Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 4 Jul 18, 08:01 AM  
Link to this Post
joyo17
Excited about Disney

joyo17's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Mobile New York Itinery - Help!

Help!
We are off to New York for 7 days in August & I haven't planned a thing!
The DIBB has been my bible for 3 Florida trips & I'm feeling a little bit lost without all the tips & tools.

So lovely Dibbers please hit me with your itineraries!
We are a party of 4 - me, hubby & DS 17 & DD 14. We are staying at the Broadway Plaza hotel.
I have bought a 5 day New York Pass & managed to by baseball tickets for the day before we arrive - see why I need your help!
We would like to do the usual big sites plus grab rush tickets for school of rock & something sporty if poss.
Too much to ask?
Thanks in advance.
Jo
joyo17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jul 18, 01:05 PM  
Link to this Post
redredshopper
Imagineer

Hi I’m there in August and one of our days is Statue of Liberty, World trade centre then get train over to Brooklyn and have an early dinner and walk back over Brooklyn bridge - if it’s too hot we will just train i5 back.
Old 4 Jul 18, 02:03 PM  
Link to this Post
stecee
Imagineer

Both times we’ve been, we didn’t plan anything, we had an idea of what we wanted to see and do and just worked through it. I would recommend you get some kind of guidebook to show where things are. You can then see if any of the things you want to see and do are near each other to save going back and forth across the city.
One thing we did when we went for a week, is a day trip to Philadelphia by train, it only takes 2 hours. We pre booked a walking tour of the historic area which was really interesting.
'Oct 97 Days inn main gate west, June '02 Days inn main gate west, Dec '05 All star movie resort, Aug '07 Caribbean Beach Resort, Sept '09 Port Orleans Riverside, Oct'10 Tour then villa at Highgate, May '12 Emerald Island villa. Oct '14 The Keys then SSR.
stecee is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jul 18, 02:30 PM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

Aim to spend a day in one area, so one day Lower Manhattan, one day mid-town and one day upper, look on a map and make a note of all attractions in that area, star the must sees and note the would like to see and then play by ear. Take advantage of the fact that you will be away very early - we found going straight to Empire and TOTR as they opened meant they had no queue also the view will be better as the heat haze should not have built up.
We did a HOHO bus - negotiated a discount with a street seller, this gave us a good background history of the areas. Aim to just wonder round and soak up the atmosphere rather than rush from A to B.
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jul 18, 02:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Andi
VIP Dibber

We were staying in Times Square (Crowne Plaza) in April. Around the corner from our hotel was M&M World which had 3 or 4 floors to it, also the place they sell the Show tickets at discounted prices was a few hundred yards away. We had purchased Anastasia and Hello Dolly tickets before we went, which were very expensive lol but both shows were outstanding, if we go back I would definitely check out the place in Times Square.

We did the usual World Trade Centre, Rockefella Centre, Empire State Building, World Trade Centre, Cruise on the Hudson River which took us past the Statue of Liberty. We also went to the American Museum of Natural History, could easily spend the whole day here and also loved walking round Central Park.

Each morning even though there was a good coffee place in our hotel we took the very short walk to Starbucks for DD to have a Morning Bun, this was a cinnamon bun (no icing) but tasted fantastic.

We ate at Ruby Tuesdays in TS and this was terrific but very busy, so if going then go early or don't have any plans for the evening if you go later. Olive Garden at TS was great as well but Applebees in was disappointing. We couldn't get into Ellen's Stardust Diner as they were always queued outside and we didn't have time to wait.

We got the underground to World Trade Centre and walked down to it, glad we went. Walking back to the underground we found a Whole Foods which was great and enjoyed the best cooked burgers and fries ever but we definitely came across this place by chance.

In Times Square my advice is don't stop for the guys handing out free CD's, they are just after your money and will try anything to get that from you, if you stop to chat to one the rest target you as well.

At the underground watch out for guys saying they will help you purchase tickets, they want you to give them money for helping you purchase or reload a ticket.

We had a fantastic time and would love to go back.

Enjoy your trip.

DVC - Animal Kingdom Lodge

International Drive 2002, All Star Movies 2005, Renaissance at Seaworld 2008, Rosen Plaza & POFQ 2010, Saratoga Springs Resort 2012, Hotel New York DLP 2013, Rosen Plaza and Old Key West 2014, AKL, BLT & SSR July 2015, Crowne Plaza NYC, AKL, Cabana Bay, AKL Nov 2017, Crowne Plaza NYC April 2018, Rosen Plaza, AKL and GFV August 2018, Australia Nov 2018, RCI Cruise August 2019, Rosen Plaza, Pop Century August 2022
Andi is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 18, 03:34 PM  
Link to this Post
annedawso
Apprentice Imagineer

We are going for first time this August with our 15year old son, though won't be going to see any sport.
I am planning that we will go to a main attraction of a morning to try and avoid crowds and then sightseeing.
Thinking along the lines of
Day 1 8am ESB, sightsee at Central Park, Chrysler and Flatiron building.
Day 2 8am One World observatory, sightsee Brooklyn Bridge , Boat trip.
Day 3 8AM TOTR, sightsee High Line
Day 4 SOL Crown 8am, sightsee whatever we haven't done.
Would imagine we will go back to hotel early afternoon for a break as it will be hot!
Have bought a NY Guide book which has been helpful, though need to do quite a bit more research. I like to have a plan.
Have been looking on google maps to decide walking distance.
Need to get my heads around the Subway system.

LBV Resort and Spa- 2009
Emerald Island Villa -2013
OKW -2014 YC -2015
Tenerife and cruise in Med 2016
Easter 2017. BCV 7 nights, 6 nights GFV. 3 Portofino Bay
August 2017. YC 14 nights. 4 days Portofino Bay
August 18 -5 nights NY, 11 nights PORFQ
August 2019 10 nights AKL 6 nights Universal
AUG 2020 CSR 15 nights?
annedawso is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 18, 08:04 AM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

We are going for 5 nights this August
Day 1 - SoL 9am, 9/11 Memorial & Museum, Subway to Brooklyn, Walk back over B/Bridge
Day 2 - ESB, HOHO bus up to The Met entrance of Central Park taking in Grand Central, NY Public Library, Chrysler and St Patricks Cathedral, wander Central Park, HOHO bus to Times Square
Day 3 - Greenwich Village for Friends Building, Walk the Highline as far as Chelsea Market, subway or Uber to Broadway, matinee show of Chicago, Top of the Rock in the evening
Day 4 - Left this fairly free so will do anything we have missed out on previous days, shopping in the likes of Bloomingdales, MACYs etc and lunch at Katz Deli (a must for my OH)
Have a great time

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 18, 08:15 AM  
Link to this Post
joyo17
Excited about Disney

joyo17's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Mobile

Thank you for all your suggestions. They have been so helpful.
This is what I've come up with so far...
Arrival day - Drop bags, pick up passes from Madam Tussauds & have a mooch around Times Sq, Broadway etc. Dinner at Shake Shack.
Sat - TOTR, Rockefeller Centre Tour, HoHo bus tour
Sun - Central Park, 1.05pm Yankees game. P.m ESB
Mon - 9.30-12.30 Brooklyn Bridge & Dumbo walking tour. Lunch @ Juliana's ? (RECOMMENDATIONS FOR AFTERNOON &/OR ALTERNATIVE RESTAURANTS PLEASE!) 7.30pm The Ride
Tues - SOL & Ellis Island, 9/11 memorial & museum, Bull & Girl statues. C21
Wed - Coney Island, Pm Harbour Lights cruise.
Thurs - School of Rock Rush tickets (hopefully!), Shopping, 12.50 China Town food tour, NFL experience, more shopping?
Friday last day - Central Park & last minute shopping.

Lots & lots I have missed out. Thoughts & suggestions on how I can shoehorn the most into our stay & good places to eat near by gratefully received!

Thanks.
Jo
joyo17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 18, 09:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Toryn
Imagineer

One of the best things we did was the hop on hop off bus .We booked 3 days which meant up town down town Brooklyn Nd the night time Brooklyn bridge .Unlimited rides open top .Also it came with 3 attractions of your choice .Very good value for money .We went with gray line booked here on line and a lot cheaper
Toryn is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List