Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 11 Sep 19, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
not2old4disney
slightly serious Dibber

I was at uni at the time but not in that day so I was working at my part time job in a supermarket - I vividly remember I was re stocking the carrier bags at the end of a till when my friend came in and told me a plane had just flown into the World Trade Centre, I thought she was winding me up! When I realised she was serious we ran up to the canteen which had a TV and arrived just as the second plane hit - I finished my shift soon after and watched the rest unfold on the news at home. Next time I visited the US was 18 months later - We flew into JFK on the 18 month anniversary, it all felt very tense still (understandably) what I found most heartbreaking was when we got anywhere near ground zero, there were still people handing out flyers about their missing loved ones and posters all over the place of the ones who were never found.
not2old4disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 19, 11:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Mallky555
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I was on maternity leave with our 2nd DD she was very hard to settle and cried a lot I was watching on the news and trying to keep her quiet so I could hear what was being said. DH came home as he was on a half day and didn’t believe me when I told him😢 we sat and just watched in disbelief ! Our beautiful girl turned 18 last week and in February we took a special trip to New York so we could pay our respects 😢 so very sad and I remember everyone talking about what next and thinking anything could happen now!
Mallky555 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 19, 11:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Junogirl1
VIP Dibber

Junogirl1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 8

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
I was 8 years old in school. Besides some talk among the teachers and on the playground of World War 3, I don’t remember it that much. Sorry to say, it never really made that much of an impact on me. Probably too young.
Old 11 Sep 19, 11:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
There are a couple of monumental news days in my life I remember vividly this is one of them, I was out shopping with my bestie so oblivious to what was happening and we went to collect her kiddies from school and there was something on the radio in car we half heard and just assumed it was an old news story we’d caught tail end of you know how they have those guess the year sort of thing? We then got home and my neighbour told me what had happened and I think for the next few days I couldn’t stop watching it all on TV cuddling my then 3 year old super tightly. That 3 year old is now 21 and off to New York next week and planning a visit to the memorial. 🌹🌹🌹
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 19, 12:42 PM  
Link to this Post
neatfrk
Imagineer

I had just gotten to work, sat down at my desk and immediately began receiving CNN Breaking News emails... one after the other. Each progressively getting more panicked and stomach churning. Slowly everyone in the entire building migrated to the cafeteria where the news played. All of us dazed, confused and numb (we are just outside of Philadelphia...our office is basically equidistant from NYC, DC and the rural field in Somerset County, PA).

When the true horror of what was happening came into focus, everyone trickled out silently. I rushed to my in-laws house just down the road and was glued to the TV all day. We all were...and as a result we all saw the towers fall in real time that felt like terrible slow-mo.

The next day our company gathered outside and together we solemnly lowered the flag to half staff.

With access to the best color printers in the building, I began printing American flags for our department. Requests for more started coming in...and before long I was printing dozens and dozens of hand cut American flags for everyone in the company...we couldn't churn out flags fast enough. Stores sold out of American flags overnight. Everywhere you looked, every single neighborhood was bursting with a unified sense of patriotism. We were all attacked... race, gender, political party...none of that mattered at all.

In 2001, our entire nation pulled together after such a devastating and defining low; and our country's psyche reached such a soaring high in its recovery. One of the proudest things I think I have ever lived through as an American citizen.

It breaks my heart to see how far we've fallen in the 18 years since.
neatfrk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 19, 12:43 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

Will never forget all those that lost their lives that day & their families ❤️🇺🇸
ClaireNJ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 19, 12:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Ellelledee
Imagineer

Mobile

I was at home - my daughter was 3 in bed having her afternoon nap and I was waiting to pick my son up from school. My mum came up and told me to put the news on and we watched it. Then I went to school and everyone was talking about it.
I don’t think I watched anything else in tv for about a month!
I went to NYC 2017 and visited the 9/11 museum very very emotional place.
Dh went to NYC the year after on the anniversary and it was just craters where the towers had stood 😢.
I obviously remember other things happening but I don’t think I’ve ever known anything like that.
Ellelledee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 19, 12:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Junogirl1 View Post
I was 8 years old in school. Besides some talk among the teachers and on the playground of World War 3, I don’t remember it that much. Sorry to say, it never really made that much of an impact on me. Probably too young.
I was 8 as well, 2 weeks before my 9th birthday. But completely different for me. We didn’t know anything in school, they kept it away from us. However mum rushes me out of school (obviously once it has finished) so she could get back to the car to turn on the radio.
We were home in time to see the North Tower fall. It was horrific and I can see it crystal clear now.

In school the next day, we had a huge assembley on it, we had silences, we had the lot. The news was on constantly for days. It has definitely had a huge impact on me, I have since seen and read everything there is about it.

My heart still breaks for those who lost their lives and loved ones on this day. Its certainly something I will never forget. I am hoping to go and pay my respects in a couple of years when we have the money for a trip.
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 19, 01:03 PM  
Link to this Post
wifey
Imagineer

I was at home with DS and DH was in hospital having investigative tests in his heart, they were working out why his blood pressure was low and he had a lot of chest pain. I cried so much for those who lost their lives and for all those in anguish knot knowing if their loved ones would survive, for the Police and Fire and Rescue workers trying so hard to get the situation under control. It moved me deeply, those images live in my mind to this day. It makes you appreciate how well the emergency services cope in a terrorism attack or natural disaster.
1998 Comfort Inn LBV, 2000 AS Music, 2002 Spring Hill Suites LLB, 2004 AS Movies, 2005 Comfort Inn LBV& Sequoia Lodge DLRP, 2007 AS Movies. September 2009 Port Orleans French Quarter, Yacht Club August 2013 "Club Level" WL August 2015, CBR Celebrating 26 Years Together October 2017.
wifey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 19, 01:12 PM  
Link to this Post
eeyoremad
VIP Dibber

I was at school walking from Maths to English when one of the girls shouted 'Someone has tried to blow up New York' we then got into our class and nothing was said so we were all desperate to get out of school and find out. I didn't find out the extent until I got home.
eeyoremad is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List