Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 17 Oct 21, 09:42 AM  
Link to this Post
hexagon
VIP Dibber

hexagon's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
Testing waters with baby names

Basically I’m bored and me and step mum were discussing me having children in the future yesterday and then the discussion turned to names. Bearing in mind this isn’t going to be for another 3-5 years. I’m jus5 testing the waters,

What do you think of Endeavour for a boy?

And Marsaili (MAR sa lee) for a girl?

These are my current favourite names, I’m unsure whether I should keep them for cats though lol.
hexagon is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 10:19 AM  
Link to this Post
arielrocks
VIP Dibber

Here’s what I’ve learnt. Don’t ask for peoples opinion. If they don’t like it you will doubt your choice. And it is YOUR choice. 🤣

I loved Sadie for my little girl, but everyone said no to it and I’ve regretted it since I asked. 😓

Bear in mind that if it’s different or an unusual spelling it will be hard to get things for her/him with their names on it. Which isn’t a big deal for me, but kids don’t like missing out on things.
arielrocks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 10:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Eeyore rocks
VIP Dibber

Eeyore rocks's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I echo the post above…it’s your child, so name it what you want….all my 3 have unusual names, and my mum hated them…but she had her time naming us! 🤣
My 3 are called..
DD1: Topaz
DD2: Azure
DS1: Adric.

Orlando..Feb 1998, Jun 2003, Nov 2004, Dec 2008, Nov 2009, Aug 2010, Nov 2010, Sep 2011, Nov 2012, Nov 2013, Oct 2014, Sept 2015, Nov 2015, Sept 16, Jan 2017, Nov 2017, Jan 2018, June 2018, Dec 2018, June 2019, Dec 2019, Feb 2022, May 2023, Oct 2024.

Las Vegas..Dec 1998, Jan 2002, Jan 2004, Jan 2005, May 2006, Mar 2009, Apr 2011, Jan 2012, Aug 2012, Jan 2013, Feb 2014, Feb 2015 Feb 2016, Nov 2016.

New York...Nov 2018, Dec 2021.
Eeyore rocks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 10:30 AM  
Link to this Post
hexagon
VIP Dibber

hexagon's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Eeyore rocks View Post
I echo the post above…it’s your child, so name it what you want….all my 3 have unusual names, and my mum hated them…but she had her time naming us! 🤣
My 3 are called..
DD1: Topaz
DD2: Azure
DS1: Adric.
They’re super cool names.
hexagon is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 10:32 AM  
Link to this Post
hexagon
VIP Dibber

hexagon's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by arielrocks View Post
Here’s what I’ve learnt. Don’t ask for peoples opinion. If they don’t like it you will doubt your choice. And it is YOUR choice. 🤣

I loved Sadie for my little girl, but everyone said no to it and I’ve regretted it since I asked. 😓

Bear in mind that if it’s different or an unusual spelling it will be hard to get things for her/him with their names on it. Which isn’t a big deal for me, but kids don’t like missing out on things.
Yeah I know but I like getting opinions on things lol. I don’t think it’ll put me off though, more put things in perspective. I have a rather classic name (Alice) and Id love to name them something a bit more unusual.

Also Sadie is beautiful.
Old 17 Oct 21, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Agree with the above. Most important thing is that you like it.

Although I'll echo the unusual spelling comment. My name is a variation of a more common name which was only just starting to gain popularity as I was growing up. Therefore I would never find it in those kids names souvenir things. My siblings have very common names so could get theirs no problem, and I was left out. Also still have to correct people now when they call me by the more common variation which irrationally annoys me.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 10:50 AM  
Link to this Post
vanlou
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 40
i learnt when our eldest was born not to share our names too much as people always have an opinion about it, and are very happy to tell you it

My 2 would have been Sasha & Penelope had other people not put OH off the names. Saying that I am happy with the names we ended up with.

You need to think very hard with names - will it be shortened/lengthened, does it go with the surname, initials etc I always loved the name Polly, but OHs surname would have made the name in full sound like a tube of toothpaste!

DLP Aug 2004 SQL, Dec 2007 HNY, Dec 2008 DLH
WDW Aug 2011 POFQ/RPR, Aug 2014 - HRH/POFQ
August 2014 trip report - Er, where's the rain?
vanlou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 11:41 AM  
Link to this Post
disney1st timer
Imagineer

Mobile

I say go for what you love, often names can sound weird before meeting a baby but they really do grow in to their names and you find people saying that they hated the name before but now can’t imagine the child without that name!

I really wanted Heidi for a girl and everyone put DH off it. Still love it now but no more kids for us 😂

P.S I love Alice, simple but beautiful. My name is Charlotte and I’ve always loved its simplicity.
2018 - Villa in Davenport
2022 - Blue Tree Resort
disney1st timer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 11:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Princesa
Imagineer

I wouldn’t be put off by names not being available on things, as most things can be easily personalised now. I’d hate to have a name that was constantly misspelled or mispronounced though. I’m a teacher and I dread reading some names from the register as I know I’m going to butcher the pronunciation. There are also some kids who are too quiet to tell you that it’s wrong too, so I’ve gone all year saying the wrong thing and don’t get told until parents’ evening.
Princesa is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Princesa View Post
I wouldn’t be put off by names not being available on things, as most things can be easily personalised now. I’d hate to have a name that was constantly misspelled or mispronounced though. I’m a teacher and I dread reading some names from the register as I know I’m going to butcher the pronunciation. There are also some kids who are too quiet to tell you that it’s wrong too, so I’ve gone all year saying the wrong thing and don’t get told until parents’ evening.
Times change too, I love the name Archie but you certainly would not have called a child that when I was naming mine.
My three grandsons names to me sound more like 3 old men in flat caps playing dominos in a pub, well 2 of them anyway, third one depends on Joe or Joseph.
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List