Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 7 Sep 19, 11:52 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

"choice and consequence"

Rather than behaviour and punishment is what I am aspiring to. I think even a three year old can understand if they do something then something else happens. It's then their choice.

I wish I had pushed this approach with my youngest from a younger age. She is 14, and there are consequences all over the place - and I am drinking a lot of tea !
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 19, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post
britishgirl
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

I would take them to the party explaining to them that (the name of child)is expecting them and it is not fair to make them suffer,but they are still in trouble and that you have changed the punishment to straight to their room when you get back and they will not be allowed out except for baths.tea etc and then back in there,that will be a punishment for them and give you chance to be poorly in peace,get your husband on board to deal with any misbehaviour during the evening so you can relax and hopefully feel better tomorrow
britishgirl is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 19, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

Mobile

Also I do think another thing to consider is if you had not been feeling ill or did want to go yourself would you have made the same ultimatum?
Old 7 Sep 19, 11:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

Originally Posted by BerkshireBugsy View Post
The ultimate punishment in modern times !
But a bloomin good one that puts fear of God up my youngest
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 19, 11:56 AM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

I've not read all of the replies and it is possible your judgement may be clouded by the fact you are I'll. It probably happens to most of us - we feel rough and as a result feel less tolerant

One of the differences between myself and my ex (the mother of my two children) was that she would make threats as consequences than bot deliver. As an extreme example she would often say (on a car journey) that "if you two dont behave I will stop the car and leave you on the hard shoulder".

So in your case - ignoring the fact you are feeling I'll- I feel you should go through with your consequence but please dobt abandon them on the side of the motorway.
Old 7 Sep 19, 11:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I would take them to the party, I’m soft and parties never happend much when dd was growing up. I would punish them later, no tv, games console, iPad, make they tidy their room. After a hour and I saw improvement I would give it back, my kids 23 and 17 shared a room in Kefalonia. They got on mostly but had a few arguments, I couldn’t ground them so told them to watch it or we were off to town without them. It was a 50 minute walk or they could eat at the hotel, they soon shut up Lol!
Old 7 Sep 19, 12:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Lindaelaine
Imagineer

I would sit them down and explain that you will take them to the party as it’s not fair on the birthday girl/boy if they don’t go , but they are still going to be punished and depending on how they behave at the party will depend on how severe the punishment is .
Then stick to your guns .
Aug 2018...Westridge. Aug 2019... Miami & Solterra Resort
Lindaelaine is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 19, 12:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

As you’ve told them what the consequence would be, really you should follow up on it as the next time you threaten something it won’t have any impact.

However, I would hate for the child whose party it is to be disappointed and if the parents are having the party at a play gym type place, they will have paid for your child to attend.

Maybe you could sit down with the children and explain that on this occasion because it would be very unfair on their friend that they are allowed to go. Then in future, give consequences you are going to follow up on. Very easy when you are not well to lose your patience so I wouldn’t feel too hard on yourself.
Hope you feel better soon.
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 19, 12:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lindaelaine View Post
I would sit them down and explain that you will take them to the party as it’s not fair on the birthday girl/boy if they don’t go , but they are still going to be punished and depending on how they behave at the party will depend on how severe the punishment is .
Then stick to your guns .
I like that idea! I’m going to invite you round the next time my children are being hard work!😂
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 19, 12:03 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

[QUOTE=Berkshire
please dobt abandon them on the side of the motorway/QUOTE]

My mum once left my sister in the middle of Reading, my sister was even more stubborn than my mum so she had to back down and go back for her. I was almost hysterical with panic and my brother almost hysterical with laughter.

Edited at 12:05 PM.
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List