Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 24 Nov 21, 11:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Jan
Imagineer

Jan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Silk pillowcases

Does anyone have these? If so, would you recommend them, what are their best and worst points?
Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 21, 11:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Disclaimer, one of my clients sells silk pillowcases

Silk pillowcases have become the must have product of lockdown and Covid. When my client started selling them in 2019, there were just sold by the high end places but we have noticed since March 2020, so many places in all budget ranges are now selling them.

Like everything, the price will reflect the quality. My client is a fabric shop who imports the silk herself and then gets the silk pillowcases hand made by local dressmakers. As a result her pillowcases would be in the high end price range.

Other places will have factory made pillowcases which they import from China.

Some places will sell single pillowcases, some places will sell a pair of pillowcases, just double check that what you are buying is the quantity you want.
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 21, 11:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Trouble3
Apprentice Imagineer

Trouble3's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I've had silk pillowcases for years, I'm on my 3rd lot now and they last me years (approx 5 years of washing in the washing machine with all the other bedding).

Best type for me are the zippered ones, as I turn the pillow over; found the envelope style annoying.

Used to get them from ebay, where generally they came from China. Last lot came from the UK, Lilysilk, when they were having a sale, £49.60 for a pair.
Old 24 Nov 21, 11:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
Imagineer

I love mine! ...Cool in the summer, but, somehow, not cold in winter. Really smooth and comfortable to lie against. And I like it for my fine, straight hair. Highly recommend.

I hand-wash mine to help them last, because they do wear through and they've also become much more expensive. My first was SilkSkin (apparently the original), but my recent have been John Lewis because they're better value. The only downside of the John Lewis silk pillowcases, is that they are oversized (perhaps to slow down stretching and wearing through, I don't know).

“I cannot discover that anyone knows enough to say definitely what is and what is not possible", Henry Ford

Contemporary Resort - Disneyland Hotel - Treehouse Villas - Vistana - Youth Hostel Anaheim - Quality Inn Intern'l Dr - Port Orleans Riverside
Bianca is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 21, 12:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Trouble3 View Post
I've had silk pillowcases for years, I'm on my 3rd lot now and they last me years (approx 5 years of washing in the washing machine with all the other bedding).

Best type for me are the zippered ones, as I turn the pillow over; found the envelope style annoying.

Used to get them from ebay, where generally they came from China. Last lot came from the UK, Lilysilk, when they were having a sale, £49.60 for a pair.
Five years with machine washing? Maybe, handwashing doesn't actually make that much difference. You might have saved me some work! Plus, I'm making a note of Lilysilk for next time.

“I cannot discover that anyone knows enough to say definitely what is and what is not possible", Henry Ford

Contemporary Resort - Disneyland Hotel - Treehouse Villas - Vistana - Youth Hostel Anaheim - Quality Inn Intern'l Dr - Port Orleans Riverside
Bianca is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 21, 12:00 PM  
Link to this Post
fiendj
Getting Excited

I switched to silk a couple of years ago. I had to decide how much I was willing to pay (as I was on a budget) and I will admit it was on the cheaper end of things. I tried Lilysilk first as it was recommended to me but I personally wasn't a fan. I tried JasmineSilk on the second go. I chose the ones with cotton on one side, not just because they were cheaper but because I wanted the grip on the underside. I love these ones and I have several different colours from the range. It's about £15 for one pillowcase but since there's only me in my bed I wasn't concerned with needing to buy a pair.
They are great for minimising frizz in my hair and have been much kinder on my skin than cotton pillowcases. I also find they stay cooler than cotton which is something I prefer. I do find I have to wash them more often but I am very aware that the reason for this is the eczema cream I use every night.
fiendj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 21, 12:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
Imagineer

Originally Posted by fiendj View Post
I switched to silk a couple of years ago. I had to decide how much I was willing to pay (as I was on a budget) and I will admit it was on the cheaper end of things. I tried Lilysilk first as it was recommended to me but I personally wasn't a fan. ...
Can I ask, what didn't you like about Lilysilk?

Old 24 Nov 21, 01:07 PM  
Link to this Post
storm
Imagineer

DD hated hers. She said she kept slipping off the pillow resulting in a sore neck. They ended up in a charity shop.
storm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 21, 05:01 PM  
Link to this Post
fiendj
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by Bianca View Post
Can I ask, what didn't you like about Lilysilk?
I didn't really like how it felt and I personally didn't think it had good slip which was an important factor for me. I also didn't like the zip for closing. I know a lot of these things are personal preference though so I wouldn't say 'yes definitely buy x brand.'
fiendj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 21, 05:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
Imagineer

Originally Posted by fiendj View Post
I didn't really like how it felt and I personally didn't think it had good slip which was an important factor for me. I also didn't like the zip for closing. I know a lot of these things are personal preference though so I wouldn't say 'yes definitely buy x brand.'
Thanks for this! I agree it's personal preference. I also agree about good slip!