Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 16 Aug 17, 11:00 PM  
Link to this Post
fizzypop
Imagineer

Avis problem - additional charges

We booked our car with Avis via British Airways. Checked it all at the time and that we had all the insurances etc. Had Avis preferred so went to parking Bay and drove to the kiosk, was given a card the size of a boarding pass and drove away.

We returned our car on Saturday, making sure we returned it with a full tank of fuel and as we were getting our cases out of the car we were given a receipt by a lady who walked away very quickly. DH just put it in his pocket as we were trying to sort out the cases.

We have now noticed they have charged us £137 on our credit card. We thought everything we needed was covered and used Avis preferred so we didn't get the hard sell for extras that we didn't need after a long flight. Looks like we have been had anyway without anyone even speaking to us. :angry:

Do you think there is anything we can do about it now? We can't even work out what we have been charged for as it is all in abbreviations and none of it adds up anyway.

DH is going to ring Avis tomorrow. I can't see how we could have been charged for optional extras if we weren't asked if we wanted them.
fizzypop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 17, 11:17 PM  
Link to this Post
JAF
Imagineer

Would definitely query it with Avis. We have used this in the past and never had a problem as the garage have just handed us the keys and paperwork. If you do not have any joy with Avis would try credit card company and request a charge back and see if they will handle it for you.
JAF is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 17, 11:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

Can you contest the charges through your credit card?
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 17, 01:14 AM  
Link to this Post
DFCH-Andy
DIBB Advertiser
- DIBB Advertiser -

You can download your receipt from avis/en/reservation/get-e-receipt.

There should be something that says something similar to 'non pkg items' in the left column.. hopefully that says $0? If it has an amount then somethings been added on. If you look in the right column it'll list whats been added as well as the price. The ones they like to add on are the emergency sickness cover, personal accident cover and/or the roadside safetynet (RSN). Any of those have a price next to them?

www.discountfloridacarhire.co.uk
DFCH-Andy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 17, 03:12 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

I currently have an avis rental. All paid in full via BA. Got handed the paper card slip and specifically said I don't want any extras or upgrades. Lady said yes that's fine. However there was an amount for $146 on it - she said that was optional and I hadn't accepted it. But my app shows a higher amount owing than the BA voucher. I'm livid. Tried tweeting and fb messenger with no response. Rang the airport and just get passed around.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 17, 04:33 AM  
Link to this Post
fizzypop
Imagineer

Yes Andy, those are the ones. We didn't agree to any extras at all, we were just given a card and off we went. We are cross. And the way we were just quickly given a receipt as we returned the car was very naughty of them. Didn't think about contacting the credit card company. We have booked with Avis via BA before and never had a problem with them which is why we did it again.
fizzypop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 17, 07:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Rosielady
Very Serious Dibber

Rosielady's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Mobile

Email them , they will correct it
Old 17 Aug 17, 09:51 AM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by fizzypop View Post
Yes Andy, those are the ones. We didn't agree to any extras at all, we were just given a card and off we went. We are cross. And the way we were just quickly given a receipt as we returned the car was very naughty of them. Didn't think about contacting the credit card company. We have booked with Avis via BA before and never had a problem with them which is why we did it again.
Two things. I know it's too late for you, but for others...When you are given your documents, be it a card or whatever, check what it says there and then, and dispute it at the time if you think it's wrong. Get them to change it, not an "assurance " that it will be ok from the rep. Remember they are on commission.

Similarly on return, the rep will ping the barcode and hand you a printout from their hand held machine, it's not naughty, it's just the way they do it for everyone. They ping and print for your car, then quickly into the next, then the next, etc etc. The rep does not know what you have or haven't agreed to. The machune just prints out what is on your contract.
Again read it there and then, and dispute at the time. You may need to ask for a supervisor, as the return reps can't change the printouts.

I'm sorry if this maybe sounds harsh, but I'm just passing on what I've learned in over twenty years of car hiring in the USA. I've been in the same situation in my early rentals, and learned by my mistakes. Just passing on how I do it now

Edited at 09:53 AM.
PPM is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 17, 09:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by PPM View Post
Two things. I know it's too late for you, but for others...When you are given your documents, be it a card or whatever, check what it says there and then, and dispute it at the time if you think it's wrong. Get them to change it, not an "assurance " that it will be ok from the rep. Remember they are on commission.

Similarly on return, the rep will ping the barcode and hand you a printout from their hand held machine, it's not naughty, it's just the way they do it for everyone. They ping and print for your car, then quickly into the next, then the next, etc etc. The rep does not know what you have or haven't agreed to. The machune just prints out what is on your contract.
Again read it there and then, and dispute at the time. You may need to ask for a supervisor, as the return reps can't change the printouts.

I'm sorry if this maybe sounds harsh, but I'm just passing on what I've learned in over twenty years of car hiring in the USA. I've been in the same situation in my early rentals, and learned by my mistakes. Just passing on how I do it now
Good response.

I can top it though as I have rented for 41 years out there!

I have had monies added - soon removed!
I had to pay for a tow truck and an electrical repair - Refunded all my costs plus loads more!
I have had cars with issues - Sometimes money back, sometimes free fuel for the next trip.

Be observant, be suspicious and challenge politely. They will help you out.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 17, 12:41 PM  
Link to this Post
BigSkip
Imagineer

I had issues with Avis last time i went - Booked via BA, but voucher not applied to hire. A quick Twitter to BA soon got it sorted.

Have booked with Avis via BA again - hope that it is smoother this time.
BigSkip is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List