Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 24 Nov 21, 06:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Briggykins
Helping Minnie

Driving after overnight flight

Anyone have any experience of driving home after landing back in the UK?

We land in Heathrow at about half nine in the morning and I'm weighing up the pros and cons of taking the car vs the train. The car is significantly cheaper and more convenient, but I really dread the 3-4 hour drive home after probably a pretty poor sleep on the plane, not to mention the jetlag. Anyone experienced this?
Briggykins is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 21, 06:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Mary A
Imagineer

Mary A's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Will not drive the 2.5 hours home after a night flight again. Train or day room for us

First visit 1989, last visit March 19. Next holiday Washington, Key West & Orlando May 20. Planning Hawaii for March 21
Mary A is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 21, 06:29 PM  
Link to this Post
HenrysDad
Imagineer

HenrysDad's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I have always driven, but the longest has been 3.5 hours from Manchester v 2 hours from Gatwick.
Always managed OK, but be prepared to admit defeat and stop for 40 winks in the services of you start to feel tired.
Old 24 Nov 21, 06:47 PM  
Link to this Post
frances01
slightly serious Dibber

We have driven a few times 3.5 hours home after a night flight Sometimes we have to stop for a snooze but usually manage it in one. If we had the time I think I would go for a day room to make it easier when driving.
Sept 97 Orlando, Sept 98 Orlando, Sept 00 Orlando, Mar 03 Orlando, Feb 04 DLP, Apr 05 Orlando, Oct 06 Orlando, Oct 07 St Augustine/Orlando, Oct 08 Disney Eastern Caribbean Cruise/Orlando, Oct 09 Orlando, Oct 10 Orlando/Disney Western Caribbean Cruise, Oct 11 Orlando, Oct 13 Orlando. Oct 14 Orlando, Oct 15 Orlando/Keys, Jul 17 Orlando, Feb 22 Orlando, Jul 23 Orlando
frances01 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 21, 06:52 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Yes no real problems.
Old 24 Nov 21, 06:56 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Yes no real problems.
Us too. Only bad one was when SIL went wrong way round M25 from Heathrow oh and we once found ourself heading for Dover from Gatwick.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 21, 06:59 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
Us too. Only bad one was when SIL went wrong way round M25 from Heathrow oh and we once found ourself heading for Dover from Gatwick.
At first reading I thought you meant the wrong way around the M25 as in the wrong carriageway!

I haven’t done it for years as we’ve always been from Manchester recently (apart from Summer 2019 when we went from Doncaster which was fantastic).
Old 24 Nov 21, 07:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Lola
Imagineer

Lola's Reviews
I did it once for a 2 hour drive when the trains were not running due to track works, wouldn’t do it again unless no other option. I know people who book a day room at an airport hotel for a sleep and a shower.
Lola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 21, 07:11 PM  
Link to this Post
silverfox46
Imagineer

Not any more, last time I wrote my car off a couple of miles from home. Stopped for coffee and walk around half way, but nodded off even though music on , windows open etc. Soon woke up when I hit the barriers 😫😫
The train takes the strains these days
silverfox46 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 21, 07:11 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

We have this issue, particularly after a 10 hour flight and a 9 hour time zone change from the West Coast on what is generally an evening take off.

Our drive to Falmouth is 5 hours plus from LHR and 6.5 if unfortunate enough to use LGW. In earlier years, I have driven it straight off, but now look to do a hotel perhaps an hour towards the west.

Now there is to be just Mandie and I after next Easter, we will be looking to the train!

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 07:13 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List