Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 4 Mar 13, 01:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Gemsie0812
Very Serious Dibber

Gemsie0812's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Yosemite to Vegas

Hi Guys,

I am leaving for the wedding trip of a life time in 3 weeks and was wondering if you could advise the best route to take when driving from Yosemite to Vegas.

We would like to take the route through death valley - however we have heard roads/routes might be closed off due to bad weather in April? Can anyone recommend a good route with nice views that will be our best bet?

Thanks

Gem :-)
Gemsie0812 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Mar 13, 10:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Go^uk
Earning My Ears

Sierra Nevada crossings...

The Yosemite to Vegas drive is spectacular... But is very weather dependent. You need to drive out of Yosemite on the Tioga Pass road, which will most likely be closed in April.

nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tiogaopen.htm Shows a list of the road closing/opening dates.

I fell victim to the road not being open a few years back. The 'detour' I had to take involved over 11 hours behind the wheel.

I'd still do the trip though... Just plan a nights stop on route. Yosemite's waterfalls are at their best during the thaw in spring. You will leave by the parks south entrance and head towards Bakersfield on the 99. This route allows you to see Kings Canyon and national forests. Overnight on route and then out via the 395 into death valley.

G.

Edited at 10:12 AM.
Go^uk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 13, 04:51 PM  
Link to this Post
vitfa
Imagineer

Hey for our honeymoon we took the trip from Vegas to Bishop ( via death valley) to stay overnight then onto Yosemite via tioga pass - was beautiful but I would say take the safest option depending on weather L x
Old 20 Mar 13, 09:53 PM  
Link to this Post
shack69
Imagineer

I hate to say this but the pass will be closed when you go so your best option is to head to fresno then down to Barstow before headin east to vegas. This is roughtly a 500 mile journey, nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/driving.htm
shack69 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 13, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post
AndyJ
Imagineer

AndyJ's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 16
Thank heavens I saw this post!

As we were planning on heading east out of Yosemiti on the 12th of May...

...I don't like the odds. Hotels changed, route changed.

Thanks all!
AndyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 13, 03:07 PM  
Link to this Post

Tioga Pass is normally open late April to September:

nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tiogaopen.htm
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 13, 03:45 PM  
Link to this Post
AndyJ
Imagineer

AndyJ's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
That link states late May to early June?

As its a small amount of money to gamble, I think we will keep reservations in Beatty (east route) and Bakersfield (south route) and see what happens at the time.

Both have a 24 hour cancel policy so it should work out.

Edited at 09:20 PM.
AndyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 13, 09:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
I've known the Tioga Pass to be closed on 4th July! There is a southern entrance to Yosemite but I've never used it, we did SF to Yosemite and then through to Bishop for a night. From there we drove through Death Valley to Vegas. Furnace Creek Ranch in Death Valley is worth a stay if you get the chance. Pussycat
Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 13, 09:20 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by AndyJ View Post
That link states late May to early June?

As its a small amount of money to gamble, I think we will keep reservations in Beatty (east route) and Bakersfield (south route) and see what happens at the time.

Both have a 24 hour cancel policy so it should work out.
It also states Early May to November. It's all dependent on weather so you can never predict exactly. Normallly they start bulldozing snow from mid April.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 13, 10:14 PM  
Link to this Post
AndyJ
Imagineer

AndyJ's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Thanks all. I guess we will see what's what near the time.
Closed Thread