Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 4 Aug 20, 06:02 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

Originally Posted by meegraine View Post
We have all been in lockdown so long and all the news is negative its just nice to think and talk about some positivity even if its just a holiday! Thats my view point on it anyway
as you said in your opening post :

Negative welcome but please don't bash anyone who is hopeful for their trip

Originally Posted by jaff View Post
Some of us can still live in hope
I don't think I have bashed anyone, or denied them the right to be positive and have hope.

When asked if I'm hopeful, and when the OP explicitely says "negative welcome" ... I guess I should not be called out for answering that I'm not hopeful for any trip before first quarter of '21

OP said no bashing for those who are hopeful, I guess it should also have mentionned "no bashing towards those who are not"
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 20, 06:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Redsnapper
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jaff View Post
Replying to your previous comment. Your comment is merely your thoughts and is not solid proof. We can all say this and that but end of day its down to the big fella to decide.

Some of us can still live in hope
Its also down to our "big fella" - and there isnt a chance he will alter the FCO advice by Sept given the numbers - using Spain as a comparison, doubtful the USA will have numbers that low much before Dec.
Old 4 Aug 20, 06:39 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBrown
Very Serious Dibber

I was hopefully for October until a week or so ago. I'm now out. Helped along the way by BA cancelling flights to Gatwick. Even if borders opened, I wouldn't be in a position to quarantine for 2 weeks on return and after the government changing guidance for Spain at such short notice don't think I'd risk it. Kids would also have to miss 2 weeks off school if quarantine was a requirement, which wouldn't be an option for us with them already missing so much (secondary school age).
MrsBrown is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 20, 09:20 PM  
Link to this Post
meegraine
Serious Dibber

meegraine's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by MrsBrown View Post
I was hopefully for October until a week or so ago. I'm now out. Helped along the way by BA cancelling flights to Gatwick. Even if borders opened, I wouldn't be in a position to quarantine for 2 weeks on return and after the government changing guidance for Spain at such short notice don't think I'd risk it. Kids would also have to miss 2 weeks off school if quarantine was a requirement, which wouldn't be an option for us with them already missing so much (secondary school age).
I understand what you mean, I booked my trip back in April 2020 and then in August 2020 got a job in a school, thankfully my employer has let me know that as my trip was booked prior to covid then if it goes ahead and I have to quarantine when I return then so be it (it'll be paid thankfully!)

BA haven't cancelled our flights yet but I feel like they more than likely will be cancelled but you just don't know! Things are changing so quickly and Florida has come down over 2,000 cases in just 24 hours everything is in the hands of BA, UK government and Trump

Next Trip: Canary Islands June, 2023
meegraine is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 20, 09:24 PM  
Link to this Post
meegraine
Serious Dibber

meegraine's Reviews
Originally Posted by chmurf View Post
as you said in your opening post :

I don't think I have bashed anyone, or denied them the right to be positive and have hope.

When asked if I'm hopeful, and when the OP explicitely says "negative welcome" ... I guess I should not be called out for answering that I'm not hopeful for any trip before first quarter of '21

OP said no bashing for those who are hopeful, I guess it should also have mentioned "no bashing towards those who are not"

I didn't meant to come across negative towards you and I do apologise if I did! It was more a case of I am aware that at the moment everything about this holiday is in the hands of BA, UK Government and the orange man himself but I also understand that this virus changes so quickly and with Florida dropping over 2,000 cases in 24 hours then that just gives a little bit of hope. I know in my heart that this trip more than likely won't go ahead but I just want to live in a little bubble until I'm told its not going ahead and let myself get excited for a minute about going to my happy place

The world is so bad right now that I think we all need to just have a moment of happiness

meegraine is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 20, 11:46 PM  
Link to this Post
irnman
Proud to wear my Ears

Threw in the towel today Disney staff couldn't have been any more helpful, quick and painless on the refund front.
Hoping to go next year.
Expedia on the other hand are being an absolute nightmare to deal with regarding flight refunds and to top it off we were due to fly with Virgin
Disney Tokyo 2020
irnman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 20, 07:40 AM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

I know in my heart that this trip more than likely won't go ahead but I just want to live in a little bubble until I'm told its not going ahead and let myself get excited for a minute about going to my happy place
I can relate

as a matter of fact, this afternoon, I was supposed to drive up to Geneva, spend 3 nights there (to celebrate my wife's birthday), before flying to Tampa on saturday for 3 weeks in Florida ... we had booked that flight back in september 2019 and very much anticipated that trip

Even though I secretly hoped, I was realistic, starting in april, that this trip was a write off.
The "hope" was kept alive by not cancelling anything before our flight was cancelled (it was, 35 days ago, still waiting refund by expedia), even though I knew the trip was not going ahead (that was made "easier" as I had no penalty for cancelling any of our bookings)

my advice would be to go for "plan B" for the weeks you were supposed to be in the US. Maybe you already did. Because living in that bubble is somewhat comforting (I've been there, I'm not gonna lie) but having something to plan and look forward to is also satisfying.

Like many who've seen their holiday cancelled, I'm now entering the phase of "at this moment, I should have finished double checking the bags", "at this moment, I should have been loading the car" ... and I know I'll be "right now, we should have been walking down the jetway" ... I'm just sharing that point of view (that is only my own) : If tomorrow is not happening, what can I make of today.

Edited at 07:41 AM.
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 20, 10:34 AM  
Link to this Post
meegraine
Serious Dibber

meegraine's Reviews
Originally Posted by chmurf View Post
my advice would be to go for "plan B" for the weeks you were supposed to be in the US. Maybe you already did. Because living in that bubble is somewhat comforting (I've been there, I'm not gonna lie) but having something to plan and look forward to is also satisfying.

Like many who've seen their holiday cancelled, I'm now entering the phase of "at this moment, I should have finished double checking the bags", "at this moment, I should have been loading the car" ... and I know I'll be "right now, we should have been walking down the jetway" ... I'm just sharing that point of view (that is only my own) : If tomorrow is not happening, what can I make of today.
We were thinking about a plan B as I now work in a school and they reluctantly gave me the time off for this trip I don't think they'll allow me to change the destination but we have looked at doing a staycation with some family members in the October half term and we've booked a week in Anaheim in February 2021 and we've booked 2 weeks in Disney World in July 2021 so if all else fails we'll hopefully be going away to Disneyland CA in 191 days with the trip to WDW then 163 days behind that

Thats the bit I'm dreading I'm really not looking forward to knowing that this is the day we should be going to the Hilton or thats the day we should be at Epcot! It really sucks that 'Rona had to happen and we haven't yet been able to contain it. I just wish it would suddenly disappear like SARs did!

Old 5 Aug 20, 10:38 AM  
Link to this Post
meegraine
Serious Dibber

meegraine's Reviews
Originally Posted by irnman View Post
Threw in the towel today Disney staff couldn't have been any more helpful, quick and painless on the refund front.
Hoping to go next year.
Expedia on the other hand are being an absolute nightmare to deal with regarding flight refunds and to top it off we were due to fly with Virgin
I'm sorry to hear that

We're waiting on BA to cancel our flights which could happen any time now until the day of the flight so who knows whats gonna happen there! There could be a miracle in that time but more than likely not. We've already booked direct with Disney for next summer as rooms and hotels are slim pickings with so many resorts closed, although we did find a deal for the easter break staying at the Swan which worked out cheaper than July so we might consider doing that instead of our Feb & July trips.

Good luck with Expedia and hopefully you get your refund sooner rather than later!

Old 5 Aug 20, 10:48 AM  
Link to this Post
rayraygreen
Excited about Disney

We moved our September holiday as we just didn’t think it was going to happen. We moved it to February and I’m starting to worry about that too. I really, really hope people can start going again soon. I think we’ll all be so pleased when the first Dibbers take off!
Hollywood Studios CM - 2013
Epcot UK Pavilion CM - 2017-2018
rayraygreen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List