Notices
Christmas Temporary forum for Christmas seasonal topics

Old 21 Nov 20, 02:37 PM  
Link to this Post
TinkerBabe
Apprentice Imagineer

First Real Christmas Tree-Recommendations?

Afternoon Dibbers
Considering a real Christmas tree this year for the first time. Any recommendations of where to buy for decent quality at a reasonable price? Have been recommended Aldi? Hoping to get it next weekend, I gather they last about 5 weeks which suits perfectly as I like to take it down on 1st Jan.

Edited at 02:38 PM.
TinkerBabe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 20, 02:44 PM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
If money isn't an issue I'd go to a local grower, Google ones near you. They are more expensive but you get to pick a stunning one then get it cut. They are more costly but will last much longer. Aldi trees are pre bagged so you can't look at the shape and are often cut weeks ago. I always buy a nordman better for needle drop than a spruce and prefer the look. I have bought two fantastic real trees from b&q as I couldn't get to the grower to get one. One hardly dropped a needle and you can see before they get netted. Ours doesn't go up much before the 10th -15th as this is a warm house with the heating pelting out in the lounge and it would resemble a twig on the day if put up too early.

Edited at 02:46 PM.
soooexcited! is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 20, 03:26 PM  
Link to this Post
gl20
Apprentice Imagineer

Coincidentally, we’re just back from picking our trees from local grower (Normally take two). They have some pre-cut but we go out into the field to tag ours and they’ll cut them when we’re ready to collect which will be two weeks before Xmas. Even when we take them down on the 5th Jan they’re normally still guzzling water and fresh.

From just an hour ago..

gl20 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 20, 03:33 PM  
Link to this Post
olgaandcoda
Imagineer

olgaandcoda's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Last two years have been from B&Q. Lovely trees and reasonable prices.
Old 21 Nov 20, 04:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Welsh_Dragon
Proud to wear my Ears

scottishchristmastrees
have the most beautiful Christmas trees, which are delivered to your door. The Fraser Fir smells gorgeous , doesn’t drop its needles and lasts a long time.
Welsh_Dragon is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 20, 04:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa123wm
Imagineer

We go to a local farm and get a Nordmann Fir every year.
Aug/Sept 09, Jan/Feb 10 - DLP, Aug 13 - NPBC DLP
Lisa123wm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 20, 06:04 PM  
Link to this Post
captain-codeye
Imagineer

captain-codeye's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by gl20 View Post
Coincidentally, we’re just back from picking our trees from local grower (Normally take two). They have some pre-cut but we go out into the field to tag ours and they’ll cut them when we’re ready to collect which will be two weeks before Xmas. Even when we take them down on the 5th Jan they’re normally still guzzling water and fresh.

From just an hour ago..

This is the correct way👍

Visit bctga/ and find your local grower.

An amendment to the law last night has allowed the retail of real Christmas trees to continue!

Thanks for choosing a real tree direct from the grower.
captain-codeye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 20, 08:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Pookie3101
Imagineer

Pookie3101's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Mobile

Not much help to you but my local greengrocer sells amazing Christmas Trees. He pretty much gives them away as they are all just £20! It’s his thank you to his customers.
We had one last year that didn’t drop any needles and lasted 6 weeks. We bought this years tree today and it’s a great shape and I’m really pleased with it.

DLP NBC - 2008, DLP SL- 2009, DLP SL, 2010.
AKL - 2014, POR - 2016
Pookie3101 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 20, 09:15 PM  
Link to this Post
ali-s
VIP Dibber

We always get ours from a local grower. I want to see the shape of it and most from supermarkets/ B&Q etc are already wrapped in netting.
Mexico 2010, Easter in Mexico Trip Index
ESD Pointe Orlando, Palm Pavilion Clearwater, RPR August 2012
Costa Rica July 2015 Pura Vida! trip report
South Africa 2017 trip report
ali-s is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 20, 10:53 PM  
Link to this Post
gl20
Apprentice Imagineer

OP - just one other thing to add if it's your first time with a real tree. Assuming you're having the routes removed and sat in water, then have some diagonal lines cut into the bark in a lattice pattern around the base, extending about 15 cm up the sides. It will help it to keep drinking. As above, we find the trees will (normally) still be drinking at the point we take them down (about 4 weeks after they've been cut) with hardly any needle drop.
gl20 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List