Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 20 Sep 19, 08:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Bessie
Apprentice Imagineer

My partner has worked as a a qualified electrician since he left school ( after serving his time of course) but at 52 he's hung up the tools & is now a curriculum leader/lecturer at a local college. They were looking for someone with experience of the electrical trade as it's better to then have that person go through their teaching qualifications & that is exactly what he is doing, having just gained his first qualification.

The pay is slightly more, but being salaried, there is no potential for overtime payments (he hated doing overtime anyway & would refuse lol) & he gets 10 weeks holiday a year, plus a good pension to add to his private pension.

It's still early days, having only started in January 2019 & it still finding his feet
Star Island & Westgate Lakes 2 wks Sept 98, Blue Tree Resort 3 wks Sept 99, Blue Tree Resort 3 wks Sept 00, Blue Tree Resort & AMI 3 wks Sept 01, DLP Aug 02, Venetian Bay Villages 2 wks Aug 08, Bella Piazza 2 wks Aug 11 Windsor Hills 3 wks Aug 12, Windsor Hills 2 wks Oct 15 Paradise Palms 2 wks June 2017
Bessie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 20, 04:08 PM  
Link to this Post
twogoto
Imagineer

Originally Posted by twogoto View Post
Earlier this year I had a complete overhaul after leaving my own retail business, and somehow fell into teaching English online to Chinese students, with no prior experience!

It's something I never imagined myself doing before but now, I only wish I'd found it earlier. I absolutely love working from home with complete flexibility, and a better hourly rate than I've ever had before. Wearing my PJs to work is the best haha - and I get to dibb in my breaks

It was a bit scary having such a drastic change but after a few months I'm settled and so happy I made the decision. I think if it's in your head you want to jump ship to something else, it's hard to ignore it and carry on as normal.

PS - If anyone here who has commented that they're looking for something new wants some more info, please just DM me and I'd be happy to give you more info. Noticed some of you said you were teaching previously
For those of you who were interested previously, I'm now working for another company teaching Chinese students and this one does NOT require a degree. Pay is competitive and again you can set your own hours and work when you want - let me know if you'd like any more info, I'd be happy to help.
Sept 21 TwoGoTo Aiya Napa - Amarande Hotel
Nov 21 TwoGoTo New York - The James New York Nomad
Mar 22 TwoGoTo Orlando - Cabana Bay
Sept 22 TwoGoTo Orlando - Sapphire Falls
Nov 22 TwoGoTo Rome - 9Hotel Cesari
July 23 TwoGoTo Kos - Mitsis Summer Palace
Sept 23 TwoGoTo Orlando - Sapphire Falls
twogoto is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 20, 05:13 PM  
Link to this Post
cybermum
Imagineer

cybermum's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4
Originally Posted by twogoto View Post
For those of you who were interested previously, I'm now working for another company teaching Chinese students and this one does NOT require a degree. Pay is competitive and again you can set your own hours and work when you want - let me know if you'd like any more info, I'd be happy to help.
Is this similar to the Vipkid company ? Our eldest son remote works and was looking into it but they wanted USA citizens only .
cybermum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 20, 05:52 PM  
Link to this Post

I worked in various Finance roles covering Sales and Purchase ledgers, Credit Control since I left uni in 1992. I left my last job in this role in May 2018 - worked in local govmt for 9 years, had been ill and off work for 7 months and when I returned I realised I didn't like it (the people in the team/department) so I left, work 1 week notice and took the rest as owed annual leave. Enjoyed 18 months of family time - then husband was made redundant in Oct 19. I applied for loads of accounts jobs, nothing suited me - too many hours, too far away etc.

I decided that I didn't want to do that anymore so applied for school office job, got offered part time job at my 2nd time of interviewing at a school. Love it, it is so different to what I was doing, school hours and term time only.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 20, 06:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Pieces
Imagineer

Pieces's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Mobile

Yes!
Long story short, I’ve worked in retail and then an office for the last 14 years. I’ve always wanted to be a barber, I’ve been looking at courses for the last couple of years and have finally booked myself onto one for next month!

Although, yesterday I went for a an interview in an office, it went incredibly well and they have offered me quite an exciting role, but I still want to do my barbering course and see where I go from there! I’m 36 now and not getting any younger!
Old 7 Jan 20, 06:15 PM  
Link to this Post
ely3857
Imagineer

I’ve never had a career to leave. I worked in a couple of high street banks from leaving school then left that when I had kids. I worked evenings and weekends at a supermarket when they were small. Once they were both in school I did a university access course followed by a BA and now I’m studying for my MA. I think my likely job will be for our city council as my BA is in social sciences and my MA in childhood studies. Our council has a big ethos on being a child friendly city so working in the child and families department would be my initial aim.

Edited at 06:24 PM.
ely3857 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 20, 06:21 PM  
Link to this Post
twogoto
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by cybermum View Post
Is this similar to the Vipkid company ? Our eldest son remote works and was looking into it but they wanted USA citizens only .
Yes it is ☺️ there are a few options for us in the UK, I teach with 3 of them if he wants some help getting hired! Just tell him to pop me an email across for more info to hello@homebasedteacher.com and I'll help as much as I can and can let him know the pros and cons of each x
Sept 21 TwoGoTo Aiya Napa - Amarande Hotel
Nov 21 TwoGoTo New York - The James New York Nomad
Mar 22 TwoGoTo Orlando - Cabana Bay
Sept 22 TwoGoTo Orlando - Sapphire Falls
Nov 22 TwoGoTo Rome - 9Hotel Cesari
July 23 TwoGoTo Kos - Mitsis Summer Palace
Sept 23 TwoGoTo Orlando - Sapphire Falls
twogoto is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 20, 06:34 PM  
Link to this Post
mickeyspal
Imagineer

Mobile

Yep I went from nursing to travel agent to chiropody, started that late 30's and did it till I retired a year ago. It was the best thing I ever did
mickeyspal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 20, 11:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Nesbits
Very Serious Dibber

Wish I was nearly 40 and knew what I know now. What’s the worst that could happen.

You’ll still be 40 whether you change career or not.

Good luck
Nesbits is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List