Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 15 Nov 21, 07:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile oculus quest 2 vr headset

My son (15) is wanting the oculus quest 2 vr headset for Christmas. I have just been reading some reviews and it says that you need a Facebook account. Is this true?
We don’t have a Facebook account nor do we want one. Can you not use it without a Facebook account?
I am bewildered to be honest. Why is a social media account needed?
If there is no other option can we make a fake name with no photo and no activity on it?
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 21, 08:13 PM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

You need a Facebook account - sorry
AntonyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 21, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by AntonyJ View Post
You need a Facebook account - sorry
Can you make a fake account with no pictures or activity on it?
Thanks
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 21, 10:03 PM  
Link to this Post
kathrynmc
Dibbing with Tink

Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
Can you make a fake account with no pictures or activity on it?
Thanks
I wouldn’t advise creating a fake account. Create one with your real name, you don’t have to add photos or even add friends etc
kathrynmc is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 21, 01:21 AM  
Link to this Post
mandco
VIP Dibber

You do have to link it to a Facebook account but once that’s done you don’t to have any activity on the Facebook account.
Oculus is owned by Facebook though not sure why you have to have an account as you don’t actually need to use it.

Ds had a quest for Xmas last year and I Wasn’t keen on the fact it has to be linked to Facebook and didn’t have an account before we got it but he loves it.
I set up a Facebook account purely for it it has no pic, activity or any posts on I haven’t even logged into it since I linked them. All purchases are done via the oculus app

Edited at 01:23 AM.
mandco is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 21, 07:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Donz1979
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by mandco View Post
You do have to link it to a Facebook account but once that’s done you don’t to have any activity on the Facebook account.
Oculus is owned by Facebook though not sure why you have to have an account as you don’t actually need to use it.

Ds had a quest for Xmas last year and I Wasn’t keen on the fact it has to be linked to Facebook and didn’t have an account before we got it but he loves it.
I set up a Facebook account purely for it it has no pic, activity or any posts on I haven’t even logged into it since I linked them. All purchases are done via the oculus app
We done the same,basic account all locked down and like say never looked at it again since. I do think its used if wanted to play with friends x
Donz1979 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 21, 08:14 AM  
Link to this Post
jas72
VIP Dibber

Just want to say has your son used VR before?
Some people can't use it as it makes them motion sick. It would be an expensive gift if it couldn't be used.

Old 16 Nov 21, 12:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridababy16
Trainee Dibber

Yes you need a Facebook account but you don't have to have any activity on it. Had to set one up for DD, she doesn't want to use Facebook and hasn't downloaded the app or had any activity on it. You just need an account to link them
Floridababy16 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 21, 02:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Thank you. He hasn’t ever used a vr so I hope he will be ok 😬😬
He also wears glasses so I hope thats ok too 🤞🏻🤞🏻
Old 16 Nov 21, 06:52 PM  
Link to this Post
mandco
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
Thank you. He hasn’t ever used a vr so I hope he will be ok 😬😬
He also wears glasses so I hope thats ok too 🤞🏻🤞🏻
Glasses are fine & the quest comes with a glasses spacer if you need it.
When you look at games check the intensity level comfortable are unlikely to cause motion sickness intense level ones are better left until you are a bit more experienced and used to using the vr though I haven’t seen many with an intense rating. some games are also suitable for playing sat down
mandco is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List