Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 Oct 20, 10:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

Originally Posted by lizzie145 View Post
Do you not have a back door you could use?

From a safety view it is not good to have to unlock a door in case of an emergency
All our doors are locked, we’d have to unlock a door in any emergency as I wouldn’t leave any door unlocked. If there was a genuine emergency I’d put a window through, or could easily get out the kitchen window if that was free.

But I would never leave a door unlocked if the people inside are asleep.
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪

Edited at 10:40 AM.
Scaramouche is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 20, 10:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Yes!
Years ago.
We walked home from a pushchair snooze with a piping hot takeaway, popped it on the counter, OH called me outside to help him collapse the new pushchair and DS toddled to the door and closed us out 😱
I was frantic and wanted to smash a window because the keys were right by the carrier bag full of hot liquidy curry and I didn’t want it falling on and burning DS if he got the keys for us.
OH kept saying ‘can you get the keys for daddy’ and he kept toddling off down the hall chanting
‘I get the keys, I get the keys’
but he didn’t!
Eventually a neighbour came with half a pool cue which he managed to shove through the letter box and knock the latch up.
It made me realise it would be quite easy to break in if you knew how!
We have a proper lock too but it was obviously just the Yale lock that was the issue for us.

Edited at 10:56 AM.
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 20, 10:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Dayle
Imagineer

First time I took DD out in her pram on my own. So busy making sure she was ok left the house keys on the window sill and shut the door behind me, one of those that locks when you shut it. Ex was at work and didn’t drive parents only round the corner (with spare key) but had gone out so ended up for 2 hours at a friends house ( who enjoyed lots of cuddles with tiny DD) till parents got home.
Dayle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 20, 11:34 AM  
Link to this Post
stecee
Imagineer

Yes and no. My routine when I got up was to take the dog for a walk to the newsagent to pick up a paper. I always left through the back door, locking it with the key as I left.
This particular day I returned home and as per usual, went to get the backdoor key out of my pocket as I reached the gate to the drive, it wasn’t there. I searched every pocket and no, I must have lost it.
I retraced my steps back to the shop in case I had dropped it and even asked in the newsagent if anyone had found a key.
I returned home knowing that the only solution was to phone my wife at work and for her to drive home to let me in, which she wouldn’t have been happy about.
I thought I would try the door just in case, even though I knew i had locked it and there in the lock was the key!
'Oct 97 Days inn main gate west, June '02 Days inn main gate west, Dec '05 All star movie resort, Aug '07 Caribbean Beach Resort, Sept '09 Port Orleans Riverside, Oct'10 Tour then villa at Highgate, May '12 Emerald Island villa. Oct '14 The Keys then SSR.
stecee is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 20, 11:42 AM  
Link to this Post
lindylou46
slightly serious Dibber

Yes, which is why my trusted neighbour has a spare set.
lindylou46 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 20, 11:45 AM  
Link to this Post
tigerfee
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Yes, came back from holiday, couldn't find the car keys to collect the car from the airport. The house keys were inside the car.
Had to take a taxi to my parents and spend the night there. Next day we got a locksmith out to the house. Retrieved spare car keys from the house and collected the car. Car keys were left in a Budapest hotel 😂 they posted them out to us. Was very stressful as I was really unwell at the time too.
tigerfee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 20, 11:59 AM  
Link to this Post

Twice, the first time was many years ago, I came out of the house with my husband and he locked the door with his key, when I came home from work I realised I hadn't picked mine up, it was either a two mile walk to my sister or a four mile to my mother, my sister won that particular lottery.

The second time was when I moved into this building, there's fob to get into the main building and then a key to my apartment. I'd shot out earlier for a taxi without making all my usual checks.

When I got back no way of getting in, I was just about to buzz a neighbour when one of the other neighbours came out, thank god I'd had the foresight to have a key safe fitted so got into the apartment no probs.

It's a horrible thing to have happen ...

Getting my daughter out of work would have been a nightmare.

Edited at 12:07 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 20, 12:02 PM  
Link to this Post
OutbackAddict
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Scaramouche View Post
All our doors are locked, we’d have to unlock a door in any emergency as I wouldn’t leave any door unlocked. If there was a genuine emergency I’d put a window through, or could easily get out the kitchen window if that was free.

But I would never leave a door unlocked if the people inside are asleep.
Speaking as someone whose house caught fire this is extremely dangerous especially in a modern house, double glazing is not as easy as you might think to break also as long as the 'latch' is pulled up you are secure but trying to find some keys amid a dark smoke filled house could literally be the difference between life and death

Paul
OutbackAddict is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 20, 12:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridadreams
Imagineer

Mobile

I was locked out by my three year old son - me outside and him inside! I got home and a neighbour was in their garden. I’d opened the door as I was unloading the boot and ended up with the front door open and my keys in my hand. I sat on the wall having a chat with the neighbour and my son took the keys from next to me, ran in the house and slammed the door behind him!
He thought it was hilarious! Kept running into the playroom to laugh at me! I eventually managed to convince him to post the keys through the letterbox - literally the longest 15 minutes of my life!
Floridadreams is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 20, 12:57 PM  
Link to this Post
JoJo88
VIP Dibber

Not locked out, but I did get locked in a bedroom once! The bar that goes between the two handles had slipped meaning I couldn’t open the door. It was my son’s bedroom, who was about 9 months old at the time. Luckily we lived near a school, so I was able to call out of the window, and the janitor came round, managed to put his hand through the cat flap in the back door to get the key (highlighting how careless it was to have the key in the door!), let himself in and let us both out.

DH sorted it and assured me it wouldn’t happen again. Yeah right. A few months later, he toddled off to play squash, I was putting DS to bed, same thing happened. Only this time DS wanted me out of his room, and was getting quite cross that I was there, so I had to position myself at the end of his cot where he couldn’t see me, and hide for an hour or so until DH got home again.

Oh how I laughed!
JoJo88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List