Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 3 May 18, 09:02 AM  
Link to this Post
fileyboy
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

Mobile Disney Hotels v Real Hotels

On previous visits we have stayed at Hyatt Grand Cypress and found it a great place forgetting slight niggles about the resort fee and parking charge but as we did make use of the boats and lake it was not a major problem. The hotel was impeccably clean and with quality furnishings and we paid $150 per night for a room with a great view of the fireworks. Contrast that my recent stay at Disney Yacht Club Resort, the place just looked dated and the room was looking a little shabby around the edges which if I had paid a reasonable price would not have been too bad but at a price of over £500 per night (luckily I was on business so work was paying) just seemed extremely overpriced and just not worth it. Am I missing something or is Disney just trying to cash in on the mysterious “Disney Bubble”?
fileyboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 18, 09:14 AM  
Link to this Post
pad406
VIP Dibber

pad406's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
Originally Posted by fileyboy View Post
On previous visits we have stayed at Hyatt Grand Cypress and found it a great place forgetting slight niggles about the resort fee and parking charge but as we did make use of the boats and lake it was not a major problem. The hotel was impeccably clean and with quality furnishings and we paid $150 per night for a room with a great view of the fireworks. Contrast that my recent stay at Disney Yacht Club Resort, the place just looked dated and the room was looking a little shabby around the edges which if I had paid a reasonable price would not have been too bad but at a price of over £500 per night (luckily I was on business so work was paying) just seemed extremely overpriced and just not worth it. Am I missing something or is Disney just trying to cash in on the mysterious “Disney Bubble”?
Well they are not cheap but £500 seems steep. We're staying at Christmas in the BC and (20/12 to 1/1) we are paying €388 (£342) per night for the BC and we're also returning in Jan, renting DVC points which is working out at €227 (£200) per night. That does not include tickets or dining, but I'm guessing yours doesn't either.

We DO love the bubble, for us it's like we're always in Disney, off-site we'd feel that we're holidaying but visiting Them Parks if you know what I mean. The fact that we also go at Christmas (one of the absolute busiest times), the benefits of EMH, 60+ FP booking and proximity to the parks is important to us. Walking from our room (or even better back to the room after a long day) in less than 10m is worth it for us.

It really is the old Location,Location, Location issue. That's what you are paying for not the hotel really, but we do like the hotels too

Christmas 2018/New Year 2019 (19N) BC - RPR - BC
Christmas 2016/New Year 2017 (18N). SF, LA, Disneyland & SD
Christmas 2014/New Year 2015 (21N). BWI, Hard Rock, Beach Club
April 2012 (21N). New York, Beach Club
Christmas 2010/New Year 2011 (15N). Polynesian & AKL
pad406 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 18, 09:20 AM  
Link to this Post
stupet11
Imagineer

It's a brand that people buy into, with some exclusive perks.

I guess it's debatable how valuable the perks are (a bit like it's debatable if free DDP is free!).

We love being onsite when doing Disney - enables us to get most out of the parks with least effort.

And...do love the brand. Being welcomed home works for me...

But we don't always staff onsite - but offsite is a different type of holiday (we won't do Disney) and still have a fab time. Cheaper!
2012 Fairfield Inn IDrive 2013 Highland Reserve 2014 Old Key West 2015 Old Key West / Fantasy World 2016 New York / Cypress Pointe 2016 Cane Island 2017 Old Key West 2018 Port Orleans Riverside 2019 Keys / Cruise / Rosen Inn IDrive 2022 Port Orleans Riverside 2023 Idrive / Cruise 2023 Universal Dockside
stupet11 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 18, 10:23 AM  
Link to this Post
sprocket
Imagineer

Staying onsite is expensive, but has some great perks and being in the 'Disney Bubble' is worth every penny.

Every year we price onsite vs offsite and always end up paying a little more to be onsite. Yes we may only book a moderate Disney resort compared to a 4 or 5 star off site hotel, but feel its well worth the downgrade.

Off site resort fees, transportation from the airport etc soon add up.
Aug 2017 - RPR & AKL, Oct 2019 - HRH & BC
Oct 2022 - RPR, Poly & AKL
sprocket is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 18, 10:33 AM  
Link to this Post
dismadbrit
Imagineer

dismadbrit's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7
Restaurant Reviews: 13
We like the best of both worlds so we always split stay.
We have a week at a Disney resort and totally immerse ourselves in the whole "Disney Bubble" enjoying the DDP and EMH and transport.
But we do like our week away from the bubble, we have used this week to stay at Universal or a villa or another hotel off site, I know some can't be bothered to move but for us it works and we feel as though we have two holidays in one.
Old 3 May 18, 10:42 AM  
Link to this Post
3family
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Why do you care OP? You have a holiday you enjoy

Other people stay with Disney and enjoy themselves

Shouldn’t matter either way

Different people/families have different needs and wants and as long as people get a holiday they enjoy, that’s all that matters
Old 3 May 18, 01:14 PM  
Link to this Post
LadyDebs86
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by 3family View Post
Why do you care OP? You have a holiday you enjoy

Other people stay with Disney and enjoy themselves

Shouldn’t matter either way

Different people/families have different needs and wants and as long as people get a holiday they enjoy, that’s all that matters
This!

Also, no idea how you got charged £500/night at Yacht Club, either you were in one of the suites or your employer got badly ripped off.
LadyDebs86 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 18, 01:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Shani
Imagineer

We're staying at the Beach Club in October for 2 weeks. It's priced exactly the same as the Yacht Club and we're paying £320 per night. There are 5 of us staying and we have the DDP.

So with all the extras (180+10 reservations, 60 day FP, EMH/EEH, Disney transport so no car to hire, convenience of being onsite etc), and not having to buy any food at all, I don't think it's a bad price, to be honest.

Onsite v offsite is a very hotly debated topic, but the bottom line is that they're very different holidays. It's like comparing apples to oranges, or a European self catering rural studio to an all inclusive in-resort hotel. Nothing wrong with either of them, but they're very different.
2022 - Margaritaville & RPR --- 2023 - Villa & RPR & Surfside
Shani is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 18, 02:25 PM  
Link to this Post

Depends how much you love being at WDW..Our first two trips were one week staying at a Disney resort then moving to a I -drive hotel for the second week..We hated the outside and preferred to stay inside the magic bubble..Our next five vacations were all spent inside our fantasy place, and this year will be the same..
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 18, 06:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Clare
Imagineer

Clare's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 6

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 17
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Without sounding cheesy, I’ve always found staying onsite at Disney ‘magical’, yes you’re paying a premium but it’s a unique experience and one that some love, whilst others hate - bit like marmite.

Now, if you’re after a true 5 Star/luxury hotel still with Disney privileges (FP 60 days, EMH) then go with the Four Seasons, the only Disney perks it doesn’t have are Park-room charging, dining plans and free parking. It also has its own luxury coach.

There’s something for everyone at Disney.
Clare is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List