Notices
Photo, Video & Vlogs Photography, Video and Vlog discussions

Old 24 Sep 21, 05:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Hammerstone
Very Serious Dibber

Best all round recorder/camera?

I’m looking to get a decent camera/video recorder to document my Orlando trip at the end of November.

I’m currently having the opinion the go pro hero 9 is the best, but what other options are there? And also is it worth the money compared to earlier models?
Hammerstone is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 21, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

What do you want to do with it? There’s a Hero 10 now which is much better than 9, but you only really need an action cam if you’ll be taking it in the water. I have a GoPro. I also have a Panasonic G9 but that is too serious a piece of kit for most.
Much better option for all round photos and video in a compact and easy to use package is Sony ZV1. In fact I’m thinking of getting one. Excellent they are. Current £630 on Amazon or so but you do now get the grip/ tripod with controls on it free (from yesterday) which is worth 135. Alternatively if you Google it refurbished, Sony centre have it for 510.
I wouldn’t recommend anything else unless you want to spend 1000 ish, and move into a bigger body.
If you are good at shooting and editing, this is what ZV1 can do which is best in class:

Move up to £1000 or so, this is what you can get with a G9 etc (talented editor who likes speed ramping!):

Edited at 09:21 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 21, 09:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Hammerstone
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
What do you want to do with it? There’s a Hero 10 now which is much better than 9, but you only really need an action cam if you’ll be taking it in the water. I have a GoPro. I also have a Panasonic G9 but that is too serious a piece of kit for most.
Much better option for all round photos and video in a compact and easy to use package is Sony ZV1. In fact I’m thinking of getting one. Excellent they are. Current £630 on Amazon or so but you do now get the grip/ tripod with controls on it free (from yesterday) which is worth 135. Alternatively if you Google it refurbished, Sony centre have it for 510.
I wouldn’t recommend anything else unless you want to spend 1000 ish, and move into a bigger body.
Mostly will be filmed walking around parks, going on rides etc, and also swimming in the sea etc so waterproof is a must.

I didn’t want to really spend more than 300, but I’ll have a look at Sonys range
Hammerstone is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 21, 09:28 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Hammerstone View Post
Mostly will be filmed walking around parks, going on rides etc, and also swimming in the sea etc so waterproof is a must.

I didn’t want to really spend more than 300, but I’ll have a look at Sonys range
GoPros are fine but you won’t get the same quality as a ZV1. Fixed focus lens v autofocus. ZV1 has a 1 inch sensor. Here’s another ZV1 video. But if waterproof as in you can take in a pool and that is a necessity get GoPro 10 so you’ve answered your own question really.

Another option if 300 is your limit is Osmo pocket 2 which has built in gimbal and makes better on land videos than a GoPro.
Old 24 Sep 21, 09:40 PM  
Link to this Post
kaytronika
slightly serious Dibber

I've used the following in the last couple of years:

GoPro Hero 7 - Great for waterproof and fantastic image stability, pretty bad for sound, useless for stills tbh. Low light video is not great also.
Canon G7X Mk2 - Great for vlogging, good image stability, auto focus isn't the best but you get used to it. Good low light. Ours is a good four years old and started to age so we swapped it out.
Sony ZV-1 - Replaced the G7X, great with the optional tripod, nice enough quality video and decent audio.. But slow compared to the G7X and not as good as a stills camera. Image stability not as good as the G7X

If you could find a decent second hand G7X in good condition I would consider that.

I've also used a Samsung Galaxy S21 and a Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro to vlog, the S21 is pretty decent for most things in a pinch tbh.
kaytronika is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 21, 09:47 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by kaytronika View Post
I've used the following in the last couple of years:

GoPro Hero 7 - Great for waterproof and fantastic image stability, pretty bad for sound, useless for stills tbh. Low light video is not great also.
Canon G7X Mk2 - Great for vlogging, good image stability, auto focus isn't the best but you get used to it. Good low light. Ours is a good four years old and started to age so we swapped it out.
Sony ZV-1 - Replaced the G7X, great with the optional tripod, nice enough quality video and decent audio.. But slow compared to the G7X and not as good as a stills camera. Image stability not as good as the G7X

If you could find a decent second hand G7X in good condition I would consider that.

I've also used a Samsung Galaxy S21 and a Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro to vlog, the S21 is pretty decent for most things in a pinch tbh.
Yes the downside to the Canons is autofocus. A bugbear with my G9 albeit they made the G9 much better with firmware. Sony autofocus clearly best in market.
Are you putting the Sony on Steadyshot, assume so? Crops in though.
Old 24 Sep 21, 09:51 PM  
Link to this Post
kaytronika
slightly serious Dibber

Yeah we use steadyshot but still find it jitters as we walk along.. Probably fighting me with the shakes! Spoken to a few vloggers who have the same issue with the ZV-1
kaytronika is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 21, 10:00 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by kaytronika View Post
Yeah we use steadyshot but still find it jitters as we walk along.. Probably fighting me with the shakes! Spoken to a few vloggers who have the same issue with the ZV-1
My G9 has outstanding stabilisation. It’s just a bit big, particularly with my favourite Sigma lens on it, so I’m looking for a pocket B cam. No perfect one out there but ZV1 seemed the best for the autofocus. Appreciate stabilisation has limitations but I’m not a walk and talk Vlogger.
Old 25 Sep 21, 10:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Hammerstone
Very Serious Dibber

I think on balance I’ll get the go pro 9. The 10 I think is out my price range for my level of use it will get and other needs

Also, the big draw is iPhone connectivity
Old 30 Sep 21, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

I just ordered the ZV1 with the free handgrip offer.

I researched extensively, there’s no perfect solution. The Canon mentioned above is only 1080p, so that’s no good for me. The new Sony APS C Vlogging camera has poor rolling shutter. The Canon G7X Mk III is slated (I ordered one on release and quickly cancelled when I saw the reviews) with poor autofocus, and overheating.

So, Sony ZV1 seemed the best for me. I’ll see what I think.