Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 20 Nov 19, 12:19 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Hollie04 View Post
This is exactly why we just bought enough points to get us up to 1 beds. Owners are getting more and more points savvy as the price to buy in increases, and the impact on "low" season standard studios is ridiculous. We did a cash stay this month just to avoid fighting for a VGF standard studio over the F&W race weekend.
We always stay 1 beds. Availability is in a different league. Xmas where we wanted, no problem.
Old 20 Nov 19, 01:33 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
We always stay 1 beds. Availability is in a different league. Xmas where we wanted, no problem.
Your posts may have been a big influence in persuading my husband that we needed more points! I know you won't approve of buying direct, but we'll still come out ahead vs cash in the long run.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 19, 09:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Noodlez
Very Serious Dibber

I don’t see the direct/resale discussion as being about approval or disapproval, it’s more about making sure people go into it with their eyes wide open! Sadly, too many people cite reasons for buying direct that really make no sense. As long as you don’t think that you’re guaranteed a whole host of massive perks for years to come, feel free to buy as you choose.

We researched for a long time before we did a tour, and then did more afterwards. We carefully found an ideal resale contract that was great value for money. After buying that, we then went and bought direct as well! (100 points split into 2 contracts). We knew exactly what we were doing and I’m glad we did it. :-)

As the point costs increase each year the direct buys don’t seem quite so expensive anymore. :-)
Noodlez is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 19, 02:19 PM  
Link to this Post
marlouwrig
VIP Dibber

As much as I really don't like this practice I did start trying to walk my reservation for standard view at BLT 6 days ago. Finally was able to book 7 nights today. Will have to modify tomorrow and Sunday and then my work here will be done. As soon as I completed the reservation I went back to check availability and they had all gone at 13.02. I also need a 1 bed but there doesn't seem to be a problem with availability for those.

DVC Member BCV, BLT & VGC
marlouwrig is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 19, 03:10 PM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

Mobile

At 11 months we've managed to get what we wanted, a studio, at Copper Creek. That being said we are not booking for Xmas, if I was then I'd be walking from as early as I could.

We've got 12 nights booked at Copper Creek for May, I did have 18 but when the 7 month window came around I managed to get a studio at AKL and a room at Vero.
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 19, 11:55 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

This walking is getting out of control. They are doing it on 1 beds now at Grand Californian. Walking on 1 beds is unheard of, even there or was. It was obvious the new website would encourage walking.
Old 23 Nov 19, 12:07 PM  
Link to this Post
marlouwrig
VIP Dibber

This walking is getting out of control. They are doing it on 1 beds now at Grand Californian. Walking on 1 beds is unheard of, even there or was. It was obvious the new website would encourage walking.
Absolutely agree, although I've not had a problem to date with reservations at VGC at the 11 month window, I have struggled this time with standard view studios at BLT.

I think a limit on the number of modifications allowed on each reservation would help.

marlouwrig is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 19, 02:05 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

I have taken if you can't beat 'em join 'em approach- I feel a bit guilty- and am now walking a Grand California booking for July. I know an owner can come in and pinch it over the next three weeks, but finger's crossed as it locks 7 monthers out. This system means you have to be selfish. I have never walked anything else though, this is an exception.
Old 26 Nov 19, 02:14 PM  
Link to this Post
marlouwrig
VIP Dibber

I have taken if you can't beat 'em join 'em approach- I feel a bit guilty- and am now walking a Grand California booking for July. I know an owner can come in and pinch it over the next three weeks, but finger's crossed as it locks 7 monthers out. This system means you have to be selfish. I have never walked anything else though, this is an exception.
Same here, but what choice do we have if we are not to be locked out? I have also never walked a reservation before and really can't believe that I have had to do so at the 11 month window, but happily I have now completed my BLT standard view reservation for next October.

Old 30 Nov 19, 08:08 AM  
Link to this Post
CheshireCaty
Apprentice Imagineer

This is exactly my approach. I’d like not to have to do it, but at some of the more popular categories, it’s a necessity. Having said that, I couldn’t be bothered doing it for my Christmas trip and instead I waitlisted BW view, which came through almost immediately and I’m excited to try that for the first time.
WDW - 92, 93, 95, 97, 00 x2, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 09 x2, 10, 11 x2, 12, 13, 14, 15 x2, 17 x2, 18, 19 x 2, 22--- DLP - 95, 01, 03, 06, 11, 14, 18, 19—- Disney Cruise - 2012 - Bahamas, 13 - Med, 15 - 15n EBTA, 16 - Alaska, 19 - Northern Europe.
"You may have noticed I'm not all there myself" -
CheshireCaty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List