Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 12 Sep 16, 09:30 AM  
Link to this Post

Planning first trip - advice please!

Hi, this will be our first trip 2 adults and 2 children (4&6). The only way we can possibly afford it is to take my eldest out of school and I am looking at March 17. Is this a good time to go? I have a price with Disney online staying at Caribbean Beach resort flying from LGW direct for £5020 (14 nights). I priced up flights separately and got this down to £4780 which includes tickets and the QSDP. Q - is this hotel a good one and suitable for children? Anything cheaper and I will miss out on the dining plan... Will I benefit from going to a travel agent to get this any cheaper and who would you recommend? I would be really grateful for advice / suggestions! It is SOOO daunting!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 16, 09:39 AM  
Link to this Post
aydeepee
VIP Dibber

aydeepee's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 11

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 7
If I had the choice - I would wait and book the last two weeks of the long summer hol (late Aug/Early Sept) - arriving back the weekend before they go back to school

We have been at Easter/Spring Break before and found it insanely busy

Crowd levels drop late Aug as the US kids go back to school. You will get greater value out of the trip at that time imho

1993 - I-Drive & Clearwater / 1996 - I-Drive / 2006 - DLP / 2007 - I-Drive / 2008 - I-Drive & RPR / 2009 - I-Drive & RPR (again!) / 2011 - RPR / 2013 - RPR & Beach Club Resort / 2014 - RPR & Beach Club Resort / 2016 - RPR & Beach Club...again (Greatest Hits Tour!) / Sept 2019 - Silver Wedding Anniversary - Capes and Parks Tour / Sept 2022 - Cape, Beach & Parks + IAN! / Sept 2024 - hoping to avoid Ian v2 *
aydeepee is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 16, 11:30 AM  
Link to this Post

Thanks for this - hadn't factored in Spring break. I was looking at more comfortable day time temperatures for little ones and March sounded ideal - though not if it is crazy busy!
Old 12 Sep 16, 12:22 PM  
Link to this Post
WeluvDisney2016
Excited about Disney

What about early November (after half term) - its nice weather, still warm enough for shorts and tees and its not too expensive compared to summer hols. We've always been at this time of year and will be again this year with DD 3 and DS 5. Plus the Christmas decorations will be out! Just make sure your not there for Thanksgiving - crazy busy
WeluvDisney2016 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 16, 12:37 PM  
Link to this Post
johnscone
Gone all Goofy

johnscone's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
We have found September and October are the quietest times. We usually go in October because our kids have half term so it only means pulling them out of school for a week.

I think the American school holidays has a much bigger effect on visitor numbers rather than us brits.

We prefer October because it only means pulling the kids out of school for a week (half term week being the other) and the weather is still lovely without being too hot for the babies.
johnscone is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 16, 01:06 PM  
Link to this Post
emsparkles
VIP Dibber

emsparkles's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I agree that its better to look at the american school holidays to see when it will be heavy crowds.
March 17th will be very very busy and for a first time trip (and unless your a Disney planning expert) its has the potential to be difficult.

Booking Direct with Disney for your resort and tickets package I find gets you the best price! Then have a look at booking flights/car hire separate. If you dont want to rent a car then booking Direct with Disney gets you magical express access. We have booked with virgin holidays before and got a full package with them but I do find them more expensive these days. Also if you have any issues regarding your booking your dealing with Disney directly not through a travel agent. Disney pretty much wont be able to help if you book through someone, you will always have to go through your agent (which can be very hit and miss)

Kids will love the CBR.. its a lovely bright colourful resort! To be fair every resort is suitable for children, it is in Disney world after all! Its an ideal resort for a first time visit.
Some resorts just have slightly more 'adult' theming than others, but they tend to be your deluxe resorts.
Also if your considering perhaps having some table service meals its could be worth looking to upgrade to the regular DDP. It means you can then book some character meals and things, and its a great 'break' from the hustle and bustle of the QS outlets!

DVC Member: Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort
Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort- August 2001 February 2024
Disney's Yacht & Beach Club Resort- March 2020, October 2018 & 2023
Disney's Boardwalk Inn & Villas - February/March 2017 & 2016
Disney's Coronando Springs Resort - June 2013
Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort - May 2012 & March 2022
Disney's Grand Floridian Resort - April 1995 & 1998
emsparkles is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 16, 01:34 PM  
Link to this Post

Thank you all very much for your advice! Really helpful. I have a lot to think about. October will be a consideration now, with half term factored in.
Old 12 Sep 16, 05:15 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by WeluvDisney2016 View Post
What about early November (after half term) - its nice weather, still warm enough for shorts and tees and its not too expensive compared to summer hols. We've always been at this time of year and will be again this year with DD 3 and DS 5. Plus the Christmas decorations will be out! Just make sure your not there for Thanksgiving - crazy busy
I agree.
In 2013 we went October half-term plus took kids out of school for an additional week into Nov. It was a great 2 weeks, traffic was good, parks not too busy (and the supermarkets quiet, as pointed out by my hubby). The temperatures were very good, too.

We then did easter 2015 for 2 weeks and we found the difference in park numbers/traffic /queues was huge.
So we're going in half-term again this time.
Old 13 Sep 16, 09:56 PM  
Link to this Post

Can I ask what is a reasonable price for this period? I popped into Thomson today and they quoted me £6.5k for 14th-29th October 17 which takes in half term. That works out to approx £3250 on their flights. They don't have prices for the 1st week of Nov yet...
Old 13 Sep 16, 11:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Gillybean08
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Mobile

We have booked Oct half term next year with first week of November. So many people recommended this time of year and we are hoping to see Halloween decorations and attend the first xmas party at Disney. They decorate MK early for the partys so you should get to see these at least in early November. For a family of four direct with Disney (came out cheapest) we paid approx £4400 for 14 nights at WL and after tracking flight prices for this Oct/Nov I am budgeting £2200 for flights direct. I think CBR for our dates was approx £1970 plus tickets and £380ish for upgrade to table service dining plan. This is a great idea as you can do Character meals but takes a bit more planning (which I am loving). Have fun deciding I would definitely go direct with disney if you can, as others have said, they are generally more flexible if you need to amnend your booking
Gillybean08 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread