Old 7 Oct 10, 11:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Cyclospora
Imagineer

Cyclospora's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
From NY to LA - Day 16 - San Diego Trolley Tour

12th September

Last night we checked with hotel reception to see where the best place to park for the trolley bus was. Luckily - they pick up from hotels on Shelter and Harbour Island twice in the morning and there is a trip back at 4ish.

We caught the shuttle trolley at about 9 and as we were the only ones on the bus for a while, we had a good chat with the driver. He worked for Callaway golf for years and toured around the major courses. He had played at the Celtic Manor, knew some of the courses in North Wales and he loved Bettws y "Co-ed"! He was annoyed with Tiger Woods but liked Prince Andrew and was looking forward to watching the Ryder Cup! He knew loads about British history too including the history of the Royal family! The journey to Harbour Island was only about 15-15 mins and he told us all this as well as facts about San Diego in this time!

We were dropped off at Seaport Village and had about 15 mins to wait for the next bus. We went for breakfast (bagels) and had a look around the little shops.

We had a plan of where to stop but the main mission was to look for an album to keep the quarters in! lol DH had collected loads and thought he only had a few more to collect. So we were going to stop at the mall to look for a book shop.

We caught the bus (passed the bar from Top Gun) and got off at Horton Plaza. The only book shop there gave DH directions to Borders so DH and DS went off and DD and I had a nose around Macys.

Met them later - they didn't find the shop.

We caught the bus again and got off in the Gas Lamp Quarter - although if we'd realised it was so close we could have walked it. We found a map of shops and restaurants here and eventually came across Borders. They had loads of different types of albums including the ones for the new State park coins. It was then he realised that there were 6 other coins as well as the states! Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico and District of Columbia. Luckily he had some of those but still had 10 to go.

We celebrated with a Girardhelli Sundae, a Nob Hill Chill, a Strawberry milkshake and a vanilla icecream and a free sample of their spicy caramel Halloween choccy! Girardhelli's in background.

We went to the bus stop and there was a little street market around the corner - the smell of the food cooking was amazing.

We caught the bus and were lucky to have the last seats.

There was a baseball game going on so there was a slight detour by the Petco Park but we were able to see it. San Diego Padres were playing the NY Giants.

We could hardly hear the driver because of a gang of screeching women in the back seats - especially when we were going over Coronado Bridge!

We loved it here! We got off at the Hotel Del Coronado and went down to the beach

DD and I went for a paddle in the freezing Pacific!

DH and DS just waited.

DS was feeling a bit grotty so we went into ther hotel and bought a bottle for water for hom from a shop - $4.50! The "Water $1" people in NY and LV would have made a fortune here!

At the front of the hotel was this tree which had a plaque saying it was the first ever tree to have lights on it
at Christmas!

We went inside the reception and saw the crown rooms which had ceilings with no nails apparently. They also had waiters handing out iced lemonade to guests milling around in the lobby. Lovely! Coronado had a great small town feel and would be a lovely place to stay. We wished we had longer here. We picked up the bus - again lucky to get on as they ended up radioing for another bus. The route was across the bridge again and then up to Balboa Park. There was lots going on here. Stalls, exhibitions, people having picnics and also an organ recital on an outdoor organ!

When we got to Old Town we realised that we didn't have time to get off and have a look around because we would have missed the shuttle back to the hotel. In hindsight - we could have got a taxi back. Also - my camera battery ran out

We went back to Seaport Village and also wished we had more time here too as live bands were playing and people were just sitting out in the sun enjoying the music.

We caught the shuttle bus and sat in the back and realised why the women were screeching earlier in the day! We were blown to bits with the wind! You couldn't see DDs and my face - nor DSs for that matter as his hair is a bit (too) long! It was really funny and DH filmed it.

We went passed the ships in the harbour - wishing we had time to see the Midway and headed back to our hotel.

DH put his coins in the album(! ) and then he and DS went to the pool, I had a kip and DD caught up with her mates on Facebook.

We walked to Fiddlers Green Restaurant for a meal - and while it was very good, they forgot my starter (mushrooms) and ended up bringing the mains out while the others were still eating their starters and I had my starter when I was half way through my main course! It was ok though as it was mushrooms in a wine sauce - and I had steak for a main!

Wandered back to the hotel for an early night as we had a busy day planned!

May tomorrow be a perfect day - may you find love and laughter along the way...

Edited at 11:31 PM.
Cyclospora is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 10, 06:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Love Coronado too! I seriously want to live there but I would need to win the lottery. My husband and I have friends who own two homes on Coronado that they rent out. I'm hoping they will just give one to us when they get tired of the upkeep, lol.

Your hubby looks so cute all engrossed there with the state quarters album. That's a very cool album, btw! I want one now as I have so many state quarters laying around the house.

Looks like you all had a great day!

Planning a trip to San Diego? Check out my San Diego planning guide at the link below:

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1047941
Aims is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 10, 10:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Cyclospora
Imagineer

Cyclospora's Reviews
That pic of DH makes me laugh. He's a 6ft 1 squash playing ex-rugby player and if his mates could see this they would be hysterical! He looks so geeky! I dread to think what they would say if they knew he had a stamp collection too

Cyclospora is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 10, 07:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Cyclospora View Post
That pic of DH makes me laugh. He's a 6ft 1 squash playing ex-rugby player and if his mates could see this they would be hysterical! He looks so geeky! I dread to think what they would say if they knew he had a stamp collection too
LOL Good caption for that pic: Secret Lives of Ex-Rugby Players Exposed!

Planning a trip to San Diego? Check out my San Diego planning guide at the link below:

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1047941
Aims is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 10, 12:30 AM  
Link to this Post
tracy99
Imagineer

absolutely loving reading your trip report
i am also loving the album,this is something,my grandaughter,would love to collect.do you get all different states,in your change,as i have never noticed before?
tracy
Old 9 Oct 10, 12:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Cyclospora
Imagineer

Cyclospora's Reviews
Originally Posted by tracy99 View Post
absolutely loving reading your trip report
i am also loving the album,this is something,my grandaughter,would love to collect.do you get all different states,in your change,as i have never noticed before?
tracy
Thanks Tracy Just 3 more days to go - Anaheim!

Yes - you get allsorts in your change. I hadn't noticed either until I read about it on the Dibb a few months ago - and we've been to the States 8 times!

Old 11 Oct 10, 03:00 PM  
Link to this Post
tracy99
Imagineer

thanks,kiera will love this.hope we can pick up an album,in new york,next week.
tracy
Old 12 Oct 10, 01:41 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandosgr8
Imagineer

orlandosgr8's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Great photos, that hotel on the beach looks wonderful.

Orlando 02,04,06,07,08,10,11,12,13,14,16, 18 &
New York 06, 11 and Smoky Mountains 14
orlandosgr8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 10, 08:53 PM  
Link to this Post
fastboysam
Trainee Dibber

Very knowledgeable bus driver and the discovery of the laughter due to the wind at the bcak later that day hahahaha

Absolutely love that state quarters album of your hubby's a great gift idea for my DS
Old 29 Jan 11, 10:48 PM  
Link to this Post
disney owl
Imagineer

disney owl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Didn't realise you could get an album to put the quarters in. Thanks for the info
June 2001, August 2003,2007 &Sept 2010 - WDW Offsite
June 2005 - DLP Davy Crockett Ranch
disney owl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List