you know you don't like. We put down the top 2 that my son had visited and liked, 2 that we had not had the chance to visit (in those days you got called for a visit to your choices) and 1 that he thought he didn't have a hope in hell of getting in. He was lucky as he was doing a subject they were desperate for students for, so he got an offer for all 5, although his gamble one was for a foundation year. He ended up at his original top 1
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 21, 04:38 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
I’ve seen a few criteria and first generation to go to university is definitely one of them.
Post code is one
Care leavers

Each uni seems to have different requirements to qualify but it is worth checking.
Thanks thats definitely the impression we have been given
novocastrian is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 21, 05:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Noodle500
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Pookie3101 View Post
I wish I could afford it but I’m a single parent and that’s over half my monthly take home pay.
Could you approach the school and ask for 1 to 1 tutoring as covid catch up? Pupil premium grant funded extra tuition, may be with a teacher at school.

Also maybe look at Oak Academy the free schooling website set up by the government during lockdown. Perhaps she could go through the syllabus with her teacher to help identify areas to look at
Noodle500 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 21, 06:32 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Tetrarch View Post
No, you don't have to put down 5 choices. Is it foolish not to? Well there's no point putting somewhere your DD has no intention of choosing, but on the other hand, if she likes the course and doesn't have an alternative 5th option, maybe she should apply anyway.

She could always send the application now with 4 choices on which gives her time to think about a fifth option that can be added later, as long as it's by the January deadline.

Debra
I didn’t realise you could add one later, that’s helpful to know.
Old 22 Nov 21, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

123's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Tetrarch View Post

Debra
The deadline to add additional institutions to an existing application (if you didn't select the full 5 at the outset) is May not January.

The January date is the date which guarantees the Uni has to respond to you by mid May
123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 21, 11:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Tetrarch
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 23
Originally Posted by 123 View Post
The deadline to add additional institutions to an existing application (if you didn't select the full 5 at the outset) is May not January.

The January date is the date which guarantees the Uni has to respond to you by mid May
Sorry, but this is incorrect. The deadline for equal consideration is 6pm on 26th January 2022. After this date universities are no longer obliged to consider any applications and courses will close if they have made enough offers to fulfil their quota. The latest date to add a choice/apply is actually 6pm on 30th June 2022 but if you want to guarantee equal consideration, the Jan deadline is final.

Debra