Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 6 Feb 21, 11:49 PM  
Link to this Post
louiseybobs
Imagineer

louiseybobs's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Garage conversion UPDATE 15/11/21

Hello! A few of you lovely lot will remember we purchased our old home (built in 1866) and all the 'fun' we had doing it up! 🤪

Well 5 years down the line, were ready to find our forever home. And we love the idea of a new build. We love the bloor homes, high ceilings big open rooms. I run a business from home currently in our dining room, but in the new build I'd like to convert the garage into my office.

Has anyone done this? And any idea of cost?
This would be what the house looks like if that helps!

UPDATE:
So we bought our new build, we went for a bigger one that the one above; been in now since June and absolutely love it! One of the builders on site converted the garage for us and it’s gorgeous!

Edited at 10:16 PM.
louiseybobs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 21, 11:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

I bought a new build once and never ever would again unless it was a one off but never o a development.

In addition to that you may not be allowed to make any changes to the house certainly ones that change the front of the house without their permission and they would probably not allow you to make any changes that change the appearance of the house.

Edited at 11:53 PM.
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 21, 11:59 PM  
Link to this Post
louiseybobs
Imagineer

louiseybobs's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Originally Posted by Sew109 View Post
I bought a new build once and never ever would again unless it was a one off but never o a development.

In addition to that you may not be allowed to make any changes to the house certainly ones that change the front of the house without their permission and they would probably not allow you to make any changes that change the appearance of the house.
I asked the sales guy he said a few other home owners had asked the head office about bricking up their garage doors and they're sorting them with the bricks to match the front so I guess it can be done? But thanks for the heads up! I'll double check
Old 7 Feb 21, 12:09 AM  
Link to this Post
disney1st timer
Imagineer

Mobile

I bought a beautiful 4 bed detached new build 3 years ago and love it, not all new builds are to be hated! There is a covenant in our deeds that says we need their permission for certain changes but it does not say they are not allowed. I’m sure it’s only for a certain amount of years too (5 from memory I think). I’ve not converted my garage though so can’t advise on any of that!
2018 - Villa in Davenport
2022 - Blue Tree Resort
disney1st timer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 21, 12:29 AM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

The Bloor homes look really nice, I guess you are looking at the ones near us.
Our house is over 20 years old now and we had our garage converted around 15 years ago. Its divided into two rooms, the back half is a utility/storage room and the front is an office. One thing I would say is make sure it's well insulated, our office is quite cold so we use a small heater in there since hubby is working at home.
Cost wise, something like 5k rings a bell for ours, but that will be well out of date now. I'd say probably double that at least.
JudyC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 21, 12:31 AM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

Originally Posted by JudyC View Post
The Bloor homes look really nice, I guess you are looking at the ones near us.
Our house is over 20 years old now and we had our garage converted around 15 years ago. Its divided into two rooms, the back half is a utility/storage room and the front is an office. One thing I would say is make sure it's well insulated, our office is quite cold so we use a small heater in there since hubby is working at home.
Cost wise, something like 5k rings a bell for ours, but that will be well out of date now. I'd say probably double that at least.
I've just realised the garage is detached on the photo, ours is integral.
93 94 03 2023 DLP
JudyC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 21, 06:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Claudette
VIP Dibber

I converted a detached garage about 12 years ago. It was a much larger garage than the one in the photo, it has double garage doors so about twice the size. I have not changed the outside appearance, it still looks like a double garage from the outside but one set of doors is unusable.

The space has been converted into three; a home cinema, a home office and regular garage storage space. I believe we spent about £14k including putting in the flooring and electrics for the home cinema.
Claudette is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 21, 06:40 AM  
Link to this Post
evergreen
Imagineer

We did in our last house but the garage was integrated, can remember the cost but remember we didn’t need planning as no bay window (it was still approved with building regs ) had a fire escape window where the external door to garage was as it was off the kitchen.

Edited at 07:05 AM.
evergreen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 21, 06:57 AM  
Link to this Post
mandevillepete
Apprentice Imagineer

We converted our garage although it is integrated. Changed the door to a window. Bricked up the existing door into the house and put in a new doorway leading into the hallway of the house. Had an en suite fitted. Cost around £20,000. That was around seven years ago

Editing to add that this cost included all fittings, insulating the walls, tiling walls and floors in en suite, carpeting etc. It is for my sons bedroom so had to be done so he could use as a proper room.

Edited at 10:02 AM.
mandevillepete is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 21, 07:33 AM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

We had a detached double in our old house which was a new build. Did’t get quotes but it was only single brick skin plus open to rafters so we were told would need fully lined and floor raised to meet building regs. If we wanted windows would have needed pp. However a house further along did convert theirs to a granny flat, so can be done.

This house has a double integral garage under our bedroom that we are about to convert to dining kitchen. Building work is around 30k including new windows, doors, raising floor, fireproofing ceiling plus new stud wall for utility and knocking through to old kitchen plus a steel for that then boarding and plastering whole lot, plumbing and electrics 8k, kitchen, appliances and worktop will be about 18k. We are replacing garage door with cladding as again would have needed pp to add windows. Hopefully yours would be cheaper, ours is complex with needing to move water pipes and mains and same with electric.

Hopefully it will balance the kitchen with the rest of the house otherwise no way we would do it as dreading the next3 months😫😭

Good luck, make sure the location is what you want is all I would say - you can change the house but not move it. The location is why we’ve bankrupted ourselves and stressed out with an old neglected house rather than a nice new build!