Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 29 Jan 20, 02:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Nanny
Imagineer

Solo sit down meals

Afternoon all

I often travel there solo.
I have mainly had the QSDP as this suits me to eat on the hoof

However, I am not on any plan when going again this year and would like to try a couple of sit down restaurants for a treat.

I don't think any of the buffets are what I am looking for, and neither the family style as it does seem a waste of money for one?

But am hoping someone out there will advise best places?

I don't want to be 'forced' on other families etc but neither do I mind chatting to anyone.

I do fancy Le Cellier as love my steak, but how is it as a solo? Do you feel lonely? Rushed? Different? etc
All restaurant suggestions and tips greatly received.

Would prefer lunch and dinner.

Thank you
Disney Nanny is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 20, 03:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Wigan Lass
Imagineer

I ate alone with my 5yo son at The Wave.

It was following a bit of a traumatic incident which led to my family missing our ADR at Ohana and having to eat separately. Because we didn’t have a reservation they sat us at the bar and we had a great time. If I was a solo traveller I would go and eat there at the bar again. There were plenty of people coming and going and it was a lovely social atmosphere.

Food is top class too. It’s a restaurant you can definitely eat at alone.
Hollywood brown Derby is another I’d eat at alone
Yacht Club October 2017
Contemporary October 2019
Wigan Lass is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 20, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Wigan Lass
Imagineer

I would also do California grill brunch if you’re there on a Sunday.
Yacht Club October 2017
Contemporary October 2019
Wigan Lass is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 20, 03:09 PM  
Link to this Post
kellsbells
Imagineer

I only did 1 TS meal on my solo trip and that was the Dine with an Imagineer at the Hollywood Brown Derby. If you're a big Disney fan, this is really great. We had a fantastic Imagineer and they seat about 10 of you around 1 table so it didn't feel awkward being along! It's fairly pricey but for me it was a fantastic experience and great food.

I did have a couple of other things booked but I just ran out of time/appetite to do them!

kellsbells is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 20, 06:02 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

I've done a few solo trips and have been to the following TS solo (that I can remember off the top of my head): California Grill brunch (multiple times), Narcoossee's brunch, Be Our Guest dinner, CRT dinner, Tiffins lunch (twice), Le Cellier lunch, Hollywood Brown Derby dinner, Art Smith's Homecoming late lunch, Garden Grill lunch, Kona Cafe breakfast.

Since you said Le Cellier - I ate at Le Cellier for lunch solo a couple of months ago. Got the cheddar cheese soup and the filet mignon with mushroom risotto. Food was great. The service was very good too, I had two servers (one was training) and they both took time to explain about various dishes on the menus to me and give recommendations. Never felt rushed. No issues at all with being solo there and I'd happily go back again, the food was very good (although expensive!).

California Grill brunch is another fantastic experience, though it's getting harder to book as an ADR. I've been multiple times and would go back again anytime. The atmosphere is lovely, you get unlimited mimosas, the appetiser buffet is delicious, entrees are good, service is great.

From my list, the places I might not go back to for a while might be Narcoossee's (food wasn't that great and dessert was inedible, and service was lukewarm), Tiffin's (I loved my first experience but second experience was a bit lackluster), CRT (mainly because I ate there just for the experience - I'm glad I did it, but don't feel the need to repeat it).

As a general rule from my experience - as a solo person, I get seated at my own table. So no issues with being forced on another party! I've read that the exception to this rule would be at places like Biergarten and Teppan Edo, but I guess there the show is part of the dinner experience so it might be less awkward sitting with other people? CMs seem to be very used to solo diners and I've never been made to feel awkward dining alone. I tend to bring along my iPhone with me so usually just read something or other during the meal and tend not to feel lonely at all. Character dining can be mildly awkward due to having to find someone to take photos (though passing CMs are always happy to do so), but can still be fun.
Old 29 Jan 20, 07:24 PM  
Link to this Post

I have dined at a few QS at Disney on my own but not a TS yet, although I have dined out alone elsewhere many times.

When I dine alone, I bring something with me like a book or ipad to keep my hands busy inbetween courses. I think at Disney I would be happy to go to any signature or 1TS on my own other than the buffets / character meals / family dining, I would feel too self conscious at those.

If you are happy to talk to other people, then maybe Teppan Edo or Beirgarten would be worth going to as the tables are shared.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 20, 03:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Nanny
Imagineer

Thank you for this detailed info.
All apart form the ones you have said would possibly not do again are on my list for me to whittle down
Disney Nanny is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 20, 05:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Nanny
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sky13 View Post
I've done a few solo trips and have been to the following TS solo (that I can remember off the top of my head): California Grill brunch (multiple times), Narcoossee's brunch, Be Our Guest dinner, CRT dinner, Tiffins lunch (twice), Le Cellier lunch, Hollywood Brown Derby dinner, Art Smith's Homecoming late lunch, Garden Grill lunch, Kona Cafe breakfast.

Since you said Le Cellier - I ate at Le Cellier for lunch solo a couple of months ago. Got the cheddar cheese soup and the filet mignon with mushroom risotto. Food was great. The service was very good too, I had two servers (one was training) and they both took time to explain about various dishes on the menus to me and give recommendations. Never felt rushed. No issues at all with being solo there and I'd happily go back again, the food was very good (although expensive!).

California Grill brunch is another fantastic experience, though it's getting harder to book as an ADR. I've been multiple times and would go back again anytime. The atmosphere is lovely, you get unlimited mimosas, the appetiser buffet is delicious, entrees are good, service is great.

From my list, the places I might not go back to for a while might be Narcoossee's (food wasn't that great and dessert was inedible, and service was lukewarm), Tiffin's (I loved my first experience but second experience was a bit lackluster), CRT (mainly because I ate there just for the experience - I'm glad I did it, but don't feel the need to repeat it).

As a general rule from my experience - as a solo person, I get seated at my own table. So no issues with being forced on another party! I've read that the exception to this rule would be at places like Biergarten and Teppan Edo, but I guess there the show is part of the dinner experience so it might be less awkward sitting with other people? CMs seem to be very used to solo diners and I've never been made to feel awkward dining alone. I tend to bring along my iPhone with me so usually just read something or other during the meal and tend not to feel lonely at all. Character dining can be mildly awkward due to having to find someone to take photos (though passing CMs are always happy to do so), but can still be fun.
Just had a look at Cali Grill on Disney. So I know I cannot book it yet but even if I could it is only giving dinner times as opposed to brunch time? How do I book Brunch and at what times is this open?
Thank you
Old 30 Jan 20, 05:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Nanny
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
I have dined at a few QS at Disney on my own but not a TS yet, although I have dined out alone elsewhere many times.

When I dine alone, I bring something with me like a book or ipad to keep my hands busy inbetween courses. I think at Disney I would be happy to go to any signature or 1TS on my own other than the buffets / character meals / family dining, I would feel too self conscious at those.

If you are happy to talk to other people, then maybe Teppan Edo or Beirgarten would be worth going to as the tables are shared.
This is exactly me
I don't want to do any family style and have done character when have gone with family so don't need any photo opportunities
So, am def going to treat myself this time.
Cali Grill is number 1 so far
Will probably choose one more, as only there for a week, and will be going offsite on quite a few days for some shopping.
Old 30 Jan 20, 05:42 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Disney Nanny View Post
Just had a look at Cali Grill on Disney. So I know I cannot book it yet but even if I could it is only giving dinner times as opposed to brunch time? How do I book Brunch and at what times is this open?
Thank you
Brunch only happens on Sundays - so you need to be searching California Grill for Sunday dates. This should then show an option of "brunch" which will let you search for brunch ADRs. These ADRs are usually around 10am-12pm ish.

These days I've been finding it really hard to book CG brunch though! They used to be readily available a couple of years ago, but I think the secret got out about how good brunch was. For my trip last year I had great difficulty getting a brunch ADR - checked at 180 days, checked intermittently throughout the next few months, signed up for Touring Plans reservation finder, all of which I had no luck with - only got a brunch ADR thanks to a very nice Dibber here who was cancelling their ADR and gave me theirs. I was casually checking for brunch ADRs for a potential trip this year and can't find any for my potential dates (less than 180 days at this point).