Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 29 Oct 19, 10:49 PM  
Link to this Post
tomdan
Imagineer

Mobile Sunflower lanyard. Our experience

Just back from the magical place and thought I would let you know how we got on using our sunflower lanyard. We have 2 sons with special needs. We flew from Birmingham,so when we arrived at the airport we picked up two lanyards from the special assistance desk. We were flying with tui and they put us straight into the premium lane(even though we were flying economy)as there was no wait, we went up to security and as soon as they saw the lanyards we were shown the Express lane for security and there was no wait and nobody rushing us which is a big thing with our sons. When we were ready for boarding one of the special assistance helpers came over as they saw the lanyards and told us to go through the premium Line and also asked if we wanted to board first or last, we chose first as this was best for our sons. Birmingham and Tui were brilliant cannot fault them
We landed into Sanford waited till the end and then got off. Went into immigration and as soon as the lady was our lanyard she showed us to a different question,again no problems and very helpful.
Coming home tui again were brilliant put us through the premium que got on the plane first, the only negative was Sanford only has one security line and they were rushing everyone, but saying that as soon as I told them my son is autistic they did slow down a little with him and let me get to him quicker than they normally would, the ladies were very helpful considering i . had to be patted down 😪 Anyway that's my story and i hope it helps someone who is flying from Birmingham 👍
tomdan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 19, 07:42 AM  
Link to this Post
chris123armit
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Really helpful thanks! We fly Tui from Birmingham next April with our DS with ASD (already been sent out our lanyard in post by them-so impressed already!) Have previously done Gatwick with Virgin so good to know Sanford & Tui are as (if not more) efficient in recognising hidden disabilities & helping to make the journey & airport experience more comfortable! Thanks!
Old 30 Oct 19, 03:39 PM  
Link to this Post
ducati211
Trainee Dibber

That's great, pleased it works for some people, we have used ours several times over the 2 years, different airports/airlines and can honestly say the only people who recognised it were Jet2 who let us board first.

Asked at Miami airport for assistance this year and were told they only offer wheelchairs!
ducati211 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 20, 10:53 AM  
Link to this Post
lastdisney
Earning More Ears

Hi I'm really new to being in this situation, my daughter is just starting on the road to be referred for ADHD. I'm worried about how the airport and how she will cope. We are flying with Virgin from Gatwick do I need to speak to virgin and advise them so maybe we could get some help. Also would we get any help at Orlando International. Thanks in advance I've no clue what I'm allowed to ask for and not.
lastdisney is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 20, 12:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Silvercat
Imagineer

Sent off for one of these for my DH. He suffers from anxiety and depression, and is very easily wound up by security officers at airports. Whilst we do understand that they have to be quite on the ball with visitors, sometimes they can either give conflicting information, or be very brusque with him, which really makes him anxious. So I thought we'd give the Sunflower Lanyard a try this year - we're flying from Manchester so let's see how we get on!
Old 29 Jan 20, 01:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

Originally Posted by Silvercat View Post
Sent off for one of these for my DH. He suffers from anxiety and depression, and is very easily wound up by security officers at airports. Whilst we do understand that they have to be quite on the ball with visitors, sometimes they can either give conflicting information, or be very brusque with him, which really makes him anxious. So I thought we'd give the Sunflower Lanyard a try this year - we're flying from Manchester so let's see how we get on!
Oy ever flown from Manchester and we have a sunflower lanyard for our daughter, the staff have always been fantastic 👍
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 20, 09:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Nicki G
Imagineer

Nicki G's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Originally Posted by Silvercat View Post
Do you mind if I ask where you sent off to for the lanyard. I've been recommended to get one for my youngest but the airport website says you collect on the day of travel. I just feel like I need to be more organised if possible as the airport in the past has not been a good experience for either of us. I am also flying from Manchester.

Nicki
Nicki G is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 20, 09:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Nicki G View Post
Do you mind if I ask where you sent off to for the lanyard. I've been recommended to get one for my youngest but the airport website says you collect on the day of travel. I just feel like I need to be more organised if possible as the airport in the past has not been a good experience for either of us. I am also flying from Manchester.
I noticed that you can get a sunflower lanyard from the customer service desk in the food hall at M&S. They had a poster explaining what they are for and that you just asked for one, no need for any paperwork.
Beth_Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 20, 09:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Nicki G
Imagineer

Nicki G's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Originally Posted by Beth_Disney View Post
I noticed that you can get a sunflower lanyard from the customer service desk in the food hall at M&S. They had a poster explaining what they are for and that you just asked for one, no need for any paperwork.
Thanks I will pop in and ask

Nicki
Nicki G is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 20, 11:09 AM  
Link to this Post
dabjam22
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Beth_Disney View Post
You can also get one from Tesco or Sainsbury’s x