Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 26 Nov 21, 08:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Lostbrain
Imagineer

We have driven without incident, but it’s stressful, we’re only about 90 minutes from Gatwick and slightly less from LHR but the M25 can easily add another hour to our journey. Got a taxi last time and we’re getting a train for our next trip, definitely worth the expense and thankfully we have good rail access to LGW.
Lostbrain is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 21, 08:47 AM  
Link to this Post
JessBlu
Imagineer

We drive, it’s grim but worth the holiday.
JessBlu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 21, 10:42 AM  
Link to this Post
dil2373
Getting Excited

We live in the East Midlnds & in 2022 are booked from Heathrow (May) And Gatwick (September) so 4-5 hour drive (including coffee breaks).
Would much prefer manchester but for 4 people the cost saving was £2000, so no brainer really would rather spend it in our fun place.

Edited at 10:51 AM.
dil2373 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 21, 11:44 AM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 50

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 1
We drive home from either Man 2.5 hours, or London - further.
We stop at several places for a break, fresh air, coffee etc and have always been fine. We don't have kids with us and if we felt we needed to we would stop off at a Travel lodge or similar. .
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
BOOKED - Beach Club Villas Sept '24, Disney Treasure & POR Sept '25
TRIP REPORT INDEX
www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835984

Edited at 11:54 AM.
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 21, 09:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Welshjim22
Apprentice Imagineer

Do it every trip, drive back to Wales. Its no big deal, bit of sleep on the flight. Stop for 1 or 2 coffees (cheaper if you can stop without waking the wife). Then it's a 60 min round trip after unloading car to collect the dog if we get back in time.
Welshjim22 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 21, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
PopAlways
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Scotsmomma2 View Post
It's scary reading the stories of those who have nodded off at the wheel, we've done the 4 hours back to Scotland twice with my son driving,It was snowing a blizzard one time and was terrifying as he was so tired,we pulled over often.After that we always got the train and stayed in a Premier Inn and came home the following day..if you get a cheap rate we now always book the day we're flying home and the day we arrive,nothing beats getting off the long flight and being able to have a Premier Inn breakfast and then head to bed to watch TV and doze on and off,next morning,after breakfast and fresh as daisies we head home.We have 2 nights this time for £62,well worth it.
That’s a better idea for me than a day room and having to drive later.
PopAlways is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 21, 11:50 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

have always driven

im a service engineer so quite used to driving about all night on not much sleep

red bull / chocolate & fresh air, stop every 45 mins or so for walkabout

even a 10 min nana nap if needed
novocastrian is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 21, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Scotsmomma2
Imagineer

Originally Posted by PopAlways View Post
That’s a better idea for me than a day room and having to drive later.
It really is bliss,the knowing you've got a lovely comfy bed right away is a great feeling when you land.
Scotsmomma2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 21, 11:56 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
Actually I'm wondering if driving home in your own familiar car on familiar roads is any worse than getting into a strange car and driving on very unfamiliar roads in some cases for hours after being awake for over 16 hours.
Which is why we prefer to do neither.
We don’t like driving tired so as it’s not essential but just a holiday , we don’t .
Bothers some , doesn’t bother others , like a lot of things, one size doesn’t fit all.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 21, 12:07 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

As I think has already been said people will have different feelings about this based on how they cope with jet lag.

In the days when I sued to work for a living and had to travel to the USA 3 or 4 times a team I would drive back from LGW to South Wales but it wasn't something I would do by choice. I would certainly stop at services to have a nap to reduce the tiredness and risk.

If you do do it make sure you listen to your body!