Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 2 Jun 21, 08:31 PM  
Link to this Post
ncmurray
Imagineer

Fish and Chips...

... Why are most chippies such poor quality?

Our local fish and chip shop is truly vile. Words can't describe how woeful it is... the cheapest of the cheap shop bought frozen chips, and a fish that is literally... and I mean literally, swimming in grease

We have another one that we can drive to, about ten minutes away, and again, truly not worth the journey.

There is another one, an award winning chippie called the Cod Father in Northwich that is obviously resting on its laurels, even though they have slipped a LOT. They are only open for a couple of hours a day, two at lunch time and two at 'tea' time. They close at 7! Not only that, they are outrageously expensive. I went there at lunch time a few weeks back, and spent £7 on a tiny portion of chips and a very mediocre fish. We don't eat much, and usually only eat a fraction of a regular takeout, but this was tiny!

Oh, how I miss Burdocks fish and chips in Dublin
Old 2 Jun 21, 09:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Excitedx4
Imagineer

Excitedx4's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
The man who owned the codfather was killed in a car accident a few months ago which may be why you say things are slipping. I lived in Northwich for 10 years and can recommend Lucky Petes chippy in winnington. Never had a problem really in Northwich. Where are you based?
Excitedx4 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 21, 09:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

There is an excellent one in our area but it is slightly too far to walk and we don’t drive! The nearest one is awful.
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 21, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandraoh40
VIP Dibber

We have a really good chippy where we stay. It’s called Dominics , but for a real treat we would go to Largs where there is one called Fishworks which is really really good. It’s the only one I’ve been in that does a smoked haddock supper which just delighted my dh, but stunk the car out for weeks...
Sandraoh40 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 21, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Mobile

We have one on our town. It’s either amazing or amazingly awful. There’s no consistency.
As a result we don’t bother with it. It’s quite expensive too I think

Our 2015 Food Trip Report http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=891973
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 21, 09:12 PM  
Link to this Post
ncmurray
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Excitedx4 View Post
The man who owned the codfather was killed in a car accident a few months ago which may be why you say things are slipping. I lived in Northwich for 10 years and can recommend Lucky Petes chippy in winnington. Never had a problem really in Northwich. Where are you based?
We are out in Sandiway/Cuddington, so Winnington is a little too far to drive to have a hot meal
Old 2 Jun 21, 09:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

The one we use is sometimes great - and sometimes rubbish.
It's pot luck
Always a gamble
And it shouldn't be.
I honestly feel like saying 'Let me look at it first before I part with my cash please'
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 21, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Vanillapod View Post
We have one on our town. It’s either amazing or amazingly awful. There’s no consistency.
As a result we don’t bother with it. It’s quite expensive too I think
snap!
Puts you off bothering doesn't it
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 21, 09:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

We we to the beach today and we was trying to remember the last time we had anything from a chippy. It must be years and years. Maybe we have always been to poor ones as its just a pile of greasy slop to us 😬😬
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 21, 09:15 PM  
Link to this Post
pompeyboy
Apprentice Imagineer

That's a shame fish & chips was always an added bonus during a trip up North for the football don't think we ever got a bad meal and the prices were crazy cheap compared to here.

We're quite lucky in the Portsmouth area there are some really good chippies although my old favourite has priced themselves out at £9 for a small cod and £3 for chips.

I found another that may have Northern roots as they sell gravy and deep fried Mars bars but the fish is great and a medium chips serves 2 or 3
pompeyboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List